Moving to Asheville

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by EricLiPuma, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricLiPuma

EricLiPuma Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2014 New Jersey

Not sure if this kind of post is allowed so I apologize if it isnt. I am Moving to Asheville, NC in early December to start a new job. I haven't been down there for a visit yet but I am wondering what are some good areas for dude in his early-mid 20's to live? Ideally id like to live near some breweries in the city area (Im sure everyone would want to). Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

2. andyctree

andyctree Zealot (651) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina

If you have a good job you will have options. If you don't then There is not a lot of affordable housing here especially in the downtown area.

If you want walkable, look at apartments in Montford or apartments on the South slope. I lived in Montford when I was in my 20s and it was optimal. I'm not too sure of apartment pricing these days, but it was affordable back then.

Asheville is not hard to get around. I live within 5 minutes of being downtown, but not walkable.

3. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Affordable housing is an issue in this area, factor in low unemployment and scarcity of land. Not been in that market, being married and a homeowner for 30+ years, I can't offer more advice sorry.

4. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Asheville is a city of around 80k, bisected by I-240, an I-40 connector piece. There are many Asheville residents here that can help you, but downtown is most likely very expensive. Maybe up north around UNC-Asheville and Weaverville would be OK. Good luck to you!

5. EricLiPuma

Thanks everyone. Apartment rates are pretty pricy down there... I am looking mostly in the Montford section currently and there seem to be some possible options. Are there any local home brew clubs down there?

6. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

There are a couple of home brew stores in Asheville, sell supplies and such, I would check in with those stores if no one else replies here.

7. andyctree

andyctree Zealot (651) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina

http://maltsters.org

8. EricLiPuma

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.