Jack's Abby Brewery

Discussion in 'New England' started by RichD, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

You missed out on Kiwi...this can hold a candle to some of the VT Ipas.

2. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

there's room even in my very selective drinking for heady / lawson's / HF as well as more widely available, better malt-backboned hoponius. plus standouts like kiwi rising (which i see now i forgot to review... my notes called it the GUBNA of new zealand hop beers; all funk, not much fruit--but great), etc.

3. WickedGoodBBQ

WickedGoodBBQ Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Massachusetts

I held a growler of Framinghammer for two weeks and the carbonation was perfect. Got a growler of Ba Saxonator in the Fridge with plans to consume on super bowl Sunday. I just tighten up the cap as much as possible and keep my fingers crossed.

4. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

Closed I assume? I was just talking about open, I rarely ever buy growlers but I was hoping for more than a day or two before it was completely flat.

5. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

Well consider this:
    a Lawson's IPA is ~$8/22oz
    HF is $15-18/67.6oz
    hoponious is ~$10/64oz

Personally, as a Vermonter, I'd love having a quality, lower cost, lower ABV option like JA available in bottles.

franklinn, jacksback, ICCULIS and 3 others like this.
  6. WickedGoodBBQ

WickedGoodBBQ Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Massachusetts

Right closed. When I am looking to drink the rest of a growler the next day I close tight and give it a good shake. It seems to me that releasing some carbonation into the empty space of the growler keeps it fresher. I do the same thing with 1/2 full bombers using a wine cork.

7. Jnorton00

Good tip, ill try that next time.

8. geocool

geocool Savant (1,209) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

Last year I kept a bottle of BA Framinghammer for a good 4-5 months before opening it, and it was still carbonated, not stale, and delicious. I do think the growlers and free samples from Jack's Abby's tasting room tend to be a little undercarbonated. I think they turn down the CO2 pressure to aid in doing proper growler fills, but maybe they leave it that way all afternoon or maybe even all day. And with any growler, you should drink it all the day you open it or else expect that it will get flat and stale very very quickly. All this adds up to me really preferring bottles over growlers.

Pahn likes this.
  9. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I have noticed the staying power of unopened JA growlers being very good - they CO2 purge them before they fill, which is better than a topfill, even if it's not counter-pressure. But yeah, a growler going flat after you open it is just par for the course.

I wouldn't shake it, because once you close it, the oxygen is already there (the headspace isn't "empty", it's filled with air, which is nitrogen/oxygen/etc.), and I have no interest in getting it into solution in the beer any faster than it would have already. Releasing some CO2 into the headspace will only force O2 into the beer.

Unless you have some way to replace the oxygen in the headspace with CO2 before you close it (if you have a CO2 tank for a home keg and a good regulator, I bet you could do your own CO2 purge of the growler headspace), it's going to oxidize pretty fast, and that's just that.

10. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Pooh-Bah (1,837) Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

they bottled that stuff?

11. geocool

D'OH, I meant growler. I did use the word "growler" four times in that post, I guess it should have been five.

chinabeergeek likes this.
  12. jomobono

jomobono Savant (1,114) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

And they announced today they are doing a collaboration with Lawson's.

13. Jnorton00

Chooo Chooo!

jbertsch, jomobono and commis like this.
  14. Auror

Auror Pooh-Bah (1,641) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

Hoping for a killer DIPL out of the collab. Were there any other announcements? I would have bet on New Hampshire draft expansion for sure.

15. geocool

I don't want them to expand distribution, at least until they can keep Hoponius Union on shelf in MA a majority of the time. They're in my state right now, mine, mine, mine!

16. jomobono

jomobono Savant (1,114) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

It is going to be released in May, brewed at Jack's Abby, available in Mass and Vermont. It will use lager yeast and maple syrup. That's all the info I got. They are also doing a collaboration with DC Brau for the ACBF.

RichD likes this.
  17. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

But I want a Kiwi collab...hopefully this one goes well so we can see a collab next Nov/Dec called double Kiwi

Then I would be a really happy camper.

18. dfecteau

dfecteau Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2009 Massachusetts

Per last nights Podcast, Jack said that as of right now, they are not going to expand distro. They are going to stay in the Mass market for right now.

19. CLively

CLively Devotee (309) Feb 8, 2011 Maine

Everything I've had from these guys so far has been excellent.

tehzachatak and Jnorton00 like this.
  20. Jnorton00

Praise from Caesar!

CLively and RKing44 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.