Narragansett Beer Releases Limited-Edition 1975 "Crush It Like Quint!" Retro Can

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

NARRAGANSETT BEER RELEASES LIMITED-EDITION 1975 RETRO CAN

‘Gansett Fans “Crush It Like Quint!” with Classic Can Design Featured in the Film ‘Jaws’

July 18, 2012; Providence, RI – Narragansett Beer today announces the debut of a specialty retro Lager can that harkens back to the 1970s, ‘Gansett’s glory days when the brewer was producing 1.7 million barrels of beer per year. For a limited time, all 18-packs of 12oz. cans of Lager will feature the same design and logo that fans enjoyed in 1975.

This retro imagery is nostalgic to the millions of beer-drinking baby boomers who came of age at the time, and it also became permanently ingrained in American culture with the 1975 release of Jaws. In the film, Captain Sam Quint, played by Oscar-nominated actor Robert Shaw, famously crushes a can of Narragansett Lager to intimidate Richard Dreyfuss’ character, Hooper. This iconic scene solidified the brand’s reputation as the beer of choice for everyday New Englanders and continues to captivate viewers today.

[​IMG]

While this classic can design may recall memories of the good ol’ days, the quality of its contents also speaks to the brand’s rich heritage. Narragansett Lager is the brewer’s flagship beer, its original recipe tracked down by former Brewmaster Bill Anderson when the company was revived in 2005 by CEO Mark Hellendrung. Since then, it has been recognized by BeerAdvocate.com as #1 rated domestic premium lager and awarded the gold medal for best lager by the Great International Beer Festival in 2010.

[​IMG]

The limited-edition retro can is available for purchase throughout New England where 18-packs are sold (SRP: $13.99-$14.99). Follow @GansettBeer and #crushitlikequint on Twitter for the latest news and photos.

ABOUT NARRAGANSETT BEER:
    Narragansett Beer…Brewed since 1890. ‘Gansett is a straightforward, quality beer that has been a New England tradition for generations, producing a classic family of award-winning American lagers & ales. Today, ‘Gansett is produced at top-rated breweries in Providence, RI, Pawcatuck, CT, Rochester, NY, and Latrobe, PA. Narragansett is available for purchase in local restaurants, bars, and liquor stores throughout New England, Eastern Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Florida.

Thirsty for more? Visit http://www.gansett.com

###

2. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

This reminds me I need to seek out some Narragansett beers someday. Rhode Island ticks.

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

"Glory Days"? I thought the Narragansett history that the current owners of the label spin is that the glory days were before the purchase of the brewery by Falstaff in mid-60's and then the take-over of Falstaff by Kalmanovitz' S&P in the mid-'70's. And that is certainly borne out looking at the stats. 'Gansett's market share in Rhode Island went from an amazing 67% in the early '60's to 25% in 1975. Similar losses were experienced in New Hampshire (18% down to 7%) Mass. (27% down to 9%) and Maine (26% down to 11%) - and those latter figures include the Ballantine and Falstaff brands that were by then being brewed in RI.

Haven't seen the film since it's release (that summer, in Kennebunkport IIRC) but I always thought the use of the Quint character drinking the local "cheap beer" Narragansett was another way to emphasis his "blue collar" status. I don't know, did the Dreyfuss, Schneider or other characters drink it, too, or did they drink Bud, Heineken or wine :wink:

quirkzoo and VictorWisc like this.
  4. Stormfield

Stormfield Pundit (921) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I don't remember if the others were drinking it too. They do drink some bottled booze (whiskey?) in another scene.

Someone should photoshop one of 'Gansett's baby-blue Summer Ale cans over the old can in a picture of Quint. That would be cool (but probably only to me...).

5. BostonPhilly

BostonPhilly Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Massachusetts

We are going to need a bigger thread...That's interesting though and definitely a good time to release it. I hope it increases their sales. As for the beer, meh, save that for the college kids.

6. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Didn't Belushi do a can crush on the forehead in "Animal House"? Only problem is, I have no idea what beer it might have been.

7. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,509) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

IIRC, the chief drank wine and whiskey. Dreyfuss crushed a styrofoam coffee cup when Quint balled up the can. They were all sitting in the galley of the boat drinking whiskey (maybe 'shine) at one point. I agree that it was a way to differentiate Quint's character as a local vs the rich-boy Dreyfuss and the "foreigner" Chief. My wife grew on on MV where Jaws was largely filmed - not far from the truth (locals vs. outsiders) at least in the 60's and 70's, she says.

I remember this can well - there are probably still some rusting away in the basement somewhere or out in the fields. It was one that Grandpa drank along with Ballantine.

8. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Maven (1,355) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Great! Now we have a 'Gansett thread to go with Yuengling! All we need now is some Shiner...

I have nothing against Narragansett, actually. I just won't buy it, no matter what the can looked like. People drink what they will, it's not of my concern.

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

“All we need now is some Shiner...”

I need some Shiner Bohemian Black Lager. That beer is a very tasty Schwarzbier! I just wish that Spoetzl Brewing would make that beer available in my area in six-packs; I only see that beer in variety packs.

Cheers!

Streaky likes this.
  10. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

I like Natty Daddy. *sets up sandbags to hide behind in order to protect myself from empty bottles of Dark Lord*

11. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I'd definitely pick some up, except the stores around me only carry pounders

12. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

If that's the case, why didn't they go with a retro can from that period?

13. HelpMeBloody

HelpMeBloody Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 Rhode Island

[​IMG]

VictorWisc and Stormfield like this.
  14. Stormfield

Stormfield Pundit (921) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Ha! Perfect!

HelpMeBloody likes this.
  15. Dicers

Dicers Grand Pooh-Bah (3,412) Sep 2, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I mean if you really "need" it I'm sure I could work something out :rolling_eyes:

16. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

"You're gonna need a bigger can." :wink:

bozodogbreath, Roguer and Stormfield like this.
  17. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,757) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm going to stop you right there and give you a chance to remedy this terrible tragedy. You can't convince me that there have been that many good movies released in the last 10 years to stop you from revisiting Jaws. :slight_smile:

Dools9 likes this.
  18. Dools9

Dools9 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

They did a '53 can earlier in the summer.
    [​IMG]
    At least this year the 1975 cans aren't being made at Latrobe, PA like they were last summer. That stuff was horrendous. The Lager made at Genesee is miles better.

19. fx20736

fx20736 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2009 New York

I bought an 18 pack of the 1953 cans from the Wegman's in Northborough, MA on our way out to the Cape in July. I thought the cans were pretty classy. Unfortunately, in Rochester NY I only get the pounders which are also good looking cans:

[​IMG]

Dools9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.