Latest Pipeworks Releases and Updates (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spicoli00

spicoli00 Pooh-Bah (2,231) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society

It's not Audi hatchback, but it'll do.

blue-dream and fatdeets like this.
  2. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2013 Iowa

I'm not going to dig through this thread to find what I'm looking for, but was this last batch of Square Grouper a bit more active? We opened a bottle at Darkness day and it started foaming like crazy. It wasn't a gusher by any means, but even with 3/4 of the bottle poured out, the bottle filled with foam and then eventually escaped out through the mouth of the bottle. Once we got to the end of the bottle there was about a centimeter of sediment that was incredibly gristly. For the most part, the beer itself was still wonderful, but I had not had this experience with the other bottle I had.

3. NickyPogs

NickyPogs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Between my buddies and I, we opened 6 bottles of SG and didn't have any of these problems with too much foam. Everything poured really well for me and there wasn't really any extra sediment at the bottom of the bottle. This was just my experience, and from what I've seen in the thread haven't come across any other posts about this batch of SG.

hombrepalo and TomO23 like this.
  4. Infinite1

Infinite1 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

I have never had a foam problem either but then again I only had 1 bottle

5. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Anybody know if Pipeworks is planning on canning some of their beers? Reason I ask is I just saw an updated label for "Close Encounters" and it shows it'll be packaged in 1 Pint, which I assume would be a 16oz can? If so, that would be awesome! @NOTpipeworks

6. Jaycase

Jaycase Grand Pooh-Bah (3,554) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yes, cans likely in 2015. See above post by PW

7. beardown2489

beardown2489 Pooh-Bah (1,892) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

They said to expect 5 year round beers. I remember it's NvU, Close Encounter, Blood of the Unicorn and two others.

I think I remember 1 of the other 2 is a frequently released beer and I don't think they've decided the other yet.

8. spicoli00

Pooh-Bah Society

was glacus one of them?

9. SaulTBauls

I'll have to try to post the video. It was like nothing I've seen, especially from an IPA.

10. beardown2489

beardown2489 Pooh-Bah (1,892) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

If I had to guess, I'd guess they'll do something like that. They've put out some really good versions of the style at least 3, maybe 4? My favorite is Glacus.

11. Jaycase

Jaycase Grand Pooh-Bah (3,554) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

From a Trib article back in July posted in the thread

Pipeworks will can five year-round beers, Lewis said: Ninja vs. Unicorn (an imperial India pale ale), Close Encounter (a hoppy stout), Blood of the Unicorn (a hoppy red ale) and two new beers — a pale ale made with Mosaic hops and a lower alcohol Belgian-style beer. The four-packs will be priced between $9.99 and $11.99.

spicoli00 likes this.
  12. Makubex

Makubex Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2012 Illinois

Was the bottle bouncing around during your trip to darkness day?

I've had three bottles with no issues, and I'd imagine that any problems with the batch would have spawned other posts in thread besides your own.

HawkeyeNation likes this.
  13. SaulTBauls

The bottle wasn't shook up at all and it didn't foam right after the cap came off, it was once we poured the beer. I was really surprised. Especially with the amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Give me a couple of minutes and I should have the video uploaded.

14. SaulTBauls

Video doesn't do a great job of showing how full the bottle is or how much of the bottle is filled with foam. But that foam just kept bubbling out.

Also, this isn't meant to be a Pipeworks hate post or anything like that. Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience with Square Grouper.

15. NickyPogs

NickyPogs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I can definitely see from the video what you are talking about. That is pretty odd indeed. Did the bottle get too cold? That's the only thing I can think of that the beer might have started to freeze. FWIW I didn't think your post was of hate or being upset, more of just a general query.

16. NOTpipeworks

NOTpipeworks Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2014 Illinois

I'll send you a PM in a bit.

SaulTBauls likes this.
  17. jplopez21

jplopez21 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Illinois

I had the same experience with SG at darkness day. opened up bottle poured some, started foaming, poured some more, kept foaming, poured some more, kept foaming, poured some more, kept foaming, poured some more and finally stopped.

Disclaimer: I also opened up a bottle previously of SG (same batch) with no over foaming issues. So I would assume it was due to the trip up to Minnesota.

18. spicoli00

Pooh-Bah Society

Totally the change in altitude:wink:

RWNay, Makubex, NickyPogs and 2 others like this.
  19. fatdeets

fatdeets Initiate (0) May 19, 2014 Illinois

I can't believe all these bottles of SG are still even around. I felt like a hype with that stuff in my fridge. I couldn't stop thinking about it until it was gone. Soooooo good....

20. Infinite1

Infinite1 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

I am sure they aren't around anymore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.