New Glarus upcoming beers and other info

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by CurtisLoew, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CurtisLoew

CurtisLoew Zealot (591) Jun 18, 2010 Wisconsin

Hey guys. I just went on the hard hat tour and I found out a lot of great info I thought I'd share. I want to start out by saying the tour was fantastic and the brewery is absolutely gorgeous. I highly recommend going if you ever get the chance.

- we got to go into the new sour beer cave. I'll post some pictures when I get home tomorrow night if people are interested. It is so cool.

- They had beer in the cool ship while we were inside. There are wooden beams above the cool ship and the guide said that Dan sprayed those beams with all sorts of wild yeast and bacteria so that when the hot wort enters the cool ship the steam makes those beams drip down into the beer. Very cool.

- the air was incredibly pungent and sour. It almost hurt my eyes standing in there. I couldn't believe how strong it smelled (it was glorious)

- construction was not complete. The guide said they are adding a grass ceiling... Can't wait to see that.

- it was lined with barrels. The only label I was able to make out from where we stood was "stra blonde". Anyone want to take a guess what that is?

We got to talk to Dan for about 20 min. Super nice guy and I really appreciated him taking the time to speak with us. I think he has a great sense of humor and he was fun to listen to. Here are some things I picked up.

- IIPA coming out in June. They were actually brewing it while I was there. Smelled great. He said they tweaked it a bit this year and are using whole cone hops.

- yokel coming soon. They are brewing it this week.

- he specifically said that BB kriek is going to be a thumbprint later this year. This contradicted the guide who had early said BB kriek was going to be an R&D beer.

- he said that another thumbprint for later in the year is the cranbic base beer that they are souring into a lambic style.

- someone asked if his goal is to have sours year round soon. He said that it is entirely up to the consumers. He doesn't want to make beer that will sit on shelves for years. But he now has the ability to make a lot of beer so if we buy it then he will make it.

- his personal favorite R&D beer so far has been the Golden ale

- has gave his sours to people who judge the world beer cup (forget who he said it was). They told him that his sours were as good as anything winning medals. He was happy about that.

- I almost forgot to add this! Someone asked about the olde english porter. He said he absolutely loved the beer but he hated the amount of criticism he received. He got a ton of calls about that beer being spoiled when it really wasn't. He said he may make it again but he will certainly change the name so people don't expect a porter.

Some additional things the guide said I found interesting:

- they are making the hometown blonde again this summer (Yay!)

- he said the next thumbprint is berliner weisse and I actually saw bottles with the label

- he said an R&D is going to be the BB kriek, which contradicted Dan who said thumbprint

- they have capacity to brew 300k barrels per year. The main thing holding them back right now is the amount of yeast they can propagate. Their yeast tanks are maxed out

- they want to can their beers. This is a long term goal (4+ years)

- he stressed over and over that they have a lot of really cool sours being worked on. Should start seeing them very soon.

#1 CurtisLoew, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Pooh-Bah (1,925) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

Everything about this post is awesome.

#2 Hendrick24, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  3. Benish

Benish Pooh-Bah (2,422) Mar 13, 2013 Utah
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

And I'm moving to Utah this Monday :slight_frown:

4. Ferocious

Ferocious Pundit (840) Nov 17, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Hey Curtis, I was in this tour with you. I get the feeling Bourbon Barrel Kriek is going to be huge.

This tour is well worth the trip and the months long wait to get on it

5. sherm1016

sherm1016 Pundit (843) Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin

Hope so. I'm signed up for the Friday before the second Saturday in August. Wait a minute...

Rand_ale_Thor and jRocco2021 like this.
  6. dkrep

dkrep Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2013 Wisconsin

Thanks for the info! Confirms a lot of suspicions and more fodder for the rumor mill! :slight_smile:

I love the bit about sours on the shelves for years. If only that was the case!

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  7. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

More hometown blonde and yokel is all I needed to see.

8. Beerisheaven

Beerisheaven Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2007 Pennsylvania

Great post, thanks for the info.

9. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Grand Pooh-Bah (3,036) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

All that good news, my head exploded.

Bottom Line: If we buy more sour ales, NG will make less Spice Ale and Winter Warmers.

10. smurfbeer

smurfbeer Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2008 Wisconsin

Awesome post - thank you! Strawberry Rhubarb Blonde pretty please!

11. Bay01

Bay01 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

Yes, everything else is icing on the cake. Also, the OP is maybe my favorite post on BA ever.

mychalg9 and jRocco2021 like this.
  12. mmulebarn

mmulebarn Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 Minnesota

I will be happy to cross the border into Hudson, if it helps the "more sours on shelves movement".

13. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (1,071) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

Wow you would really do that for us thank you so much for being so selfless.

14. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin

Great info, my only sadness is it now seems as though we won't be seeing Dancing Man Wheat this year! :slight_frown:

mychalg9 likes this.
  15. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

I just cracked a WSA to celebrate all this awesomeness. Thanks for sharing.

Two thumbprints that are sour this year.

16. Ri0

@burica2020 :slight_smile:

nickMB and jRocco2021 like this.
  17. jRocco2021

I want to do this exact thing so bad! Damn you FIB's its all your fault.

18. Ri0

Well, you will have some other sours to purchase this year, and the next, and the next... :grinning:

jRocco2021 likes this.
  19. jRocco2021

Revenge is an ale best served at cellar temp.

20. nickMB

nickMB Savant (1,118) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

amazing news, this truly is an easter miracle. old english has risen, kumbaya.

Ri0 and jRocco2021 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.