Moving to Dallas FT Worth

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Kcastr01, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kcastr01

Kcastr01 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2014 Tennessee

From Nashville. How's the beer selection?

2. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Pundit (890) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

TejasMtnBiker and nsheehan like this.
  3. KendallKid

KendallKid Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2014 New York

Flying Saucer #1 is in downtown FTWorth !!

TejasMtnBiker likes this.
  4. shnsajax

shnsajax Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho

Its not bad at all and seems to still be improving. What part of DFW considering the size?

5. Techichi

Techichi Pooh-Bah (1,635) Sep 25, 2012 Texas
    Pooh-Bah

Yep...it's good and getting better very quickly.

sethsticles likes this.
  6. sethsticles

sethsticles Crusader (413) May 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Just came from Houston. While I miss Karbach I think I appreciate the DFW scene more. I think there is a better overall selection of beers. Many of which are canning, which is fun. More growler fill stations and more bottle shops. I do miss Spec's HQ though. For the population of Houston, there is a real lack of breweries. I wouldn't be surprised if some Houstonians flame me for this.

7. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2011 Texas

I just moved to Mansfield myself from Houston...right between the cities pretty much so I guess we get the best of both here...what part of town are you in???

8. BrewDogRocks

BrewDogRocks Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2011 Texas

Hello and welcome to the area. As others mentioned, the DFW area is spread out very wide, roughly 50 or 60 square miles, so things could vary widely depending on the part of town you're in. That being said here's the breakdown for Dallas.

Peticolas, Lakewood, Community, Deep Ellum, and Four Corners are breweries worth your time as far as tours. The Common Table, Meddlesome Moth, Goodfriend, LUCK, Bottle Shop and Strangeways are craft beer places worth your time. Some of them will have phenomenal food as well. Craft & Growler, Lakewood Growler, LUCK and specific Whole Foods locations are growler fill up places worth your time. Specs, Whole Foods, Total Wine and Lonestar Beverages are places to buy beer worth your time.

That's more or less confined to the Dallas area. But if you really want the breakdown of breweries, bars and shops for the entire area go to the Dallas Brew Scene website. Those folks keep very good, detailed updated info on everything that goes on in town. The Map section of the website lays it all out. Good luck.

http://www.dallasbrewscene.com/#!map/cjg9

Grapenut likes this.
  9. LadyOfMuchBeer

I really enjoy Martin House in Fort Worth myself....not sure why locals seem to overlook it. I'm new, do is there something I don't know?? Lol

TejasMtnBiker and Krumb like this.
  10. sethsticles

sethsticles Crusader (413) May 6, 2014 California
    Trader

I think they have excellent beers. I just had their Salty Lady last night and behind Westbrook, is my favorite gose even though I have't had many. And now that Pretzel Stout is canned...it's on!

11. B_Wood

B_Wood Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2014 Texas

As far as Ft Worth goes, there are a few cool bars worth checking out on magnolia st. The bearded lady and Zio Carlo (brew pub) worth checking out. The OG flying saucer (although not in OG location anymore) is worth checking out as well. Martin House is definitely the main brewery worth checking out currently (Tours Thurs 6-8 and Sat 2-5). The atmosphere is more laid back than the Dallas breweries, personally, I would check out Rahr once, just to cross it off the list, but then avoid it after that. Exciting part about Ft Worth is that there are a bunch of breweries on the horizon, or recently making public debuts, with Panther Island Brewing, Collective Brewing Project, and Dank Dog either now being on tap or coming soon. Personally, I like the Specs' on Bryant Irving and Hulen locations as well as the sweet Central Market on Hulen for bottles/growlers (CM).

As far as some of the "more suburban" breweries not in Dallas or FtW but in the area, I help out with Grapevine Craft Brewery and the tours are the 1st Sat of every month 12-3. Everyone seems to have a good time and it is really personable as the owner and brewers sit there and chat it up with everyone. I haven't been to Cobra yet so I cannot attest to that brewery, though I haven't heard anything too bad. Armadillo out of Denton makes some pretty good beers, especially the Brunch Money if you can get your hands on it.

Hope this helps despite its brevity.

andys_war_hall likes this.
  12. quietdomino

quietdomino Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 Texas

Martin House is great. Love that its other two originals are now getting canned. Also, Revolver has a great spot out near Granbury. Very relaxed, kid-friendly, and great beers.

andys_war_hall likes this.
  13. puddledynamics

puddledynamics Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Texas

Welcome to DFW! The beer scene here is starting to grow fast, yer coming in at a good time.

TejasMtnBiker likes this.
  14. army01

army01 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2011 Texas

Second Revolver!

15. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

Come by the FW Saucer and intro yourself to me, I'll pop some fun beers with you. I run the beer program, ask for Noah. Visit Puddledynamics at Hall's in Colleyville...best package store in Tarrant county by a long shot

tx_beer_man, air and puddledynamics like this.
  16. LadyOfMuchBeer

I just had the Revolver, Blood and Honey....pretty tasty and a good drinkable beer in the hot sun.

17. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Pundit (890) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Agreed :slight_smile: - Houstonian

18. andys_war_hall

andys_war_hall Devotee (335) Dec 7, 2012 Texas

Love me some Fort Worth beer scene. Panther Island's Allergeez is really tasty. Similar to Blood and Honey with a little twist. Revolver, although not in Fort Worth has some really great beers. The aforementioned Blood and Honey, Bock, and High Brass are all solid. But for me Fracker is where they really stand out. I may take some flack for this, but I think it is the best stout in DFW. (Flame away Temptress lovers) The brewery that I am most excited for is Collective. Their rye porter was awesome, and although I only had a taste, their Pale Galaxy was very promising. And last but not least, I really enjoy Martin House. The tours are lots of fun, and you can bring your dogs. So glad they are here in Fort Worth and excited to see what their future holds. Also, Salty Lady is fantastic. Really great stuff, and that's just the FW side. Dallas has a whole bunch of other great stuff.

quietdomino likes this.
  19. quietdomino

quietdomino Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2013 Texas

Revolver is rolling out bottles of High Brass on August 7. Personally, I think their Sidewinder Pale Ale is their best beer, but they're all good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.