Newbie House Beer Wants to Be Your Average, Everyday Craft Brew

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by werdnacross, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. are_doubleyou

are_doubleyou Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2014 Illinois

I like the idea, but I'm not sure if people will buy a lot of more expensive American and European Pale Lagers.

crob3888 likes this.
  2. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

I'd hit it.

It just sounds like a non pretentious all malt pale lager.

3. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Utah

Is this really such an under-served market?

For example, hereabouts, Uinta Brewing Company offers "801 Pilsner".

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/130890/

It's pretty much Budweiser for, ahem, those whose generation isn't being spoken to by Budweiser's marketing message.

4. RobinLee

RobinLee Maven (1,387) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

What's the incentive for me to buy this over, say, Little Yella Pils? Cost? Flavor?

crob3888 likes this.
  5. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

"Three years ago...the only available craft beers for sale were pricey, big flavor, high-ABV brews, and he saw a niche to be filled."

That's just so inaccurate it hurts.

However, they're targeting people with a craft mindset and macro budgets - aka, young drinkers. There are plenty of them. I bet they'll do just fine, but I'm not particularly interested.

6. Dicers

Dicers Grand Pooh-Bah (3,412) Sep 2, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Sounds like someone who wanted to post an article and get their name mentioned most of their facts are just ludicrous like @pitweasel pointed out

XmnwildX12 likes this.
  7. brewmastercat

brewmastercat Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 California

This beer couldn't be more for the hipster-esque craft beer/PBR audience...well maybe if they threw a ribbon on it.

ecpho likes this.
  8. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

Sounds like another hipster beer. I don't see the point.

ecpho likes this.
  9. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Craft macro style lagers: PNW... been there done that. These beers are great for crushing on a hot working day or at the water, etc. The original article isn't exactly exposing a novel idea as many craft beer companies have been creating this style:

10 Barrel Brewing
    [​IMG]

Caldera
    [​IMG]

Burnside
    [​IMG]

Churchkey can co
    [​IMG]

TongoRad likes this.
  10. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm all for lower abv, less intense, sessionable brews, but I don't think this is a segment of the market that is still unaddressed. And with Leisure Time Lager fro Jack's Abby accessible in my area, House Beer will have much to compete with. That said, I'd certainly give them a shot.

AirBob and joelwlcx like this.
  11. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

If you have a population of people looking for things new and different, how many will settle for average and every day?

12. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Two things-

1- Their marketing scheme seems to be relying on total ignorance of what beer enthusiasts are all about.

2- I doubt it will be nearly as good as Anchor California Lager, anyway.

crob3888, AlcahueteJ and afrokaze like this.
  13. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Or Boston Lager, or Brooklyn Lager, Sierra Nevada's Summerfest or Nooner, locally Jack's Abby Jabby Brau, or to a lesser degree (I know it's not all-malt) Yuengling Lager...

crob3888, AirBob and TongoRad like this.
  14. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, but you could argue that those are different styles (Vienna, Pilsner...); what these guys are saying is "...but there’s no premium American lager that’s craft," said Sindell. Until now." At least Anchor, as well as the ones pictured above, are in the same category that they are trying to stake out.

I'd suggest doing a blind tasting, but then they wouldn't be able to make use of their key feature: Marketing Message :slight_smile:.

Ranbot and crob3888 like this.
  15. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Gotcha, from a marketing stand point I can see that.

From strictly a beer stand point I'm not seeing too much difference between this and Boston Lager aside from potentially color (I haven't seen House Beer next to Boston Lager).

House Beer is stated as using Noble Hops and crystal malts and clocks in at a 4.8% abv.

Boston Lager uses Noble hops and American two-row pale and caramel malts at a 4.9% abv. Sam Adams doesn't really specifiy style, and even lists it as a "Go-To Beer" on their website now.

But still, I get, and agree with your point.

TongoRad likes this.
  16. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

Doomed to failure.

Style over Substance.

17. SCW

SCW Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2004 New York

18. muck1979

muck1979 Zealot (531) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

I'd give it a whirl, but we already have plenty of American-style lagers here in Minnesota that aren't brewed by BMC.

302BeerGuy likes this.
  19. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Anheuser Busch claims that Budweiser and Bud Light (together those two brands alone account for 25% of all the beer sold in the US - so those qualify as "major beers" from "big guys" one would think) use only rice as an adjunct, and take 30 days to produce, including 21 days of a lagering/krausening period.

Of course, they have shaved a few days off that lagering time in the past 100 years or so...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.