Leinenkugel Brewing Co. Introduces Big Eddy Wee Heavy Scotch Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Founder (0) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

CHIPPEWA FALLS, WI (March 5, 2012) – The Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company today launched Big Eddy Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, the first in a series of daring, yet delicious Big Eddy brews to be released in 2012. Big Eddy Wee Heavy Scotch Ale captures the signature warmth and comfort of traditional scotch ales, one of the most majestic beer styles in the world.

Thanks to an intensive brewing process, Big Eddy Wee Heavy Scotch Ale offers significant malt complexity, including eight malts and grains for a robust richness. The brew, which adds a touch of hops to balance the malts, features assertive chocolate, toffee and caramel notes, with a hint of smoke and dark fruity undertones subtly emerging throughout.

Born in Scotland, velvety full-bodied Wee Heavy Scotch Ales were originally brewed to satisfy the demand of hearty laborers who endured cold weather and harsh working conditions. “Being from Wisconsin’s Northwoods, we know a thing or two about cold temperatures and had no problem capturing the signature warmth and comfort of the traditional brew,” said Jake Leinenkugel, fifth generation brewer and president of the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company.

Bold in flavor, yet remarkably balanced, Leinenkugel’s Big Eddy family of beers shares a common taste for the extraordinary. Inspired by the Big Eddy Spring, the lifeline of the Leinenkugel’s brewery in Chippewa Falls, Wis. since 1867, the Big Eddy brand offers big beer fans complex, yet balanced flavors beyond the mainstream.

Filling the senses with a fragrant malt aroma, Big Eddy Wee Heavy Scotch Ale features a variety of robust malts that create rich flavor and texture. Hand-selected malts include Pale, Honey, Caracrystal® Wheat, Roasted, Victory®, and Cherrywood Smoked. Like its predecessor, Russian Imperial Stout, Big Eddy Wee Heavy Scotch Ale ages and travels well.

Leinenkugel’s Big Eddy Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, a dense, mahogany-colored brew, features a creamy tan foam. As it warms, the layers of malt flavors will melt together revealing the subtle undertones of fruit and biscuits. As the brew mellows, it reveals more of its plum, raisin, and dark cherry flavors.

Big Eddy Wee Heavy Scotch Ale will be available in limited release through June 2012 in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Georgia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington D.C., Virginia, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Texas, and Arizona. The ale, which is 9.5 percent ABV, will be available in four-pack bottles and on draft.

[​IMG]

About Leinenkugel’s
    Leinenkugel’s, brewed in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, since 1867, is the leading craft brewer in the upper Midwest. Year-round offerings include Leinenkugel’s Honey Weiss, Sunset Wheat, Berry Weiss, Leinie’s Red, Creamy Dark, Original, Light and Leinenkugel’s Classic Amber Lager. In addition to Big Eddy Wee Heavy Scotch Ale, Leinenkugel’s offers three limited-release seasonal beers, including summer favorite Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy, Oktoberfest, and Fireside Nut Brown. For more information on the rich history of Leinenkugel’s, visit www.leinie.com or join Leinie loyalists at www.Facebook.com/Leinenkugels.

###

2. StPaulSuds

StPaulSuds Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2011 Minnesota

Got a couple bottles of these a couple weeks ago, pretty tasty. I've never been a huge fan of Leinenkugels but i have been impressed by both the imperial stout and wee heavy big eddys.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  3. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

Is it in stores somewhere? I thought I read it wasn't released until June. I am very intrigued to try this and the IIPA that they are bringing back; I've had the imperial stout and was really impressed, especially for a Leiny beer.

4. BeerBaronDarren

BeerBaronDarren Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2011 Michigan

This is very exciting! Big Eddy Imperial Stout is awesome!!

5. StPaulSuds

StPaulSuds Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2011 Minnesota

There must have been a very small release in February cuz my local store had a couple of bottles, but have not seen it since.

6. MBrausen

MBrausen Initiate (0) May 24, 2011 Minnesota

Ale Jail in Saint Paul still has it on hand after a couple weeks.

It was okay. Not really what I would call a Wee Heavy...

7. Renniks29

Renniks29 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2010 Minnesota

Andy's Liquors in Rochester has it. Seemed like there was a stack of it at the Marketplace and Crossroads stores.

8. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 Minnesota

I second that. Personally, I try to avoid Leinies...

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  9. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

Just cannot pull the trigger on a 4 pack. Would love to find it on tap however. Any clues in Minneapolis?

10. beergod1

beergod1 Savant (1,123) May 2, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

I Got it In N.E. Ohio just this week (3-23-12) It is wonderful. Now I just need to rate it.

11. Bogforce

Bogforce Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2010 Ohio

Had it on tap at Eddie George's grille in Columbus. It was surprisingly good but also too expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.