Oskar Blues GUBNA now a seasonal, no longer single-hop

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by shand, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shand

shand Pooh-Bah (2,166) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm one of those guys who absolutely loved the original GUBNA formula, so I'm kind of apprehensive to see what Oskar Blues has done here. They do know what they're doing with hoppy brews though.

-------------------

LONGMONT, CO (Feb 2013) - This March, GUBNA Imperial IPA will celebrate its 3-year anniversary as Oskar Blues’ hoppiest craft beer in a can. With a mutated overload of hops, GUBNA will be a limited seasonal release March through May 2013. GUBNA was moved from a full time offering to a three month limited-release to compliment a seasonal series featuring the cyclopean Ten FIDY Imperial Stout (October through February), and a yet to be announced third seasonal slated for June through September.

GUBNA was inbred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBU’s with a single hop to emphasize that complexity of character can arise from simple elements. This time around GUBNA (10% ABV, 100+ IBUs) cranks up the complexity of hops by piling Cascade hops on top of copious amounts of Summit hops and the backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. North American 2-row barley combines with the other grains to lay the foundation for the hop onslaught to come. Post-fermentation dry hopping allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced spicy yet round middle and finishing with a brisk, clean bitterness.

“We get off on challenging ourselves and our beer drinkers with hops. This year’s GUBNA comes from that fire in the belly to up the ante of GUBNA’s motley hop character,” says head brewer Dave Chichura.

Oskar Blues continues to build on its 52% growth in 2012 and will launch new distribution in Michigan beginning March 4th. Last year, Oskar Blues expanded distribution to new markets for the first time in four years. The markets: Chicago, Ohio, Northern Kentucky and founder Dale Katechis’ home state of Alabama each established the largest craft beer launch in territory history topped by 14,000+ case equivalents during the first week in Ohio.

GUBNA Imperial IPA is available in limited-seasonal quantities (March to May) and sold in 12oz. four-packs priced at $14.99. Oskar Blues Brewery’s GUBNA Imperial IPA is just one of an impressive line-up of boundary-busting canned beer getable in 31 states. To find out where to purchase Oskar Blues beer visit http://www.oskarblues.com/about-us/beer-locator

About Oskar Blues Brewery
    Founded by Dale Katechis in 1997 as a brewpub and grill, Oskar Blues Brewery launched their craft-brewed beer canning operations in 2002 in Lyons, Colo. They were the first American craft brewery to brew and can their beer. Today there are more than 200 craft breweries canning their beers. The original crew used a hand-canning line on a tabletop machine that sealed one can at a time. Oskar Blues Brewery in Longmont packaged 59,000 in 2011 and grew to 85,750 in 2012 while opening an additional brewery in Brevard, NC for 2013.
    http://www.oskarblues.com
    http://www.facebook.com/OskarBluesCans
    http://twitter.com/oskarblues
    http://www.youtube.com/oskarbluescans

###

2. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

I'm a big fan of GUBNA too but am curious to see if the Cascades improve the hop profile. I know most people think it's way too garlicy/oniony (which it is very much those things)...maybe the Cascades will make it a little less polarizing. I'll definitely be one to find out first hand as I look forward to buying this.

DanE likes this.
  3. DeutschesBier

DeutschesBier Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2009 Maryland

The first time I had Gubna was when it was first released a couple years ago. I got a lot of Tangerine and slight dankness. I really liked it a lot. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a fresh can since then.

Looking forward to revisiting it, even with all the reports of garlic and onion.

AventinusCam, kmatlack and Kopfschuss like this.
  4. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

OB reps had mentioned this was on the way on a local store's Facebook page. Lots of people were talking about onion and garlic character from Summit hops, so the OB rep mentioned that this change was coming.
    I'm pretty hopeful. I like their other hoppy beers (especially Gordon/G'Knight) and the somewhat similar Renegade Elevation doesn't have that same vampire repellent note.

5. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Ohio

We just got Oskar Blues in Ohio not long ago. Has this been a seasonal for a while? I have found everything BUT Gubna in Ohio

I'd like to try it if it comes to Ohio

6. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Will this reduce the amount fishiness? I'm still going to pass on this mess.

JDizzle likes this.
  7. Moose90

Moose90 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

I was not so much a fan of the original Gubna, spoke with one of their merchandisers last week about the new version and she was quite excited. Should be in most stores by middle to end of next week. Looking forward to this one, I found the original one to be a bit too heavy on the sweet sticky malt notes, but we'll see.

8. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Savant (1,225) Mar 23, 2008 California

I liked the beer, just never saw a fresh 4pack since it's original release.
    Glad it's going to seasonal, I'll pick one up every year now that I know they're gonna be fresh.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  9. Newbiebeer

Newbiebeer Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2012 Connecticut

I passed up a 4 pack of this just the other day. $15 seemed a little steep given the average rating here. Maybe I will check it out now. Will there be a way to tell the new from the old? Do these cans have freshness dates on them?

10. proseberry

proseberry Initiate (0) May 2, 2008 Illinois

Hey- Yes, they are "Canned on" dated on the bottom. I'll look forward to seeing this, although I know most stores already have a bit in stock, so when and if we get the new stuff will be questionable.
    I did get some G'Knight in 16 OZ. cans last week. I THOUGHT previous to that they were in 12oz.-ers. I think. Could be wrong on that. Bye.

11. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

I will have to give this another shot now.

12. BB1313

BB1313 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,278) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Gubna is really the only Oskar Blues beer I haven't tried that's been on my radar for years. I really wanted to taste the 100% Summit version that's been so extremely polarizing the past few years.. oh well..

13. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

Summit Hop equals AVOID. Green onion bomb.

forrestbetts likes this.
  14. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Zealot (603) Jun 30, 2009 California

It is interesting that Gubna 4-packs of 12oz cans sell for $15 when Deviant Dale's 4-packs of 16oz cans go for $12.50. Personally I think Deviant Dale's is a much better beer, and getting 16 more ounces for $2.50 less seems like a no-brainer.

15. buffs9

buffs9 Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2008 Colorado

Costs more to produce, lots more hops/resources go into - which is why most double IPAs cost more than pales and 'regular' IPAs.

16. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

I love GUBNA. Had it at the brewey. Can't wait to try the new recipe

17. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Zealot (603) Jun 30, 2009 California

At 8% Deviant Dale's is much closer to an Imperial IPA. It can't honestly cost that much more to make Gubna which weighs in at 10%.

18. nhindian

nhindian Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2010 Pennsylvania

They both are huge onion bombs so..

FATC1TY likes this.
  19. SpunkyHopslammer

SpunkyHopslammer Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2011 Illinois

I like Deviant Dale. The Gubna was a drain pour.

20. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Pundit (955) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

haters gonna hate....just means more for the good kids :wink:

jzeilinger, chew76 and Lantern like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.