Märican Biere Bought and Drunk...

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Gutes_Bier, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

IMO, it's passable. And the price is usually quite good. That said, I still typically go with Spaten (even if it's considerably older).

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  2. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Another that I was excited about, but it fell flat in comparison to the imports, was Wisconsin Brewing's Ol' Reliable.

It was good, just not as good as the... well, Ol' Reliables! :wink:

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  3. herrburgess

Pooh-Bah Society

By far the best U.S. "craft" brewed Helles I have tried was Olde Mecklenburg's Mecklenburger. Shame they don't brew it any more.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  4. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

I'm not sure if I've seen Spaten's Hell over here yet. My local grocery store had the Oktoberfest (late in the season unfortunately) but normally doesn't seem to carry Spaten. The beer store might have them, I'll have to double check. I bought two bottles of Schlenerkla's Helles Lagerbier at +$4.00 each. I had one and thought either it had fallen off or I just didn't like it that much to begin with...it's not a beer I've had that much even in Germany to be honest, so I don't remember it too well. I don't think I'll be buying any more at that price.

I've had Sunken City's Dam Lager, Blue Mountain's Classic Lager...maybe one or two others that are escaping my memory...and they definitely seem to be geared towards Yuengling drinkers. Devil's Backbone is a local-ish German style brewer but I've never seen a pale lager from them, only a Vienna Lager.

herrburgess likes this.
  5. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

You got me to thinking, a few years back HB had a self-sanctioned tavern in Chicago called Überstein (they've since closed it after they opened a full-fledged, franchised Hofbräuhaus in the western suburbs -- which I haven't checked out yet) -- they would import their kegs straight from Munich and the Helles was sooo damned fresh and delicious. They also had a summer seasonal Kellerbier that was unfiltered Helles -- as good, maybe better.

The new hall is brewing their own beer so it will be interesting to see how it compares.

herrburgess and Gutes_Bier like this.
  6. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

Just saw that they're brewing a Braunbier for March -- @patto1ro might be interested to hear as well.

herrburgess and Gutes_Bier like this.
  7. patto1ro

patto1ro Pooh-Bah (1,998) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society

What sort of Braunbier is that?

8. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

I honestly don't know (yet). I saw it listed as the scheduled specialty for the local Hofbräuhaus affiliate for this March -- the listing reads: "Braunbier (Brown Beer*) Brown lager with hints of caramel." But honestly, how often do you see a "Braunbier" listed? Maybe he's been reading your books Ron?

I've been trying to research the brewmaster to see if he has some penchant for classic beer styles, but I've had no luck. Just have to throw caution to the wind and check it out for everyone come Spring. A dirty, thankless job -- for sure, but someone has to do it! :wink:

(*No scheiß)

9. herrburgess

Pooh-Bah Society

Review

[​IMG]

Nooner : Classic German Pilsner :: SNPA : Classic UK Pale Ale

10. Gutes_Bier

I honestly can't tell if this is a positive review or a negative review. :slight_smile: I know you like SNPA but I get the impression you don't like Nooner...? Or am I wrong?

breadwinner and herrburgess like this.
  11. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

Man -- that's a big image. :grinning:

I think Mr. Herrburgess is saying that if Nooner is a "classic" German Pilsner, SN Pale Ale is a Classic UK Pale Ale... which it ain't. :wink:

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  12. Gutes_Bier

Yes, but he enjoys SNPA despite this. Does he enjoy Nooner? I've just cracked one myself. I really don't mind it at all.

herrburgess likes this.
  13. herrburgess

Pooh-Bah Society

I did enjoy it, in the same way I enjoy SNPA. That said, I'm a bit torn. I don't think they have done anything really new here (the way they did with SNPA back in the day). But they have really done what so many U.S. "craft" brewers are always claiming: namely taken the style and finally, truly made it their own. Problem is, their "own" now belongs to so many others in the U.S. "craft" culture who have followed their lead/adopted their model. In the end, maybe this is simultaneously a return to the roots of "craft" and a sign that there's finally nothing new under the U.S. "craft" sun...?

steveh and Gutes_Bier like this.
  14. Gutes_Bier

So do you think it's overly hoppy? I'm kind of glad they delivered a straightforward Pilsner. It's not as good as...well, numerous German examples...but I'm enjoying it. I dunno...what negative marks do you give it specifically? I'm not trying to be obtuse (I was just born that way...).

breadwinner likes this.
  15. herrburgess

Pooh-Bah Society

For a true German pilsner (even a 1980s Jever :wink:) it is overly hoppy. For an AGP (American German Pilsner) it strikes a balance that is true to the U.S. craft "tradition." Does that make any sense? I'm honestly not trying to be intentionally vague, but this seems to be a "statement" beer in some way -- like bringing the whole movement full circle, and back to the very "roots" that SN themselves helped establish.

EDIT: to truly wax philosophical about it (which I seem to be doing unintentionally anyway), it's like what Kierkegaard refers to as a "rotation;" a constant search for the new that eventually comes full circle and cuts off a section of time so that we can digest and understand it in terms of the larger context (in this case, of what U.S. "craft" tradition and/or culture will ultimately look like). Man...I need another one or something....

#735 herrburgess, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    sergeantstogie likes this.
  16. spartan1979

spartan1979 Pundit (946) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

I visited the Chicago HB in December. It was our third or fourth stop of the day so I can't give you an honest evaluation of the beer. I did make it through my Maß of Dunkel, though. After that, I went to bed, as we were staying within walking distance.

I guess I'll have to make another visit.

steveh likes this.
  17. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Hey me too! My take is below...

"First sip, the beer is more inviting and drinkable than I remember from my first bottle a few days ago. I decided to have the Nooner first this time, then one of my Rothaus bottles second.

Hops are certainly at the forefront, but it's not Prima hoppy. The hop profile still seems a bit odd to me, still more bitter than I'd prefer, but it doesn't take too much away from the beer. The finish is still hoppy, and still odd, but I can't place my finger on what it is. The finish is also incredibly dry.

I dove right in with the tasting, and then went back to give the beer a good whiff. The nose is almost all faint, sweet malt, with a touch of hop bitterness at the end. Honestly, I wish what I smelled from the German malts was present in the taste, but the flavor is buried in hops. The taste is almost the reverse of the nose, all hops with faint pils malt sweetness. I imagine at 38 IBUs and an "American" take on a pilsner, this is exactly what they were going for.

Mouthfeel is invitingly crisp, and as I said earlier regarding the finish, quite dry. The beer is also extremely clean, but I wouldn't expect any less from Sierra Nevada.

I've had my fair share of bad pilsners, and this isn't one of them. This particular pils is right there with the Pivo's and Crisp's of the world. Which isn't a bad thing, but it's sort of like being the skinniest fat chick in the room."

Gutes_Bier and herrburgess like this.
  18. herrburgess

Pooh-Bah Society

I like Nooner, too. It's the quintessential CCAP (Classic "Craft" American Pilsner).

steveh and sergeantstogie like this.
  19. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Next up...

"What a contrast. Nose was nearly all malt....mmm, pils malt and spot on, there it is. Faint hop bitterness in the end. This patter is like Nooner, but the nose on this one is flat out better. The pils malt is simply bolder and makes the beer smell more, well, German.

Wow, sweet sweet malt. Perfectly sweet bready malt, that pils malt flavor I adore, and couldn't find in Nooner. The hops are there, floral, spicy, but complementary. I would hate to see them absent in this beautiful beer, but I'm glad they're not dominating.

This pils is smoother than Nooner, and it works. I'll give Nooner one thing, it's crisper and drier than Rothaus. This makes the Rothaus more drinkable overall, but I could see the crisper and drier Nooner being more inviting on a hot summer day.

Rothaus becomes more crisper and dry, with a more assertive hop bitterness as the beer warms. Still not "Nooner level" but worth noting.

Needless to say, the beer is clean, and much like Sierra Nevada, I wouldn't expect any less from such a highly touted pils such as Rothaus.

Rothaus and Nooner are two completely different pilsners. I'd like to do a side by side with Nooner and Weihenstephan's, which is another pilsner I find to be more hop forward, crisp and dry. Weihenstephan's is better from memory, the pils malt is more outstanding, and the hop bitterness is near flawless. This isn't to say Sierra Nevada can't make that sweetness really pop in the malt department, they do a solid job with Summerfest. I simply don't think that's what they were going for, and it would be interesting to compare it to a German pils that fits a similar profile.

One last thing....the Rothaus says best before April 30th, 2015.....Nooner was packaged on December 12th, 2014. I can't imagine what this comparison would be like given a level playing field."

Gutes_Bier, einhorn and herrburgess like this.
  20. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

This is exactly the way I feel about SN's take on this beer -- I wish I could have put it as clearly as you've found the words.

Is it a "classic" German Pilsner? No, but no more than SNPA was a classic Pale Ale. I think you need to quickly trademark the AGP moniker!

herrburgess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.