New beer fridge "cellar" has a strong plastic smell - should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by gcg49, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcg49

gcg49 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2014 Texas

Can the smell permeate the caps? Wondering if I should move the beer out, clean it, air it out, etc.

I found a similar question through Googling for wine fridges that essentially said the smell should not get through the glass/cork but the labels will pick up the smell and it can be distracting. Not sure if beer caps are better or worse.

2. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

maybe you should clean out the fridge anyway just to get rid of the smell, so you don't have to deal with it every time you open it.

Air it out for a week. The beer will be fine in any cool place right now, since it's not summer

3. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

The short answer is no. Every fridge that you buy new has this smell. If it were a problem, companies would have figured it out by now so that food you put in a fridge wouldn't taste like plastic. Plus, crowns are designed to keep oxygen out.

4. youradhere

youradhere Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2008 Washington

Can you smell your beer through the bottle? I would say your whole setup is compromised. I'll need a few bottles of your oldest vintages for testing.

5. DaverCS

DaverCS Savant (1,076) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

When I first started aging/cellaring, I started with a new mini fridge that had the same plastic-like smell. I haven't had any problems. You could always wax the beer tops if you are that concerned about it to ensure nothing gets in, but mine have all been fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.