Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice 2012

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by liamt07, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnB87

JohnB87 Zealot (649) Mar 14, 2011 Michigan

True. I'd be willing/mildly excited to try it, but wouldn't go to great lengths for it. Honestly it wasn't even on my hit list when I was planning on stopping by after work.

2. Mattmc1973

Mattmc1973 Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Michigan

I have to admit I'm mildly disappointed. I took the day off, and was planning on spending a LOT of money that day after I saw the initial list.

I mean, here was the initial list of barrel-aged/rare heavy hitters:

BB 4D
    BBBW
    Raspberry Eisbock
    BB Solar Eclipse
    BA Nine
    BB Banana French Toast

That list is now:

BB 4D
    BB Solar Eclipse

Granted, this saves me a lot of money, but I was wanting to grab some of all of those things. I'll still have a great time, this just makes the second year in a row I'm underwhelmed by the offerings after years of amazing lists.

raymo55 likes this.
  3. chrisbokmuller

chrisbokmuller Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2011 Michigan

It's in the events listing, not on the front page.

4. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 New York
    Trader

wow, these limits don't bode well for anything kuhnhenn from this release hitting NY distro soon.

5. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (1,097) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan

Seeing I wasn't planning on buying bottles for myself, I will enjoy the less people from less bottles released. Should be interesting.

JohnB87 and northernbrews like this.
  6. buzze40

buzze40 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2010 Illinois

And no need to show up early really. with those kinda limits they wont run out of anything for quite a while.....

raymo55 likes this.
  7. buzze40

buzze40 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2010 Illinois

yeah, thx. found it. Dont like it, but I found it.

8. jegross2

jegross2 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois

Is it me, or is there like BB4d and nothing being released lol. Sure, ill take an american stout too, but, no Rasp eisbock, no french toast, no BBBW, no RIS, no food, 1 bottle limits.....

9. mike409

mike409 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan

cool don't come then.

abraxel, Bay01, dblab33 and 3 others like this.
  10. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 New York
    Trader

far from the area and can't come...but wouldn't i love to read that the release was mellow and the list was a total fake and rasp eis, bbbw, etc was released and there were no limits and since everyone stayed home, distro gets great stuff too!!!!!!!

Theeabyss likes this.
  11. mike409

mike409 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan

I am pretty sure you will be able to go back Sunday and buy more BB4D

FEUO and Theeabyss like this.
  12. RyanMM

RyanMM Crusader (403) Mar 12, 2009 Michigan

Wait, the solar that came out at the 2010 Solstice was 2009 Solar? You sure?

13. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Pretty sure, I don't have any bottles to check it out though.

14. jegross2

jegross2 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois

I'm not

15. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2005 New York

I mean, there are bottles of 2010 Solar Eclipse....but that's not to say that Kuhnhenn didn't just slap a new label on the same batch just for that particular Solstice release.

[​IMG]

RyanMM likes this.
  16. steebo777

That's kind of what I was thinking.

17. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (1,097) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan

It is possible, but generally when they sell previous years at bottle releases they tend to label them as such.

18. myxmastrmike

myxmastrmike Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Michigan

Here's a pic of my bottle of Solar Eclipse from Summer Solstice 2010
    http://i.imgur.com/ipamC.jpg
    I swear the description I remember reading at the time said that it was aged in a bourbon barrel, and the flavor kind of reflected that... But, with nothing being on the bottle about barrel ageing, and them specifically saying that this bottle release IS barrel aged, I will NEVER be so happy to be mistaken lol!

The 2010 Solar Eclipse IMO is AMAZING and bar none the best big ABV imperial stout i've ever had (by leaps and bounds)
    I only bought 4 bottles when I got it, and after spending a good 2-3hrs slowly enjoying it that evening, I've been kicking myself for not buying more when I had the chance.
    I rationed my remaining 3 but, it's been a little over a year since my last bottle was enjoyed.

Now, since 2010 was the last successful batch, One can assume that this release is the amazing 2010 version that I know and love, that they stuck in a bourbon barrel, which will only further add to the glory lol!

19. myxmastrmike

myxmastrmike Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2009 Michigan

Also, Like said above, when they sell a previous years brew again later on, I've always known them to still have that years label on the bottle.
    It would be pretty hard (and take a LONG time) to go thru and remove all the 2009 labels just to stick 2010 labels on.

20. steebo777

I thought they just used a 2009 keg and sold it at the 2010 Summer Solstice (which they definitely have done before). As I said above though, I could definitely be wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.