1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

One for the Noobs: Hints and Hauls

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Ohsaycanyoubeer, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boogercrack

boogercrack Initiate (0) May 24, 2012 Texas

make sure you stop by http://steinsdeli.net/home/ ... great sammiches, better beer selection. i can't go in there for lunch without spending $100 on beers to take back to texas. :rolling_eyes:

2. Haywire

Haywire Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2012 California

Hint #4 - The sum of the longitude and latitude of where I will be shipping to is greater than the sum of the longitude and latitude of my favorite football team (a team which is not in the Superbowl, nor was it in the playoffs).

By the way, I think I know who is shipping to me. Pretty darn certain at least.

3. zekeman17

zekeman17 Pooh-Bah (2,048) Feb 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My target's home state is the birthplace of an actor who was in two of my favorite shows growing up. One from the late 70s and one from the mid 80s. Both shows have been recently remade, one as a TV series, one as a movie.
    Out the door on my way to the bottle shop!

4. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

[​IMG]

5. Squidly

Squidly Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2006 New Jersey

Though I no longer live there, I was born in my target's state.
    My target is a relative newcomer to this website.

6. innuendobrewskiman63

innuendobrewskiman63 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2012 New York

My target is located in a different time zone than I and has access to a lot of great beers from his home state. I was able to hit a couple wants but most of what will be heading out will be limited release beer out of his distro

To my sender, if you were going to send glassware and haven't already purchased/packed it up. I have a lot of pint glasses and am not really in the need for any more, though I do love stemware

7. Ohsaycanyoubeer

Ohsaycanyoubeer Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2012 Colorado
    Deactivated

Everyone in this BIF has a penis... but great hint :slight_smile:

8. chriltz

chriltz Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2010 Illinois

Well my plan to win big at the boat and use the money to totally violate my target's porch failed (why didn't anybody tell me i was supposed to walk away from the craps table while up $200?)

So far, though, ive got a nice box working. 92 ounces with an average rating of ~96...Includes 2 wants along with an aged had of us that he reviewed very highly. Hoping to pick up a couple more wants in a couple weeks.

9. Haywire

Quick question since I've never done this before. I know there is an upper limit of 200oz. Can I accidentally go over that? It's either I send just under 210oz or I have to send 188oz and I'd prefer to send more. Only thing I'm waiting on is swag and I should get that Monday. So, hopefully, my package arrives by Friday.

10. wyatt13

wyatt13 Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2011 Illinois

I'm just bad at counting :wink:

11. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California

Ohsaycanyoubeer said, in the NBO, that if you want to pay to ship more than of beer you were welcome to. Specifically said to me, as I prefer to send 12bottle styro shippers and even with a tulip in there from a local bruery brewery its still going to have more than 200oz of beer.

Whoops, looks like that might be hint number 3.

12. Haywire

Where do you get the styro shippers from? I was planning on bubble wrapping the bejebus out of my bottles and then packing it tight with newspaper for extra insurance. Styro shippers might be better and more cost effective.

13. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California

Locally, I can pick them up at TotalWine, and some BevMo's carry them. I'm unfamiliar with chain big box alcohol stores in your area, but you can call around and ask. Alternately, its still early in the shipping window, so you have plenty of time to order from uline.com or uhaul.com. Styro tends to be a bit more expensive than bubblewrap and newspaper, but I've yet to have anything break via styro and thats good enough for me.

14. Ohsaycanyoubeer

Ohsaycanyoubeer Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2012 Colorado
    Deactivated

If it goes over then its fine, I just don't want things turning into race of quantity over quality. For example, I'm shipping 8 bottles and only 135 ounces... but it is all wants and extremely high quality. No fluff.

15. FEUO

My target WAS going to get 400oz of 100% Colt 45 supremacy.

I guess I'll have to scale it back to a few wants, brewery only releases, and local distro only brews.

16. zekeman17

zekeman17 Pooh-Bah (2,048) Feb 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My target WAS going to get a Hopslam, but I accidentally drank it last night.
    Damn shame, too, I think he would have really enjoyed it--I did.
    There should be no complaints on the box I'm putting together, and I may even stumble upon another Hopslam today in my travels.

17. FEUO

I had the same thing happen with about 4 of my target's wants. Whoops!

The contents of the box are compiled. Will be wrapping and cramming today whilst imbibing during the brother bowl.
    Shirts make great swag and wrapping material.

18. radio2525

radio2525 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

I have put together 115 oz i think i will wait a week or two to see if i can find some fun beers

19. funkyaudio

funkyaudio Pundit (983) Feb 14, 2009 Illinois

I have about 158oz and have not even gone shopping yet.

20. wyatt13

wyatt13 Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2011 Illinois

My box currently consists of 106 oz. of Midwestern deliciousness. The lowest BA rating of any individual beer is a 91, and I would guess that the weighted-by-volume rating of my box as a whole is 96+.

I'm hoping to round out my box this week with some more goodies from a Chicago area brewery and another brewery that is considered "basically a Chicago brewery." If you browse the Great Lakes forum at all, you'll notice that the brewery keeps burning down :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.