New to Portland.....

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Jays2716, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jays2716

Jays2716 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2012 Missouri

I just moved up here and was hoping for some help from people who have had the time to thoroughly explore the local beer scene. What are the brewpubs, tap houses and bottle shops most worth visiting first? So far, I've made it to APEX, Bailey's, Henry's, Deschuttes, Bridgeport, Rogue, Laurelwood, Hopworks, and Caps and Corks. I have a few others on the list (HotD, Belmont Station, etc,), but would love suggestions, especially anything I'm missing around city center.

2. hannont

hannont Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2008 Oregon

Beermongers and Beaumont market are places to check out

3. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2008 California

4. ramnuts

ramnuts Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2009 Oregon

Lucky Lab (several locations), Migration, Upright and Fifth Quadrant

5. Jays2716

I appreciate the suggestions. I've been to Migration and heard of Lucky Lab, the rest are new to me.

6. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Breakside, Bridgetown Beerhouse, Lompoc Sidebar, Gigantic, Roscoe's (all for beer and/or bottles). Burnside & Coalition are worth checking out too, IMO. Word is The Commons tasting room is cool, but I've yet to go, so I can't speak from first-hand experience.

Grain & Gristle for good, reasonably priced food & a great beer list. Bazi Bierbrasserie is good for both of those things as well.

I sometimes like to stop at Lompoc Hedge House on Division. They don't have the major beer cache of the big boys (HotD, Cascade, Deschutes, etc.) but it's a cool spot to sit on the front or side patio and have a pint on a nice summer afternoon/evening. I also like Roadside Attraction on SE 12th as a never-mentioned-in-these-threads kind of place. And that's the great thing about living in/near PDX--being able to discover all the places that are never really mentioned in the "where should I drink in PDX?" threads. There are soooo many great spots to discover, and now you'll have the chance to find them!

msubulldog25 likes this.
  7. honkduh

honkduh Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

8. Colloby

Colloby Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2009 Arizona

Last weekend I visited the Mash Tun on Alberta - great beers, and if you are a vegetarian, they have amazing home-made burgers

9. mudbug

mudbug Pooh-Bah (1,738) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Horsebrass, go hungry and thirsty and take the public transportation home.

IpeeA and hopsbreath like this.
  10. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Yes! Also nearby is Hop & Vine. Another good patio there. They also have some very good, very underrated brunch on weekends. Ooh! Also on Killingsworth... The Florida Room. Great hipster watching. And a respectable tap list.

Are they brewing their own beers yet? I've been there twice and they've never had a house beer on tap. In fact, the brewhouse didn't even look operational. (Insert smiley with hand rubbing chin).

11. djbreezy

djbreezy Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2008 Washington

Welcome. Sounds like you need to make your way down to The Commons and try the Farmhouse Ale.

12. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Pundit (820) Oct 15, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

Just in case people don't know, they now open at 2 pm on Saturdays.

djbreezy likes this.
  13. Jays2716

So basically all the beer is on the other side of the river... I'll have to make it over to that side more.

djbreezy likes this.
  14. boralyl

boralyl Savant (1,000) Apr 17, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

15. Shmeal

Shmeal Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2009 Oregon

Pretty much yah. I like it though, it would be a lot harder to drink responsibly if I didn't have to drive home constantly

16. boMD

boMD Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2009 Oregon

Tri-Met has volunteered to be your DD for a modest fee.

17. Shmeal

Shmeal Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2009 Oregon

I'm asian, therefore my sense of direction isn't so hot. I'd be on Tri-Met for days trying to get home.

18. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Shrug. It's Portland. Tell the OP to ride his bike (I always did).

Distances are relatively short, the city is relatively flat, and I know I always felt a lot better about the damage I did to myeslf at the Moon and 6, Belmont Station, Laurelwood, HorseBrass, Claudia's, etc. afterwards.

19. seanchai

seanchai Maven (1,418) May 23, 2009 Virginia

Very nice food/beer/gastropub-ish option is Sunshine Tavern on SE Division. Had a very nice dinner there this past Sunday on my recent trip.

20. Jays2716

No bike, but I live downtown so almost everything is walkable. I'll have to drive or bus it to the east side until I get a bike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.