Oktoberfest 2015

Discussion in 'Germany' started by einhorn, Jun 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akerstache

Akerstache Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2015 Germany

Well, I've been to the South and I like BBQ so I guess it makes sense to me.

For fries? Most definitely. Most people are used to having fries done in a few minutes. Plus university students often either don't have time for slow cooking or lack the patience altogether.

steveh likes this.
  2. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Those I get, but I'm used to places that cook on order, not pile the fries under a heat lamp... but then, I'm also a long way from university these days! :wink:

3. Akerstache

Well, I'm sure you know there's quite the difference between us Germans and your U.S. "customization culture" when it comes to ordering food.
    It's somewhat understandable when you're running from Pontius to Pilatus all day and then come home at like 8 or 10 PM and you just want have some grub. I personally also just really don't like the taste of bought fries and most frozen pizza.

steveh likes this.
  4. patto1ro

patto1ro Pooh-Bah (1,998) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society

What story is that?

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

You broke your ankle doing some "wild dancing while wearing your lederhosen". This story has a bit more panache don't you think!?!

Cheers!

Like this:

patto1ro and Akerstache like this.
  6. Akerstache

Bavarian breakdancing.

Zing.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  7. jumboj11

jumboj11 Initiate (0) May 24, 2009 Georgia

Thanks for all the tips everyone. We're going to be in Munich 5 days before heading to Belgium. Anyone have any must see/do items while we're in Munich? (both beer and non-beer suggestions are welcomed)

8. lwhcchh

lwhcchh Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2010 Oklahoma

If you have the time, take a day and go southwest of Munich to the monastery Kloister Andechs. They have great beer gardens and brew some fine beer. Beautiful scenery and very peaceful. It is possible to take a regional day train to the nearby village and walk to the monastery. Check into it..You wont regret it.

Bierman9 likes this.
  9. PhillyStyle

PhillyStyle Pooh-Bah (1,775) Apr 8, 2008 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah Society

I am heading to the Volksfest this year. Any tips for a first time attendee? I think that I should be there on a Monday. Thanks,

10. Bierman9

Bierman9 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,669) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well, I'm now officially going, as my flights have been booked and paid for.... My 30th straight OFest, 31st overall. :grimacing:

I couldn't get what I wanted to arrive in München early on 20SEP, so I booked late out of BOS on the 18th to Nürnberg, arriving on the 19th and staying 1 night there (got a free hotel room!). Then it's by train down to München for 20-23SEP, followed by Bamberg 24-27SEP. After that, I head to Holland (most likely Maastricht) for 5 nights before flying back to Boston on 03OCT.....

While in München I will be hitting some old faves, like the Weißes Bräuhaus, Kloster Andechs and the Augustiner Bräustubn... Perhaps Forschungsbräu if their Bock is on, and hopefully try Camba/Tap One and/or Giesinger.....

Prosit!!

11. -N8

-N8 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2014 Germany

Do you have tent tickets? Or are you going during the day?

12. PhillyStyle

Pooh-Bah Society

Should be arriving in the morning, and I plan on being there all day. Would like to hit multiple tents, if possible.

I am guessing from your question that if I want to get into a tent in the evening, I should try to get tent tickets?

13. -N8

Yes and most tents are sold out by now. As are most hotel rooms.

You could get lucky tho.

Pro Tip: Spend an evening in the tents for the experience, then go durning the day thereafter. I highly doubt you'll want to go in the morning and stay until midnight. That's a lotta festing.

14. PhillyStyle

Pooh-Bah Society

Which tents would you recommend?

15. cu29

cu29 Zealot (546) Sep 26, 2005 Wisconsin

Tough question. I like them all. But I find myself always returning to the Wasenwirt. It is usually a younger crowd, but a fun crowd. They play some interesting music.....like the Macarena by Los del Rio. I look forward to it each visit! And the Stuttgarter Hofbräu fest beer is always reliable.

I usually enjoy the Schwaben Bräu beer, but last year it wasn't quite as good as it has been. But in the past I ranked it number one at the fest. The Schwaben Bräu fest tent can be great.

I used to rank the Dinkelacker fest beer dead last......but the last two years it has been great! I've had great times in the Klaus and Klaus Dinkelacker tent.

And, well, the Fürstenberg fest beer is ok. Light and very drinkable, but unremarkable.

Try them all!

How many days do you visit the fest? Check out all the tents. Depending on the day, some tents can be quite dead, while others are rocking. If you are there on a Monday, they might very well be slow until later. But most fill up quite nicely in the evening. I've never had a problem finding a seat except once.....but weekends can be busy. You should be fine on a Monday.

I love the Oktoberfest, but I tend to favor the Cannstatter.

I'm guessing you have checked out this site:

http://cannstatter-volksfest.de/en/volksfest/

PS- I'll be at Cannstatter Sept 25 and 26 if it fits your plans for a meet.

Prost!

Chris von Milwaukee

-N8 likes this.
  16. -N8

It's that time of year...

[​IMG]

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  17. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

What time of year? Imperial Stoutfest? :wink: And Starkbierzeit is 7 months away! :grinning:

18. -N8

I find it odd AM can make Milk Stout and Camba can't. Am I missing something? AM is a German brewery.

19. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2009 Italy

tis the season...
    [​IMG]

now if I can just get my hands on some of the pale Spaten Oktoberfest without paying an arm and a leg.

20. Cooper925

Cooper925 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2012 Indiana

Question for you all---so on very last minute notice my wife and I are going to Oktoberfest for the first time this year. We do not have any tent reservations and are hoping to be able to find space in a tent since it will just be the two of us. We will be arriving on October 2 (Friday) early in the morning. My initial thought was that we would rest up and do some light sight seeing on Friday and go to the festival on Saturday, but I know that may be asking for trouble since it is also the holiday. My question to you all is would it be better to fight the jet lag and attempt to find space in a tent that Friday rather than risk being shut out on Saturday? How impossible do you think it will be to find a seat and is it not enjoyable if we don't get one? Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.