mold in bottle of le terroir...

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by JackAaron, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackAaron

JackAaron Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2014 California

so I love new belgium le terroir and put a couple bottles in the fridge and enjoyed and left one out for 2-3 mos. the one left at room temp appears to have little clusters of mold in it. i havent opened it and a smarter man than i obviously am told me i shouldnt sit on it as it is a dry-hopped sour. other than that i may be a d-bag for possibly ruining a delicious brew, does anyone have any thoughts - is this likely/normal, would time and or temperature cause this, has anyone had this experience?

thanks

2. youradhere

youradhere Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2008 Washington

It's probably either suspended proteins or top-fermenting yeasts. If you drink them you will get horrible farts. Enjoy!

JackAaron likes this.
  3. tsauce2

tsauce2 Savant (1,102) Oct 12, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

I've cellared Le Terrior for years and it is really interesting as it ages. In the second year it became less sour and the dry hopping really came to the forefront and had a super dry finish. Third year it went back to being sour and had some vinous notes. I think this is a cellar worthy beer and agree with youradhere on his diagnosis of the floaties. Not entirely sure you will get nasty farts tho...Cheers!

JackAaron likes this.
  4. pmoney

pmoney Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2011 Illinois

Doesn't NB pasteurize their sour beers?

MtnSoup likes this.
  5. youradhere

They did for a time, I know that's when they moved la folie from the 750 c&c to the 22oz format. I would think they listened to the whining of BAs and stopped that, as honestly it's just an unnecessary and extra cost.

6. pmoney

pmoney Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2011 Illinois

I don't think they've stopped. As far as I know they still do pasteurize, and they do it so that they can run those beers through the same bottling line as everything else without risk of contamination.

atpca likes this.
  7. atpca

atpca Pooh-Bah (1,640) Jun 10, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

We have a NB rep in one of our bottle share groups and that's their internal communication.

tsauce2 likes this.
  8. youradhere

I don't know if I would trust pasturization alone lol. I've had a few wild batches and the risk ain't worth it, but more power to ya NB!

9. JackAaron

JackAaron Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2014 California

thanks for the input yall. guess there's nothing left to do but crack it open and try it!

10. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,796) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It is proteins... Ugly to look at, but won't affect taste or aroma.

If you let any beer sit long enough, fridge or cellar, proteins will settle out and/or sometimes even coagulate in the neck of the bottle.

Happens all the time in cellar bottles, but most of the time nobody is examining them that much when pouring. Most traditional cellar beers are darker, so you don't notice gunk collecting in the bottom or the neck as easily.

tsauce2 likes this.
  11. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

If it's mold, you're going to die. :slight_smile: But there's likely no chance on Earth it's actually mold.

12. MtnSoup

MtnSoup Initiate (0) May 20, 2013 Colorado

Pasteurized. All of it. Well, flash pasteurized technically, but same difference. Drink it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.