MBC evicted from its headquarters

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by steebo777, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

WTF???

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20120425/NEWS01/304250006/Michigan-Brewing-Co-evicted-from-Webberville-location

Michigan Brewing Co. was evicted Tuesday from its headquarters in Webberville, according to court records and officials familiar with the case. [...] It’s unclear at this point how the eviction could affect MBC’s other sites, including its downtown Lansing restaurant and brew pub, or its beverage-making business, which include rocker Kid Rock’s American Badass Beer.

2. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

3. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Was it a lease, or foreclosure? And I'm assuming there was some planning that went into this, as this isn't a one day process.
    Edit: read the Lansing article, it was a foreclosure, and sounds like someone bought it at the auction, but couldn't work out a lease agreement.

4. Bay01

Bay01 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

Apparently the Fenton brewery project is still on though, very strange.

5. MarcatGSB

Some of the comments at the bottom of the Patch article are pretty telling. Not sure the local community is thrilled about having to "help" along a business that is already struggling, just to fill space. The craft beer scene in Michigan is really a tough market right now, and you aren't going to make it producing sup-par beers, and teaming up with a local "superstar" to sell your beer. I'm just going to say it, their beers have never appealed to my palate, and this news wasn't really a surprise to me.

adamdd, nanobrew and Hokenfloken like this.
  6. Hokenfloken

Hokenfloken Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Michigan

I agree. This has been a long time coming. I don't like or buy any of their beers. Neither do any of my beer-drinking friends. MBC sits on the shelf next to some pretty heavy hitters here in Michigan and I never grab anything they make.

7. HawkinMI

HawkinMI Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2007 Michigan

Not sure how the Lansing space will survive or Fenton get off the ground based on how they are structured. I don't think they are actually brewing at either location but rather are transferring beer from the Webberville production facility to each location. Under Michigan law a production brewery may open a restaurant on site of the production facility or satellite locations but can only serve alcoholic beverages that are produced by the production facility. This is how other breweries in Michigan operate "Brewpubs" under their production brewery license. If this is the case the only products that MBC can serve at either location has to be brewed by MBC and since MBC was only brewing at Webberville that would mean that in very short order their will be no beer available for sale at their Lansing location.

8. mike409

mike409 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan

Clap clap clap. There beer is beyond subpar and bad ass is a damn joke

wesleypipes237 likes this.
  9. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I did like the Celis beers. Why are you happy that many lost their jobs?

10. jale

jale Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2009 Michigan

Having a brewery in any town is no longer a novelty. With so many options a short drive away, breweries must offer great beer good food and something unique if they are to survive.

11. mike409

mike409 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan

not happy they lost jobs but had conversation with head brewer and owner and can't say I liked how they were running stuff

12. biga7346

biga7346 Zealot (686) Jun 19, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

What's Michigan Brewing Company? Do they make beer?

13. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

I agree that they don't make good beer and really don't care about making good beer. I liked the Celis line an am bummed about lost jobs, but I haven't gone there in years.

14. chpueblo22

chpueblo22 Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2007 Michigan

I want to buy all the clearance homebrew stuff now...anyone know if they are going to sell this?

15. langmick

langmick Crusader (407) Sep 29, 2007 Michigan

It sucks for the employees and families, but they did have a long run, used to like the IPA, in fact, it got me into craft beer really...poor judgment, and the pub in Lansing had(s) HORRIBLE food. Disgustingly bad.

16. travMI13

travMI13 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

Losing the Celis line would be a huge bummer. I thought it was great that they kept the Celis name going on wit bier. Pierre Celis deserved it, for crying out loud.

Hopefully, they will at least sell the recipe/name to a reputable brewer who is interested in preserving it. It's fermented history.

17. rings

rings Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2011 Michigan

This sucks...they were one of the early players in the state - despite perhaps not making "outstanding" beer, it certainly wasn't bad and they had their fans, to be sure - and it was a regular pit stop when driving across the state on I-96. While they never really did much in terms of distribution, and were typically cash poor, but I had always understood that the Mason family owned much of the property surrounding the Webberville exit...perhaps that was no longer the case.
    In recent years, they had a homebrew shop, contracting of Celis White & Bad Ass Beers, a new kitchen including wood-fired pizza over, wine, and distilling operation in partnership with Michigan State University. It's a loss for all when there's one less producer out there to give people more choices, and - as mentioned above - several dozen people who may have lost jobs.
    I hope they work something else out soon.

GRPunk likes this.
  18. langmick

langmick Crusader (407) Sep 29, 2007 Michigan

I liked the gin. It made a good gt. Very drinkable.

Creative destruction is the way of capitalism. It sucks but we benefit... That is, until Bud owns everything. :slight_smile:

19. MarcatGSB

Well thought out response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.