Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice 2012

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by liamt07, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2005 New York

Basically what they've been doing with the Raspberry Eisbock for the past 4 years or so....except it always said 2007 on the labels.

KUHNHENN, WHY YOU NO CONSISTENT WITH YR WEIRD PRACTICESES?!

steebo777 likes this.
  2. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

If the world still exists after Friday I may try to pop over for some sips and bottles on Saturday or Sunday. Hopefully some BB4D is left over.

Noticed the 1 bottle limit on the Dark Heathen. Is the bottle limit based on how much they have to sell or something else?

3. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2010 Tajikistan

That's what they did with Extraneous Ale last year. It was from the same batch as the 2010 Extraneous, but I'm pretty sure that they just put a 'Winter Solstice 2011' label on it.

4. Knifestyles

Since it's the last year's vintage, I'd imagine it's because their stock has dwindled. I don't think it's particularly "rare" by any means. Actually, I can still buy it on the shelf in Westchester, NY.

5. myxmastrmike

myxmastrmike Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Michigan

I'm going to second this...
    2011 Heathen is available at virually every major beer store in the East Deroit Metro area... and for $2+ cheaper per bottle lol!
    If you're a Heathen fan, just stop by a beer store on your way to the party, buy as many as you like, and bring em along to enjoy there.
    Maybe leave em in the car and have your first drink there so they can cool down a bit since they're on shelves, but after that, you'd be good to go lol...

I am pondering the idea of pulling one of my 2010 and 2011 bottles of BB4D, bringing them along and doing a vertical tasting with those and 2012.. Seems as good a time as any haha

6. mike409

mike409 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan

So are we safe to assume that with the dropping if kre\bbbw\and French toast and also adding the low limits that probably half the people that were planning to come are now not going to?

7. dblab33

dblab33 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Michigan

Pretty sure a lot of folks that planned to come in from out of town may now reconsider. I love me some Kuhnhenn beverages but can't say I'd drive too far to get them considering the low limits and absence of the bottles you mentioned.

8. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Can't speak for everyone else, but I'll still be there! Looking forward to the party! :grinning:

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  9. 1noa

1noa Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2011 Virginia

I'm not going to be heading over till Saturday now, can't wait to have a few.

10. RyanMM

RyanMM Crusader (403) Mar 12, 2009 Michigan

At least with the Extraneous, it still said 2010 on the bottle. I have some of those, I'm pretty sure.

11. Mattmc1973

Mattmc1973 Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Michigan

Having so many bottles fall off the list, I have to think its going to cost them tens of thousands of dollars in revenue. They probably figure it's not really lost revenue, since they'll eventually sell the beer. But this party is their biggest potential audience to sell the most beer in the shortest time.

I have no idea how much Raspberry Eisbock they brew, but let's pretend they sell two 1/2 barrels worth in bottles and draft at the party. Doing the math, when they normally sell it at $2/oz, thats over $7,000.

12. Knifestyles

What???

There's no loss. They're going to sell everything they make....whether it comes out this Friday or next summer. Had they dumped all of this beer down the drain, then that would be a loss.

Selling the most amount of beer in the shortest amount of time isn't exactly the point here either.

Marti403 and surlytheduff like this.
  13. claspada

claspada Pooh-Bah (2,305) Sep 27, 2007 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah

Has anyone ever tasted the Simcoe Sillier, BA Solar Eclipse or Sol Invictus, can't find much information on any of them.

14. northernbrews

northernbrews Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2006 Michigan

Yep, I think the fact that they won't have the KRE, BBBW and French Toast will make for a better party overall and is a win - win for Kuhnhenn and locals. The party will be less crowded and I imagine there will be far less lining up at 4am to grab an order sheet now.

I wish breweries in general would have smaller releases with only a few different bottles throughout the year instead of these mega releases once or twice a year.

Marti403 and steebo777 like this.
  15. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Per their FB page:
    Sol Invictus is a bottle conditioned Saison with Sage, Russian Sage(blossoms only) and orange peel. It is outstanding! The Stollen is an ale that tastes like a stollen.

16. Knifestyles

They're all new beers, technically....two of which are new treatments of beers that already exist.

Simcoe Sillier is a stronger version of Simcoe Silly (apparently brewed with honey)

Barrel Aged Solar Eclipse is just that...

Sol Invictous is described as "a bottle conditioned Saison with Sage, Russian Sage (blossoms only) and orange peel"

17. Mattmc1973

Mattmc1973 Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Michigan

Right, that's what I said, they probably figure it's no loss since they'll eventually sell it. But if you're running a business, guaranteed big money now is better than probable money later. And for those saying "less crowds and less people lining up" is better...sure it's better, for US. But if you're running the business, more crowds and more lines equals more money. Think of the money the breweries make at Dark Lord or 4Elf days. Most money they make all year. If they announced days before that most of the beers people are coming for are not ready, that's a huge impact in $. If Kuhnhenn doesn't care, great, yes they'll see that money later I guess.

18. abraxel

abraxel Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 Michigan

But if they release a beer before it's ready, they'll annoy their customers even more than if they delay the release. Yes, all else being equal, it's better to get the money earlier, but it's not worth the loss of goodwill and reputation of putting out a sub-par product.

Or at least that's apparently the conclusion they've come to, and it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

fiver29 and Knifestyles like this.
  19. Knifestyles

You originally stated, by your math, that Kuhnhenn is likely to lose "tens of thousands of dollars" due to the omission of a few beers from the release list....do you still stand by that estimation? Seems incredibly exaggerated.

20. BeRanger

BeRanger Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011 Michigan

We're all clearly hard to please.

When we buy a bottle at a release that isn't ready, we complain they should have waited to release a good product.
    When we can't buy a bottle because they won't release it for not being ready, we bitch that they aren't releasing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.