Laffler and Straka on the future of brewing in Chicago

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Etan, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Etan

Etan Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2011 Wisconsin

ravot, otrejo and Zaphog like this.
  2. nickMB

nickMB Savant (1,118) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

as one of the idiots starting a brewing venture in chicago, I found this an amazing read.

3. Etan

I'm not so sure that there is an over-saturation of local breweries in the Chicago market. Even with all the new ones popping up, there are still very few compared to other major craft brewing cities.

4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Good read, thanks for sharing.

5. Vav

Vav Savant (1,025) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

Yeeeeup.

6. Monsone

Monsone Pundit (762) Jun 5, 2006 Illinois

I agree to a point. But if all are creating similar products packaged in bombers I do think the market share will be tough. Especially when you consider that we have a ridiculous amount of great beer from elsewhere distro'd here (and more on their way i.e. Ballast Point). There is incredible demand and it keeps increasing, but like was touched on in the article Binny's only has so much shelf space. We have had a couple of new beer retailers focusing on craft beer (Beer Temple, Bottles and Cans) but how are the retailers going to move all of this beer?

harrylee773 likes this.
  7. Lansman

Lansman Savant (1,104) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

Laffler: I believe strongly in competition. My best work has usually been done out of spite.

That needs to be put on the back of an Off Color T-shirt right this second.

8. Etan

That's true, distribution also factors in.

9. Jplachy

Jplachy Pooh-Bah (1,664) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I went to Binny's yesterday and saw rows upon rows of plain white boxes full of Pipeworks looking bombers. Some of it was Pipeworks but on closer inspection I saw a DIPA and Pale Ale from 18th St and a couple of Spiteful bombers. And I thought to myself why on Earth would I even try these? Why would I shell out the $10 to TRY a beer when there are already 3-5 local IPAs that I already love?

The reason is because I like beer...a lot and I'm willing to give this stuff a try but why would anyone else? What would motivate someone to buy any of these beers that all....honestly....look the same?

10. Bay01

Bay01 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

I don't recognize that guy with the shirt on.

MegDuf32, Jkoeneman, otrejo and 4 others like this.
  11. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

I thought the comments on pricing w/r/t bombers especially interesting. The River North Binnys has rows and rows of Pipeworks bottles that just don't move (Froggy Porter, etc.). Stacks and stacks now from Spiteful and 18th Street. I liked the Biker Burner just fine but if I'm going to spend $10-12 on a DIPA, I'll just wait for the next ninja/unicorn from Pipeworks.

Along similar lines, now that A Little Crazy is in 6-packs, I don't know why I would buy Glaucus again. Not that price drives every decision buying decision I make (I'll try most any bottle at least once) but for consistent purchases? I wish I weren't so price conscious but, sadly, I didn't study hard enough in school, so here I am.

otrejo likes this.
  12. PDZ

PDZ Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2012 Illinois

Cool read there, thanks man. I sensed some fear in their chats.

13. ravot

ravot Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois

i was really excited for april, with lagunitas opening. but that is being delayed until june. i was sad for april. now i am happy with OCB (yeah, you know me!) launching in april.

14. jtg5678

jtg5678 Zealot (572) Nov 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Thanks for sharing. I really hope to see a change in the bomber approach. Why not 4-pack cans? How expensive is that? I assume printing the cans plays a role, especially with Pipeworks having so many beers.

15. ravot

ravot Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois

first thing that popped into my head was dark horse's lambeaks.
    i'm hoping they admit it and offer exchanges for a pallet of BBPT5, then i can trade it for a pair of tickets to DLD

Duff27 likes this.
  16. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

My guess as far as cans go for Pipeworks is that they have no room to store the empty cans waiting to be filled. One of the two said that the minimum order these days for cans is half of semi-trailer. Pipeworks has no room for that many empty cans (nor the room for a canning machine).

17. jtg5678

jtg5678 Zealot (572) Nov 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Hmm, that sucks. Hopefully soon they can. I mean, if Finch's can do it in their small brewery, selling (presumably) less beer, it shouldn't be that out of the picture.

EDIT: Actually, Finch's probably sells more because they're in markets outside of Chicago.

18. mecummins

mecummins Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2012 Illinois

"JL: It's really cool to see outsiders throw their hats in the ring. On the one hand there's a creativity and outside perspective from not coming within the industry and cutting your teeth somewhere else. But then, someone has to teach you how to clean a tank, how to use caustic safely, how not to burn yourself or hurt someone. And it's professionals that know how to do that. Home brewing does not prepare you for that."

I think this was such a great point. It's easy to get passionate about brewing, but just as easy to forget that you have to pay your dues and learn it as a trade first.

19. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Breweries planned on making super hoppy beers, with hops they can't get. Yep.

Spider889 and MarcatGSB like this.
  20. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 Indiana

Awesome read from a great guy to talk to.

Except that they are non transferable this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.