New to Ohio (2015)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by miketd, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KSOZE

KSOZE Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Ohio

New MadTree BA offering coming:

[​IMG]

2. SixThousandDollars

SixThousandDollars Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Florida

Cinnamon Toast Crunch was still on at Fatheads last night so I tried it and loved it. Made me think of GLBC Rackhouse without the barrel aging with a little more spice. It was alright cold, but fantastic as it warmed.

Sunny D also smells exactly like its namesake. Took home a growler.

3. UcDru

UcDru Maven (1,363) Aug 15, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Pirate Noir hitting Cincinnati this week

KSOZE, Josbor11 and MastaaaGrillaaa like this.
  4. ddedhed

ddedhed Guest (0)

I thought that might be the case. It works out to $8.33 per 750mL. Eh, what the hell. I just hope they give a decent pick up window. I live in Dayton, and after visiting them this weekend, I look forward to exploring more. Pun totally intentional.

meanmutt likes this.
  5. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Ohio

IBUsive mosaic hops were replaced with citra for the most recent batch. That's what I heard IIRC.

6. ODYSEYY

ODYSEYY Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2013 Ohio

That explains why I liked it so much better recently. I think I was one of the only ones that found the original IBUsive boring and forgettable.

7. wildcatdotdotdot

wildcatdotdotdot Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

yea - that price for a big bottle sour is pretty good I think. Plus - every infusion variation beer they have done thus far has been delicious. Makes me think their truly sour stuff that takes time will be just as good as they've alluded that at least a few of them will have extra stuff thrown in - fruits, etc.

ddedhed likes this.
  8. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

Didn't care for the original IBUsive either, found it to almost entirely flavorless with no aroma.

9. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

Your nose be broken, bra.

JArt, Josbor11, BigSpeen3436 and 3 others like this.
  10. SteelCranium

SteelCranium Crusader (401) Jul 1, 2010 Ohio

Would be interesting to find out the reason why they changed the hops. Probably many more folks using mosaic with limited growers. While the nose and bitterness wasn't extreme, I found it to be a good alternative to the more bitter head hunter, hop stalker, and juju. A good IPA to get non-IPA folks hooked on the style. I wonder how the new recipe will fit in with their others with somewhat similar profiles. Mosaic made it different from the rest, good or otherwise.

11. Zonian1

Zonian1 Pooh-Bah (2,062) Sep 29, 2012 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I made my first visit to Old Firehouse Brewing in Williamsburg, 30 miles east of Cincy yesterday. Very cool space located in an old firehouse. They've been open about 11 months. 7 of their own beers on tap yesterday. All were decent, two were excellent. The standpipe stout was great. I chatted with the owner Adam for a couple of hours. He said they soaked the cocoa nibs in bourbon, and then threw the bourbon in with the nibs. My favorite beer was BRUSH FIRE ~A BARREL AGED Bourbon Cabernet Amber Ale. A dark amber ale agend in Meranda-Nixon Winery barrels and Old Pogue Distillery/Indian Spring Winery barrels. Reminded me of the cabernet aged Anastasia from Weasel Boy. Old Firehouse Brewing is definitely worth the drive out into the countryside.

http://www.oldfirehousebrewery.com/the-brews--taproom.html

12. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Maven (1,390) Jun 18, 2003 Ohio
    Trader

When I first got into craft brew it would drive me crazy when one of my "go to" beers changed ingredients and hence flavors. Some brewers would have an open discussion as to the change and the rationale behind their decision, but others would not. The fact remains that most "small" scale breweries often do change their recipes based on their taste, ability to purchase ingredients (usually specific hops) and capacity. The larger breweries often make changes based on profit and don't discuss their "business" and really don't care as long as they make cash. I will continue to drink what I like and move on when the "new" brew does not suit my fancy.

13. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

My best guess is that IBUsive was changed due to hop availability and/or the brewers just wanting to try something new. For those that don't know, IBUsive was brewed way back when Matt was brewing at Rocky River and won acclaim at the Haywood IPA fest even back then. In my opinion, this iteration is as good as the last couple, maybe better since Mosaic isn't my favorite hop.

Dan_Bowman likes this.
  14. cbjfan

cbjfan Aspirant (223) Apr 24, 2014 Ohio

Any Columbus folk have luck with finding Coffee Vanilla Axis Mundi? It appears Weiland's ran out and I saw Gentile's did have some hoping they still do. Tried Wine & Brew Emporium but they didn't have it in.

15. dson08

dson08 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Arizona

Try savor.

16. Josbor11

Josbor11 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio

Revisited IBUsive tonight and it really blew me away. I could smell the beer as soon as she put it down in front of me. Way better than I remember it being. Also, cinnamon toast crunch is awesome.

jampics2 and SixThousandDollars like this.
  17. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Grand Pooh-Bah (4,820) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cool. I would like to try a few Tequila beers. This one sounds like some good pairings.

Just scored a bottle of Mundi that I am looking forward to this weekend.

KSOZE likes this.
  18. LoquaciousC

LoquaciousC Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Ohio

Recipes often get changed based on hops availability like you mentioned. Hops also change drastically from year to year. It's pretty difficult keeping beers the same year after year. Even Head Hunter has changed quite a bit over time.

19. MastaaaGrillaaa

MastaaaGrillaaa Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

If you like / want to try Tequila beers, the one from Prairie is delightful. Ok-si if I remember right.

20. OU_Bobcats

OU_Bobcats Pundit (848) Apr 28, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Sorry if already mentioned, but looks like Prairie Pirate Noir and Funky Gold Mosaic are in OH now. I don't think I've seen those around before, but I could be wrong.

Anyone try either of them before? I like most Prairie BA stouts so I'll have to give the Pirate Noir a shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.