My 48 Hours in London

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by T100Mark, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T100Mark

T100Mark Zealot (702) Apr 25, 2012 California

We went in mid-October. Good weather (mid 60s no rain). Our first stop was The Ship Tavern. My wife mentioned, to the bar tender, how excited I was to be there. He immediately had the two of us behind the bar, hands on the taps, for a photo op. I had a pint of Theakston's Old Peculiar (cask). So tasty! We took our ales up to the dining room. As it was Sunday, I ordered roast lamb (delicious!). What a great experience!

I had a Greene King IPA (cask) at The Plough, next to the British Museum. I was a little underwhelmed by both the beer (a little too mild for my taste) and the pub (indifferent wait staff). Still, I was glad to be there.

The surprise ale of the trip was Southwark Brewing's Bermondsey Best Bitter (cask) at the Royal George! This beer was the perfect combination of malty sweetness, hoppy bitterness, and smooth cask mouth feel.

#1 T100Mark, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 England

I get what you mean about the Plough. Those kind of pubs are more about serving loads of tourists quickly than giving good service. Glaf you liked the Old Peculiar, a decent Burton ale, I'd love to try it on cask.

3. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Pooh-Bah (2,029) Jan 29, 2012 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

At risk of being admonished by Marquis, I'm sure most in the beer community here would agree that Greene King IPA is a pretty indifferent beer. I haven't touched that stuff since the nineties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.