New Beer Gadget

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by JimGlonke, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimGlonke

JimGlonke Pundit (887) Apr 27, 2012 Illinois

2. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,730) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Would like to hear how works and if your pleased with it... I would think that if you pour out half the beer in a large format bottle that all that air left in the bottle would make the beer taste different within as short as the next day.

3. JimGlonke

Good point. My plan is to try it soon using the bottom few ounces from a random 12oz. bottle, so I'm not wasting much volume/quality content.

4. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,730) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cool. Let me know what your findings are.

5. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Pundit (897) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

i just use a vacu-vin. best part is that it works on both capped and corked bottles (and for wine too).

6. jegross2

jegross2 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois

Link? Different than this?

7. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

I would go with this, but they are basically the same thing.

8. tinypyramids

that is the exact item that i purchased and use today. i've used it on both wine and beer and it works great for both.

i wouldn't use it on, say, a low gravity beer, but that's not really its purpose. use it to reseal that bomber of 12% ba stout that you can't drink in one session without getting plastered.

9. robwestcott

robwestcott Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2008 Indiana

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  10. justyouraveragebeerguy

justyouraveragebeerguy Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

I use the wine stoppers with the pump that sucks all the air out

11. pest

pest Savant (1,027) Sep 2, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

I need to order a new one. The bruery one I own is junk, it won't stay on most bottles without rubber banding it tight.

12. jampics2

jampics2 Pooh-Bah (2,340) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've always heard that those will suck the carbonation out as well...

13. tinypyramids

maybe. but the kind of bombers i tend to need to split over a couple days are the ones that don't really need all that extra carbonation (stouts, barleywines, etc.) so i never notice. and the one time i did it to a bottle of gulden draak i didn't notice any drop in carbonation.

seriously, give it a try on some bomber that you can afford to lose part of (so nothing super special). worst case you're out 10 bucks and a half bomber of something you can replace anyway.

jampics2 likes this.
  14. Cpeck44

Cpeck44 Initiate (0) May 16, 2010 Illinois

A 2012 dark lord would be a good test subject ... although, i'd hate to do that to the beer gadget.

davey101 likes this.
  15. pointyskull

pointyskull Zealot (651) Mar 17, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Any findings, OP?

Signed up for the Kaufman newsletter and they sent a $7 gift code to enter during checkout. Might just make it worth it...

16. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I've heard the same thing in these threads numerous times about this vacuum device sucking the carbonation from the left-over beer, so I don't use mine anymore. However, you make a good point for when the beer has very little carbonation anyway, but whatever amount is left probably adds to the beer a lot more than if it were totally flat.

17. tinypyramids

really though, it's so cheap that it's hard to give any recommendation but 'experiment with it'. just don't experiment on your unreplaceable, expensive bottles.

JimGlonke likes this.
  18. JimGlonke

Tried it with the bottom 10% of a 12 oz. Sucks earlier this week. After 1 day, it seemed to still taste the same. Going to try it again with another Sucks, but leave like 25% this time. I'll update again with the results of Round 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.