Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

mature beer buying market Vs immature making market

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by aussieoverlord, Jan 22, 2013.

1. After a weekend of drinking at 4 Pines and Murray's at Manly I had a discussion with some mates. We started comparing the maturity of beer here in Australia to that of the imports coming in for the last few years. We started talking that there is a gap between what is coming in and what is being made locally.

Where I am getting at is that brewers are not matching the maturity of what is coming into shops besides a handful of breweries doing more unique beers for here, but for the most part if you want a single hop IPA, barleywine, quad, triple, etc you have to source at your local shop.

Is the Australian beer making market more advanced than what is made here? Is it really a better deal to buy from a local shop than from a local brewer?
  2. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

Not entirely sure I understand the question but it may be because I've been drinking Duvel Tripel Hop all day. That in and of itself might answer your question, or not. Fucking great beer and I can't think of anything an Australian brewery does that is anything like it. The gap is narrowing a bit though. A lot of folks will probably happily state that something like Watermelon Warhead has no real equivalent anywhere and even stuff like 4 Pines Chocolate Seaweed Porter, while not especially good, is something an Aussie brewery wouldn't have had the balls to try a year ago. All relative to the age/depth of the culture in this country. But don't listen to me, I am half-pissed on imported beer.
  3. Phatcampkids

Phatcampkids Initiate (20) Jan 22, 2013

I think the trouble is our population number makes it hard to support some truly special craft beer....hence we import from places where it is commercially viable....but as Parrotshake mentions - I think it is getting better. Prob about 12 years behind places like the USA as far as boutique craft beer goes
  4. trumpy

trumpy Aficionado (145) Australia Apr 21, 2008

I would say give it more time. I agree that our relatively small population is an issue, but there are some breweries out there that are really doing some cool stuff now (eg Moondog).
    If you estimate that in the states 1 in 10 people drink nothing but craft, that is still enough people to support a thriving craft scene. Those same ratios here is a much much smaller market. And our strong dollar is making it very easy to get hold of some really great stuff, which is also an impediment to the local producers. This may not always be the case though.
  5. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (745) Australia Jul 14, 2008

I myself have made this point before but it has been accurately destroyed by New Zealand as an example. Population the size of Sydney and it produces more interesting craft beer than the entire country can over here.
  6. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (745) Australia Jul 14, 2008

An interesting example. It almost appears that Australia has entered the teenage years where shock value and gimmick is more important that the actual product. That isn't entirely bad as it suggests better things are to come in the near future but there is certainly a little more maturity to come.
    goodbyesoberday likes this.