PicoBrew Zymatic: Automatic Beer Brewing Appliance. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Kevin_Young, Sep 30, 2013.

?

Is this something you would ever consider purchasing if you didn't have the space for a large set up

Poll closed Oct 21, 2013.
  1. Yes, it looks great

8.9%
  2. Yes, but it is pricey

22.2%
  3. Never

68.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

I think that might be one of the available levels on the kickstarter. Limit of 3 poisonings, though.

Tebuken likes this.
  2. OddNotion

OddNotion Pooh-Bah (1,853) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Well congratulations you have now left an electronic trail. Intent is proven.

Tebuken and jncastillo87 like this.
  3. jester5120

jester5120 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

and also hummer

4. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

Just posted my 2nd inquiry about DMS and lager brewing on pico's system on twitter. I hope they respond this time cuz I really wanna know where a beer I make with my own two pointer fingers comes from. :-)

5. koopa

koopa Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey

If that's your logic, you may as well just buy beer that tastes good.

TastyAdventure likes this.
  6. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

sajaffe1 and nsheehan like this.
  7. kjyost

kjyost Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Canada (MB)

Utterly irrelevant but aren't EPA standards based on a ludicrously slow acceleration rate of something like 3.5 miles/hr per second? I know our Cdn standards are somewhere around there... That and our "highway" numbers are based off a BS road course that averages less than 60 mph.

8. rrock44

rrock44 Pooh-Bah (1,793) Oct 27, 2009 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

My first thought was "dang, I need to get one of these." Then, I thought I can get a lot of lagunitas or Sierra Nevada or deschutes for $1500 instead - roughly 214 six packs give or take. Yes I am lazy. Cool idea, though.

bifrost17 likes this.
  9. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

Yeah it's kind of a cool idea, but I think it totally takes the art out of brewing. I'm a homebrewer and there's no way I'd ever get one of these things. I mean come on, for $1500 I could buy some top of the line homebrewing equipment and actually take the time to create something awesome myself...or I guess I could just get this and press a button and sit around for 4 hours...

10. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Top-notch brew eh?

11. RenoZymurgist

RenoZymurgist Initiate (0) May 4, 2003 Nevada

I guess fermentation temperature or dropping the yeast dosn't matter. Microsoft finally figured it out...

PaulyB83 likes this.
  12. mrcraft

mrcraft Grand Pooh-Bah (3,322) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I need to learn how to brew, the nitty and gritty. This gizmo won't teach me how.

PaulyB83 likes this.
  13. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

inB4 AB In Bev lays off 3000 employees and makes the best beer in the world.

14. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

So you can only brew enough to fit in that tiny keg? And it costs that much? Think of all the great brewing supplies AND beer you could buy with that! Part of the reason people get into homebrewing is the whole "hands on" thing and this takes that away. Fun and innovative but not what people are looking for.

15. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

Yeah sounds about right .. Although I forgo MPG tricks .. You see im in love with driving which is why I have a 08' Bullitt mustang with cams and full stainless exhaust. I have taken the 19/25 mpg mustang mileage and turned it into 14/20 :slight_smile:. I am not proud of it but I enjoy my drives to and from work :wink:

16. gshak

gshak Savant (1,186) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

Ctrl+Alt+Del ...

17. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

you gotta work your hands to the bone if you really wanna learn something, while i'm all for seeing technology constantly progressing this is kind of off putting to me personally. i wanna get into home brewing one day and i plan on learning every single step in its raw form. i'm sure it would be nice to see how this machine works, but it's not something i would want to invest in

18. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Maven (1,397) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

My mileage numbers with the GTO were far less impressive! :slight_smile:

19. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

5.7 or 6.0 ?

20. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Maven (1,397) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

5.7. It was a 'first kid on the block' thing, plus I had just turned 50 and I needed an answer to my Brother's Camaro :slight_smile:. Add to that the fact that they were selling for about $10K below sticker at that time -- right before they caught on in '05 ('caught on', in relative terms. It never was much of a sales success.). It was a no-brainer!

jncastillo87 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.