Moving to Oregon

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Jleo897, Jul 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jleo897

Jleo897 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2012 Connecticut

I rarely ever post or submit any ratings on beer advocate which will change. I spend countless hours reading forums and learning about new beers. I've been blessed to have grown up in Connecticut in which I been able to get my hands on some of the best beers this area has with relative ease. However, I am moving to Portland Oregon next week and have very little knowledge of the beer scene out there. I know Rougue and a couple of the other big guys. I've heard wonderful things about Oregons craft market. Just looking for some recommendations to keep my eyes open for when I get out there! Can't wait.

2. trxxpaxxs

trxxpaxxs Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2010 New York

DeGarde, Ale Apothecary, Logsdons, Boneyard, Deschutes, and Crux, just to name a few...

You're moving to an excellent place for craft beer lovers. Enjoy.

3. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,776) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut

^^^ send some stuff on this list to me when you get to Oregon.

4. insearchofhops

insearchofhops Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2014 Massachusetts

I just got back from Portland and was really impressed with Boneyard

5. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

jbakajust1 likes this.
  6. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

Portland is by far the best beer city in the US (IMO of course)...Breakside has won multiple awards for their IPAs, Cascade Barrel House is one of the top sour producers in the country, some of the best beer festivals in the country are held the annually as well, deGarde makes incredible sours as well, and Rogue is no where near a local favorite and a waste of time to visit with so many other incredible breweries around. I visit for a month every summer and always hate heading home to the terrible distribution and boring beers in the South...but, on the plus side, I get great inspiration for home brewing until the next year:slight_smile:

#6 DrMindbender, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  7. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

PDX isn't even the best beer city in OR:wink:. That title goes to Bend.

chinochino and DrMindbender like this.
  8. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

Was not as impressed with Bend as Portland, personally.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  9. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Deschutes, Crux, Boneyard, Silver Moon, Bend Brewing Company, Ale Apothecary, Worthy, Deschutes Bond Street unimpressive? Man, you've got higher standards than I do!:wink:

sharpski and DrMindbender like this.
  10. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Best thing about this post? None of those are PDX breweries.:grimacing::grinning:

11. gatheredwaters

gatheredwaters Pooh-Bah (1,773) May 1, 2014 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Just move next door to Barley Brown's and you'll be set.

TankSlapper likes this.
  12. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Grand Pooh-Bah (4,779) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah

LUCKY!!! You're in for a treat anywhere in Oregon. Some of my personal faves (in Portland): The Commons, Base Camp, HUB, Hair of the Dog, Gigantic, and Cascade. Check them out. I'm sure you'll be happy! Cheers

13. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

Speaking of Rogue, once you get here you will never have to think about or utter their name ever again.

14. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

Some of the less "sexy" Oregon breweries that I usually have in my fridge: Laurelwood, Good Life, Oakshire, Ft. George, Caldera, Occidental, Heater Allen.

chinochino and BBThunderbolt like this.
  15. sharpski

sharpski Pooh-Bah (2,806) Oct 11, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Welcome to Oregon! You're in for a completely different beer selection and culture than CT. So much great beer that doesn't leave the state or West Coast. Once you tackle Portland's riches, there's the coast, Hood River, Bend, the rest of Oregon's I-5 corridor, and stuff from WA, CA, etc. that doesn't make it back East.

The only condition is that we expect you to keep cool about it and not start hyping your favorite beers to the rest of the country. We like our relaxed atmospheres and the relative lack of shit-shows at special events/releases.

#15 sharpski, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  16. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Man, you're in for a treat. My only advice: just explore. Start with the Visiting Portland thread, but certainly don't limit yourself to that. Go everywhere. Find your favorites. I don't live in Portland, but I'm there often and got to know and love it by visiting brewpubs and beer bars. I moved here 5 years ago, and I'm still exploring. It's honestly tough to keep up. Enjoy!

17. mudbug

mudbug Pooh-Bah (1,738) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

First things first, It's Rogue, now that you have that, fergit about it. I'm sorry to say you are moving to a beer wasteland the stuff out here is so bad we pour it into dry lake beds and host speedboat events on it. You will also be disappointed to find that in nearly every bar, tavern and restaurant there is some horrible craft beer taking up the taps where another Light beer should be. I'm sure you will be begging to go back soon. Also folks out here have a bizarre sense of humor. The TV show Portlandia should be required watching for anyone wanting to move here. Welcome!

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
  18. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They're in Bend. Outstanding hoppy beers.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  19. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

OP: Portland is beautiful in many ways, and has a deep-rooted beer culture that will give you plenty to explore for years to come. You will probably soon come to realize the the most impressive thing is not the very best places, but the sheer pervasiveness of good beer EVERYWHERE.

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
  20. RKP1967

RKP1967 Savant (1,126) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I'm not from Portland, but Rogue is about the last brewery I'd turn to if i were in Portland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.