Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Piggly Wiggly growler station

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by dogdoc, May 26, 2012.

1. If this has been posted already I apologize for the repeat. Just saw on the facebook page for the Pig on James Island that they have over 60 beers on tap and the list includes some damn fine beer. I wish all the Pigs did the same.
  2. csbinva

csbinva Savant (300) Virginia Jan 13, 2010 Verified

Michael, if you head down, let me know, I have a few items on the wish list! Isn't that far down 95 and 26 this weekend, is it!? Cheers,
  3. If I get a chance to go you will be the first to know
  4. I went there yesterday to check it out but never saw a growler station. ??? I shoulda asked, but then again, I shouldn't have had to it if it was actually there. They did have a very nice selection of bottles, and I was assuming that by saying "on tap" they just meant bottles available.
  5. whitekiboko

whitekiboko Savant (425) South Carolina Sep 22, 2006 Verified

Both Harborview and Maybank pigs have 6 tap growler stations. I think the one almost to folly also has one but can't remember....

The first two have nice beer sections, but the folly one - both in layout and selection, i dont ever remember impressed.
  6. The maybank pig is the one he's referring to. If they're not pouring (on the 6 open taps) one of the 60 that you're looking for, they will run back and switch kegs to get you a growler of what you want. I was in there a few weeks ago and heard that from the manager.
  7. There are quite a few Piggly Wiggly's with Growler Stations around town that I know of:

James Island (both Pigs)
    North Charleston (Otranto)
    Mt. Pleasant (Seaside Farms)
    West Ashley (Northbridge)

I just bought Growlers of Holy City Sex Panther IPA and a Allagash Curieux at the Otranto store yesterday.
  8. Bought a Coast Boy King Growler yesterday at the myrtle beach pig
    wolfeman007 likes this.
  9. rnorgart

rnorgart Savant (300) South Carolina Nov 16, 2005 Verified

The Maybank Pig actually has 77 beers available for growler fills right now. As someone mentioned they only have like 6 taps visible, but I guess they have all the kegs in the back and switch 'em around as needed. They have a nice booklet / list thing they print out that you can take with you with descriptions of all the beers. They even have their own pig growlers and pint glasses. Even though all that is impressive for a grocery store, I still think your better bet is chas beer exchange. Cbx always at least a few "gems" among it's Tap selection, where the pigs list seems big but more common. Overall I'm a little leery of every gas station, restaurant, grocery store, etc. in Chas opening a growler station over night. There is no way they are all getting the business they need for their stock to stay fresh and I really doubt the staff at all these places have the know-how or care or desire to properly care for things and keep lines clean, growlers sanitized,etc.

Just my $ .02.
  10. Quick write-up and pics of the Maybank Pig, from my buddy's visit this past Saturday, in case anyone's interested.

rnorgart - I'm with you, better safe than sorry. I generally stick to the breweries or CBX for fills. Beyond the freshness issue, if I'm gonna pay $15(ish) for 64oz of beer, I want it filled correctly. Have had good experiences elsewhere, but have also had some shady ones.
    exposur3 and wolfeman007 like this.
  11. bullitt699

bullitt699 Zealot (90) Texas Apr 27, 2012 Verified

Bleh- I love the Pig- don't live anywhere near one.... WANT a PW growler (Ok yeah the growler fill station too... but you can't have everything)
  12. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Advocate (590) Minnesota May 6, 2010 Verified

growing up in the south, can someone take a pic of the pig wig growler??? Ppppuuuullllllllleeeeeeaaaasssseeee
  13. Oh I am pretty sure I want a Piggy Growler !!!
  14. whitekiboko

whitekiboko Savant (425) South Carolina Sep 22, 2006 Verified

For the rest of the album from which your avatar came. /lecher

Jk. I know it's not your pic.