MI Summer Beer fest - details, Detroiters

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by FEUO, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGoof

TheGoof Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

I'll be having the Elvis this Friday. Really looking forward to it!

steebo777 and BeyondDescription like this.
  2. alelover

alelover Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2012 Michigan

soooo is this what a panic attack feels like?? :confused:

3. alelover

alelover Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2012 Michigan

IF any of us venture over to shortsville....? clearly you don't know us all very well!!! :wink:

bunch of shorts brews i haven't had yet that im really looking forward to trying.

steebo777 and BeyondDescription like this.
  4. alfie

alfie Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2013 Michigan

My palate is already hurting.

5. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Glad I decided to do the Warrior Dash the day after this. Cuz I won't be hungover or anything :rolling_eyes:

Same here. See ya there!

6. Itoclown

Itoclown Zealot (580) Jun 19, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

I believe I've gotten one ticket... Still lookin for an extra for Saturday. Anyone looking to part with one let me know. (Shameless thread bump)

7. GrueLurks

GrueLurks Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2008 Michigan

Contemplating bringing a pork butt again on Saturday. Who's up for bringing buns and sauce?

8. Spartan213

Spartan213 Initiate (0) May 28, 2008 Michigan

If you bring it I can certainly supply some buns. Just let me know how many you want and I'll find you there.

9. PattyMelt

PattyMelt Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2013 Michigan

Yikes!

The Short's Bourbon Sagejuana is what initially stood out for me from their list. Mostly because I love anything with the word 'experimental' in the description, which is half the shorts beers usually, and it just is fun to say. Likely to be my first beer at the festival!!!!!

10. Brianw508

Brianw508 Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

i always hit up Short's first. i want first dibs on anything they have that's experimental. last year they had the long lines all day. The extra hour gives me time to grab some cool beers and thank brewery reps for everything they do for me all year and network with ones i haven't worked with yet. i prefer the summer even though it's way further then the fall. just love the atmosphere

11. FrankHammer

FrankHammer Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2013 Michigan

Anyone NOT in early on Saturday into a bottle share in line?

12. GrueLurks

GrueLurks Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2008 Michigan

Two packs should be enough.

13. trginter

trginter Pundit (755) Dec 1, 2008 Michigan

I haven't seen much of this at the few winters and summer I've been to. Is it allowed or tolerated?

14. 3morley

3morley Initiate (0) May 26, 2010 Illinois

Just got tickets to Fri evening for me and my girlfriend. First time to any kind of MI beer fest, though I've been to most of the breweries across southern MI. If anyone can help with any of the following, greatly appreciated -

1) Do they allow you to bring food in? If not, are food booths on site?
    2) What are the lines like? Any tips for not wasting time?
    3) Looking at the lists, Darkhorse, Short's and Greenbush look like they've brought a ton of awesome styles and varieties - can you hang out at the booth and try different kinds, or do you have to grab one or four and get outta of there? Any advice on how to maximize your time and drinking?
    4) Is it worth it to try and get after the timed releases or are they too crowded (eg Founders' KBS or Bells' Black Note/Batch 9000)?
    5) I figure I'll avoid most of the breweries I can get to pretty easily (in the SE MI area). Beyond the 3 heavy hitters above, I've always wanted to see what Right Brain, The Livery, and Odd Sides have to offer. Any other recommendations, on some hard-to-reach hidden gems (particularly in the north)?
    6) In your opinion, is it better to try and get after individual beers, or focus on what a particular brewery has to offer in general?

Aaahhh, I'm excited. Hope I don't fall in the river. Cheers!

15. PattyMelt

1) Yes, you can bring in any food, as well as beverages. Only rule is no glass bottles. Many people make necklaces so you can easily snack while you're in line. Pretty much anything with a hole in the middle (cheerios, pretzels, donuts, etc) goes on a string, and then tie it around your neck. They do have a food tent, though, with delicious BBQ, among other stuff.
    2) Lines just depend on time & tent. Smaller breweries you can get through in a minute, larger ones may be closer to 5-10 depending on how large. The timed releases for the bigger/rarer brews can get pretty intense. So if you are looking to get one of those, I suggest lining up at least 30 min before the release, sometimes more depending on how many people are going to be wanting it.

The line to in to the festival, though, gets long. I usually try & get there about an hour early, and we still end up waiting in line about 30 min after they open. That is on Sat, though, I've never gone on Friday, so it may be easier.
    3) It is usually grab a cup, and then swing back to the end of the line if you want more. Just out of courtesy to everyone in line more then anything. You can't get four at a time, sadly, as you only get one cup. Also, depending on the tent set-ups, those breweries you listed can get to the point of wall-to-wall people so hanging out isn't always pleasant. lol. But if you manage to find a slower time for those ones, hang out and talk shop w/ the reps!
    4) Timed releases I say go for if its something you really want. The ones you listed, I would line up more like 45 min ahead of time. Just get a double pour of something beforehand, then sip and relax while you are waiting in line. Sometimes they actually tap early, too (like 15-20 min, not hours early)
    5) All of them. JK. I recommend Witch's Hat, Hideout, OG, Vivant, Dragonmead and Kuhnenn. I don't have much up north knowledge. Sorry!
    6) I always have a list of specific beers I want to hit for sure, but wandering around and just sort of stopping at tents and seeing what they have is beneficial, too.

Have fun! I hope you don't fall in the river, too!

16. PattyMelt

Just scouting at timed release times, and saw that Bell's is doing an all day tap takeover Thurs the 25th @ Red Rock, but they are tapping BB batch 9000 at 6:30pm, Oatmeal stout at 7:00, and Wedding Ale at 7:30. So if anyone is in town and wants to try and get batch 9000 then as opposed to waiting in line at the festival, there ya go. And their food is delicious, too, in case you didn't know.

patol8 likes this.
  17. TheGoof

TheGoof Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

I'm "volunteering," so I won't be waiting in line. :slight_smile:

18. Spartan213

Spartan213 Initiate (0) May 28, 2008 Michigan

Done.

19. Corbet

Corbet Pundit (774) Nov 7, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Does anybody know if there will be any other tap takeovers in A2/Ypsi next week? I know Shorts had one in Ypsi. Arbor Brewing also released their Eruption sour.

20. sarro

sarro Initiate (0) May 12, 2009 Michigan

Going both days and hoping the weather isn't super hot or full of storms. There's too much beer to drink!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.