New to Phoenix/Glendale AZ, need beer.

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by MrWilliams, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrWilliams

MrWilliams Zealot (625) Nov 24, 2013 Arizona

Ok so I'm not desperate like the title may suggest but I just moved to the area, 51st and Thunderbird to be a bit more precise and am looking for some good bottle shops. I've already hit up the BevMo and Total Wine near Arrowhead mall. But I'm looking for places that have decent prices and can surprise with hidden gems. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. BearDownCats

BearDownCats Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2013 Arizona

It's definitely tough on the westside of town to find hidden gems or a good selection at all. Not all bevmos are created equal either, the best one closest to you is at Nortera. What are you looking for?

3. MrWilliams

I'm not really looking for anything in particular. I just don't know the area very well yet and while I can Google bottle shops to see whats around, I was just hoping for a few suggestions on better places.

4. mitchgx

mitchgx Crusader (424) Aug 7, 2005 Arizona

Unfortunately you're in a bit of a wasteland in that part of town, from what I know. Beyond the BevMo and TW choices in the greater PHX area, the good bottle shops are in the East Valley: Tops Liquor in Tempe, Sun Devil Liquor in Mesa, Papago Brewing in Scottsdale, Whole Foods in Chandler, GCM and Quick n' Shine in Gilbert.

MrWilliams likes this.
  5. MrWilliams

Thanks, the job I'm starting requires a bit of traveling so these are some stops I'll make when out that way. For now I'll look around here, there's plenty of breweries that I couldn't get in FL so I'm not without options.

6. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Grand Pooh-Bah (4,092) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

you might fend gems at the other options above, also Whole Foods Chandler, Scottsdale, & Highland Ave, but you're unlikely to beat Total Wine or Bevmo, or even Costco for prices on identical product. At anywhere in the valley, check freshness dates. And I don't recommend buying non-dated product here, even if it is a local brewery.

#6 yemenmocha, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    Kylo76 likes this.
  7. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona

Also stop by Arizona Wilderness in Gilbert. Although the are new, the do growlers of their beers. They are doing some amazing stuff there. Also great advice from Yemenmocha. He steered me in the right direction when I was a noob here 2 years ago. Thanks to him I have found some outstanding places and beers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.