Latest WOW beer!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jeffo, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffo

Jeffo Pooh-Bah (2,850) Sep 7, 2008 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Hi everyone,

I've started a couple of these over the last few years and people always come up with new and interesting things in beerland. Always an interesting read. Helps me (and others hopefully) keep up with what's new and exciting as well.

For me, Menno has started a side project called Merciless Brewing. He brewed a Dutch imperial stout called Painful Death and I absolutely love it! Other Dutch breweries make imperial stouts that are tobacco/licorice bombs, and while this one has hints of those flavors, which is actually what makes it "Dutch," they are very nicely balanced with all the other stuff that Menno does so well in his stout beer. Here's my write-up if you're interested: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31695/94979/?ba=Jeffo

So, what new brew / brewery has gotten your attention? If you're up for it, link a review or beer page so us interested minds can have a read.

Cheers,
    Jeff

2. black13

black13 Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Oregon

De Garde out of Tillimook Oregon is putting out some great offerings. Haven't had a bad one yet, with their cranberry Bu Weisse being my favorite. And at 2.1%, you can drink it all day.

3. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

It may be delicious but at 2.1% I couldn't call it an alcoholic beverage.

4. tectactoe

tectactoe Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Why not?

5. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Crystal Hero from Revolution Brewing. A recent IPA that blew me away. Now just kicking myself I didn't pick up another bottle or two while in Chicago!

Boonedog, Envelopes, mxchap and 6 others like this.
  6. otispdriftwood

For the same reason I never considered 3.2% beer an alcoholic beverage. Not enough alcohol. In fact, I consider everything less than 6% light beer. Just a personal thing, but it's all mine.

7. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

Class of 88 Barleywine. I don't see why people dislike this. I'm a fan.

8. Bay01

Bay01 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

Revolution/FW Dos Osos - won't blow your face off but I felt like I could drink this forever on a hot day. Light body but enough hop aroma/taste to keep it interesting. Most "session" IPA's I find lacking in flavor and most IPA's aren't that drinkable, this is the first beer I've had to strike that balance almost perfectly.

9. tectactoe

tectactoe Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

But if something is made up of 2.1% alcohol, then it "contains alcohol", no?

10. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Crooked Stave Dry Hopped L'Brett D'or

11. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Texas

I had the privilege of visiting the Jester King brewery on Saturday and tried a couple of great brews. But really the one that I was surprised most by was Austin Beerworks Heavy Machine DIPA. I never buy anything with out looking it up first (bad experience with purchasing a couple of 10-15 dollars bombs) but I did with this one and was in love!

h0ppster likes this.
  12. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Pundit (809) Jul 23, 2010 New Jersey

El Cuatro from The Ale Apothecary. Harrymel sent me a bottle, and holy shit was that stuff delicious. Got my face all up in it.

Easily a top 3 Best New Breweries I've tried in the past year or two.

13. standardcherry

standardcherry Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2011 Massachusetts

CCB Mango Habanero IPA. I was surprised by the relatively "low" score (87). For what they're calling it it's spot on, maybe the low ratings are people turned off by the heat. It's a spicy beer, but so perfectly balanced with the mango sweetness and hoppy bitterness. I loved it.

14. pmoney

pmoney Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2011 Illinois

New Glarus Thumbprint Berliner Weiss really stunned me. I need to work on getting a few cases now considering what an awesome session beer it is!

15. otispdriftwood

Yes, of course. It seems as if I'm bringing my personal opinions to the wrong table.

16. standardcherry

standardcherry Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2011 Massachusetts

Societe The Pupil is another one recently that has impressed me a lot.

17. JJWIGHT

JJWIGHT Zealot (704) Feb 14, 2012 Minnesota

New Glarus Berliner Weisse. I grew up in Wisconsin and drank a lot of Spotted Cow during college, then I moved away and really got into craft and revisited Spotted Cow and my palate no longer enjoys it. However, every unpluggged 4 pack I have tried has been awesome. Never had a Berliner before and already finished my first 4 pack, with two more 4's in the fridge. Low ABv C ornot,lberliners are wonderful summertime brews.

18. mychalg9

mychalg9 Pooh-Bah (2,061) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

New Glarus Berliner Weisse
    Uinta Hop Notch

19. HisBoyElroy

HisBoyElroy Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2013 Michigan

It's not an opinion to call something an alcoholic beverage. It is or it isn't.

20. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,467) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.