Looking for a simple, all extract (no grain), no secondary fermentation, no dry hop IPA recipe

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by PlinyBubbles, Mar 4, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlinyBubbles

PlinyBubbles Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2011 California

I'm brewing my first batch and want a good IPA recipe that keeps things as simple as possible. I'm most interested in something West Coast style, ie. Green Flash West Coast, Sculpin, etc.

2. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New York

For 5 gallons:

7 lbs Muntons extra light DME
    1 oz Warrior or Magnum hops (60 min)
    2 oz Amarillo hops (10 min)
    2 oz Amarillo hops (0 min)
    Safale US-05

AthensBrewer and Genuine like this.
  3. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

I appreciate wanting to keep it simple, but IMO dry-hopping really makes an IPA, particularly if you want it more in the west coast style.

jmich24 likes this.
  4. PlinyBubbles

PlinyBubbles Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2011 California

Can I dry hop without doing a secondary fermentation?

5. Homebrew42

Yes, you can dry hop in the primary after fermentation dies down. Lots of people do it this way with good results. That said, you can brew a perfectly good IPA without dry hopping, despite what some people might tell you.

Beejay likes this.
  6. tngolfer

tngolfer Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Tennessee

7. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Translation: Perfectly good = not quite as good/aromatic as the same beer with dryhopping...IMHO...put me down as "some people")

8. Homebrew42

You can brew a highly aromatic IPA without dry hopping. It's a popular, but not a required element of the style.

9. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

I suppose it's possible, but you would be using even more hops late than you would dryhopping to achieve a similar result.

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I personally dry hop my IPAs but you can certainly make a ‘good’ IPA by just adding hops at the end of boil for aroma.

Dry hopping and end of boil hopping both add hop aroma but what they are different aroma qualities. Neither method is inherently ‘better’.

You can also follow the ‘belt and suspenders’ approach and add aroma hops at both additions: end of boil and dry hopping. This is the approach that I take.

For the ‘interested reader’:

“Many brewers turn to dry hopping in an effort to get more hop flavor and aroma, but dry hopping results in a completely different hop character, which maybe out of place in certain styles.

While dry hopping is a great technique, it is often characterized as more resiny and grassy, while boiled hops are often characterized as more floral and spicy. Ray Daniels, in Designing Great Beers, says, "Late-hopped additions have been characterized as more floral, fragrant, and less grassy than dry-hopped additions."

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

Cheers!

11. PDXHops

PDXHops Maven (1,435) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

This sounds so simple (not to mention delicious) that I'm half tempted to start brewing again.

12. aficionado

aficionado Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 New Jersey

Despite the name, Green Flash West Coast IPA is nearly not as close to the West Coast style IMO as Sculpin or Green Flash Imperial IPA.

I second dryhopping if you want a truly fantastic IPA (...plus either brewing via all grain or partial mash with a healthy yeast starter, but that's a whole other story). In my experience, late hop additions in general, especially flameout and dryhop, are key to an IPA with a great nose. When done properly, at the right temperatures, with the right hops, in the right amounts, with a good recipe, there's no reason why you should not have an aroma as great as Lagunitas Sucks or Pliny the Elder. Dryhopping is not difficult at all and can be done in the primary if that is your only option. Just toss in 0.5 to 0.6 ounces of pellet hops per gallon of beer after about 2-3 weeks of fermentation/post-ferm cleanup. The trick is to set the carboy at counter height so you can easily siphon off the beer without moving it and stirring up the suspended yeast.

Homebrew42's basic recipe is a good start. Though you can certainly use different hops and add a dryhop as well. Good luck!

13. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

HB42 did exactly as the OP requested. All this additional talk involving dry hopping, while good information for some, is not doing the OP any good. When he (or she, shouldn't assume) wants to learn about dry hopping, he or she will probably ask.

14. aficionado

aficionado Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 New Jersey

OP asked: "Can I dry hop without doing a secondary fermentation?"

So obviously he is intrigued about dryhopping. Some people like to over-complicate things and dryhopping is certainly nothing to be intimidated by. And while other things may help your beer, like using a healthy yeast starter instead of two packets of dry yeast... these steps may be a tad more involved for a new brewer. I can understand that. ~ Are we done mocking now?

15. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

dry hop talk is definitely doing OP good. i agree with everyone suggesting he throw in some hops in primary.

while HB42 is obviously right that you can make great, aromatic IPAs without dry hopping, there's almost no quicker way to better aroma (and therefore taste) for novice brewers like the OP (and myself).

i would go so far as to say dry hopping is absolutely essential if you want the good aspects of "west coast IPAs", until your overall brewing technique is good enough to maximize what you get out of your ingredients.

16. Timmush

Timmush Pundit (907) Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey

What does everyone suggest would be a good hop addition to this extract IPA for Dry hopping.

17. jmich24

jmich24 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

IMO would suggest 1-3 oz of dry hops. I have read spacing out the dry hops can be benifical. My last two dry hops were done with half (.75 ounce) for 7 days in the primary towards the very end of the fermentation and half (.75 ounce) directly in the keg.

Good luck!

18. cracker

cracker Pundit (893) May 2, 2004 Pennsylvania

What are your choices? You can't go wrong with a one or more of the following hops IMO: amarillo, cascade, centennial, citra, nugget, simcoe...

19. Timmush

Timmush Pundit (907) Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey

With what hops for the first mentioned recipe?

20. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Quantity? Or, variety? Go with the Amarillo since it is the base of this beer. I think 2 oz. of amarillo is enough, but you can use more if you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.