Los Angeles and Cleveland in Top 5 Best Beer Cities?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sandiego67, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandiego67

sandiego67 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2008 California

I guess the writer doesn't get out on the road much.

http://www.gq.com/food-travel/restaurants-and-bars/201210/best-beer-cities-october-2012

• Los Angeles, The New Frontier of Beer: The magazine give special mention to two local breweries, Golden Road Brewing and Eagle Rock Brewery.
    • Denver, Welcome to Brewtown, U.S.A.: A bit of a no-brainer. Everyone knows the Rockies are famous for both their monstrous brewing giants and small, powerful micro-brew producers, but did you know Denver is home to the Great American Beer Festival every October?
    • Philadelphia, Home of the Perfect Pub Crawl: It seems natural that the home of the cheesesteak would also produce excellent things with which to wash those storied sandwiches down, but Philly is also where our founding fathers drank their beer, and GQ doesn't want us to forget that.
    • Cleveland, The Old-School Beertown: Cleveland proves its beer-loving mettle by being home to Nano Brew Cleveland, where they will "pour you a bready amber ale while they tune your bike."
    • San Francisco, Brews for Foodies: We see you creeping up on us in quality of food and drink, San Fran. Don't think New York isn't paying attention. In particular, GQ calls attention to Almanac and Pacific Brewing Labs, who are both focusing on beer brewed with unusual and seasonal ingredients like plums and hibiscus.

2. errantnight

errantnight Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2005 District of Columbia
    Trader

Los Angeles might be the undiscovered country of potentially great beer cities, but it sure as shit isn't there, yet (yes, there are great spots and it's getting better by the day, so as a sidebar "most potential" or "most likely to make this list in 5 years" I'd buy it, but for now despite the many bright spots it just doesn't compare. Yet.

3. IceAce

IceAce Pooh-Bah (2,220) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Wow.

A GQ list of beer cities? Beer Knerds feelings hurt?

Say it ain't so!

4. BB1313

BB1313 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,278) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In all fairness, Cleveland has a pretty nice beer scene. Is it Top 5? I don't know, probably not. But there's alot of great bars and breweries and it's currently getting better every year. If anything, Cleveland is on the rise, just not there yet compared to established beer destinations.

cratez, gatornation, chcfan and 6 others like this.
  5. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

Haha, I saw this yesterday and I am surprised it took so long for this to get posted.

All lists suck, but realize they are the opinion of one person, or one group of people. I will say this, Cleveland is a better beer city than many places I see on other "top" beer cities lists; that's all I can say for sure.

6. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Why are BAs always so surprised about feeble lists from magazines like GQ?

Their idea of the editorial staff "beer expert" is someone at GQ who has an occasional Blue Moon or Michelob Amber between drinking Bud Lite or Miller Lite out of the bottle like they see in the commercials, or, if they really want to get all beer snobby, a Fat Tire.

When their "best beer' lists always include an American Light Lager, that should give you a clue as to their level of beer knowledge.

Resuin and chcfan like this.
  7. miketd

This list is as good as many I've seen from so-called beer mags/sites.

In the end, does it really matter? Things like this only serve as a starting point for a conversation about personal favorites. I wouldn't have Cleveland or LA in my top 5, but Philly and Denver probably wouldn't make it either.

I would be absolutely shocked if someone disagreed with this post.

/sarcasm

8. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Cleveland should be #1 for Head Hunter alone.

Just sayin'.

9. Spider889

Spider889 Pooh-Bah (1,921) Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

I love when people hate on the opinions of others and yet refuse to give their own idea of what is better or more correct...

albertq17, GRG1313 and Errto like this.
  10. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Maven (1,461) Mar 19, 2011 Ohio

Cleveland is definitely a great beer city. Great Lakes, Fat Head's, The Brew Kettle, Thirsty Dog, Hoppin Frog, lots of great bottleshops and bars too.

CaptCleveland and cratez like this.
  11. tronto

tronto Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2010 Kentucky

what bottle shops do you suggest? Going up there for a wedding in a couple of weeks.

12. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

On a per capita basis, I would put New Albany, IN in the top 5.

harperman69 likes this.
  13. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

100% agree.

14. NoSignsOfPain

NoSignsOfPain Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2011 California

I guess San Diego and Portland doesn't exist :rolling_eyes:

tyrsis, Resuin, LostTraveler and 4 others like this.
  15. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

I place GQ's beer expertice up there with BA's knowledge of fall fashion...

16. miketd

Simone's, Mini Mart, Ross Deli, Rozi's - all in Lakewood.

Lizardville in Bedford Heights or Rocky River

Most Heinen's stores - several in the area

tronto likes this.
  17. psuKinger

psuKinger Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

I'm from Pittsburgh, so I'm genetically pre-disposed to hating Cleveland.

But the Fathead's brewery (the original Pub, which funded the whole brewing endeavor, is from Pittsburgh, which makes it easier for me to swallow) up in Cleveland is legit. World Class. As production ramps up and their beers start getting out into a larger populace, people will wake up and come to the same conclusion many of us here in Pittsburgh/Cleveland already have.

18. hopsputin

hopsputin Grand Pooh-Bah (4,017) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

The only positive to this heat wave that we are still experiencing on SoCal is that I can wear my Hawaiian shirt, even in October :slight_smile:

19. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

The best beer city is....whatever city I'm in [as long as I can find a decent selection of craft beer].

Bitterbill likes this.
  20. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 Washington

And apparently we have no beer in Seattle...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.