Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest cometh. Limited tickets left for Friday, February 5th in Boston.

Buy yours now →
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Jack's Abby Brewery

Discussion in 'New England' started by RichD, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Man, that podcast is 54 minutes long! Thanks for watching it for me and posting the summary.
  2. jomobono

jomobono Savant (435) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012 Verified

It's good commute entertainment.
  3. RichD

RichD Champion (925) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012 Verified

I visited the brewery yesterday and they had the battle of the barrels going on. They barrel aged Smoke and Dagger in different barrels. All were great in my opinion. I left with 1 growler but I should've gotten 2. If anyone from the northern RI area/Mass line is planning on going today, could you grab me a growler of the "Trail Mix?" You will be compensated for the full price and maybe an empty JA growler if you desire. Please message if you're planning on going and you meet the requirements listed above. Cheers!
  4. Visited last Friday. Did the nickel-tour with one of the brothers (tour on request was what we were told) and sampled their fine lagers. Took home a coupla growlers, the Jabby Brau and Hoponius. $9-10, more for the high-octane offerings. Small shiny brewery getting into barrel-aging. They've got a good niche I think. And they're good at what they do.
    KendallKid likes this.
  5. My google search regarding growler prices at Jack's Abby resurrected this thread. Anyone know what the price range is on growlers at JA these days? Also, is there a cost for the growler itself? I would imagine there is. I won't be brining any growlers of my own.

6. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Advocate (570) Massachusetts Jun 5, 2014 Verified

Everything is priced by the beer/quantity. That includes the tastings, pints or growlers. So BA Framinghamer and variants are not the same price as Hop Union or the Session Rye or others. There seems to be about 3-4 tiers of pricing. It's all on a chalk board when you get there.
  7. JacksAbbyBrewing

JacksAbbyBrewing Savant (345) Massachusetts Jul 19, 2011 Verified

There is a $3 returnable deposit on our growlers. Current growler prices range from $6 for Framingham Lager and $16 for Barrel Aged Maibock.
    RBCORCORAN, ChrisMyhre and Providence like this.
  8. Thanks for the excellent info!
  9. anyone been by and know if there is any PBJ framinghammer left?
  10. Per their website, there are bottles left.
  11. Patbrown2

Patbrown2 Savant (295) Connecticut Nov 27, 2013

Jack's Abby just into SW CT for 1st time, I believe, so I had to try. LOVE the Hop Union. Can't wait to try the others
  12. One last question before I come up to visit....how long do the growlers typically keep if left unopened. I was planning on just grabbing some stuff to drink this weekend, but then I remembered I have my fantasy football draft next Friday (8/29), a full eight days after my visit. I'd love to have some Jack's Abby to share with my friends, but I wouldn't want to serve an under-carbonated version of your wonderful brew.
  13. Psychmusic

Psychmusic Savant (490) Rhode Island Jun 22, 2012 Verified

I've held on for 12-14 days before without any really noticeable change, I'd say you'll be fine for 8
    Providence likes this.
  14. Cool, thanks!

Anyone else with any JA growler shelf-life experiences?
  15. They do a good job with the fill. Cold, sanitized growlers, CO2 purge, bottom fill, cap on foam. You'll be fine for 8 days if you keep it cold and sealed until then.
    Providence likes this.
  16. Awesome. I was wondering if they did the bottom fill thing. I heard that makes a big difference.

I appreciate the info, thanks again.
  17. I left some growlers for over a week and a half before and they were perfectly fine when i got around to opening them.
    Providence likes this.
  18. I was at Jack's Abby last night. What a superb place it is. My friend and I enjoyed some of the offerings that we can't buy in sixers at Yankee in Attleboro. We both adored the Barrel Aged Maibock. I am usually not that into BA stuff, but this beer was something special. Lots of vanilla tones and just as you think the bourbon taste is going to over power, it stops, subdues, and the refreshing taste of the maibock steps through. An awesome beer that obviously took a lot of craftsmanship.

It was fun chatting with some of the folks that work there. Thanks again for a great time!
    LeRose and kevdemers like this.
  19. MarkJC1018

MarkJC1018 Savant (450) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2009 Verified

@JacksAbbyBrewing: Are the BA Framinghammer variants still available at the brewery (Vanilla, Coffee, Cocoa-Nut and/or PB&J)? Thanks!
  20. JacksAbbyBrewing

They are all still available at the moment but we are close to running out. Should be around 1-2 more weeks.
    richobrien likes this.
  21. MarkJC1018

MarkJC1018 Savant (450) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2009 Verified

Thank you!
  22. MistyS

MistyS Aficionado (165) Massachusetts Dec 4, 2013 Verified

I was totally bummed, took a ride over on Sunday without checking hours first. Closed. D'oh!

On a neighborhood topic, when I was leaving the street there was a little old cocker spaniel running down the road with no collar/leash. I'm a big dog person (carry treats and leash with me in my car in case i come across lost dogs). Wasn't able to call it or catch it and almost saw it get hit by a car so i called the cops. I knocked on one of the doors of the white house on the corner to see if it was their dog and got a "GO THE F AWAY" yelled at me through the window. So, that was fun.
  23. NAPO

NAPO Savant (445) Massachusetts Jan 7, 2014 Verified

That part of Framingham is no bueno.

Anyways, Cranberry BA Berliner Lager came out today. Sounds delicious.
  24. Is Framinghammer year round or is it seasonal? If seasonal, when does it hit the markets?

Lastly, do you bottle any of the BA Framinghammer for distro in CT?
  25. Delicious Indeed

MistyS, followerofmen and NAPO like this.
  26. What's your point?
    AlcahueteJ likes this.
  27. a74gent

a74gent Savant (440) Massachusetts Mar 16, 2010 Verified

This certainly isn't anything that needs to be discussed on this thread, but his factual description of an event after visiting JA didn't have the slightest bit of judgment or commentary. I'm not sure why you're getting your feathers ruffled.
    MistyS likes this.
  28. MattOC

MattOC Savant (440) Massachusetts Jan 13, 2013 Verified

@Providence why did you remove the rest of your post?
  29. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (650) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011 Verified

That is very pretty. The cherry version was not as red-hued as this appears. I'm hopeful I can talk "us" into a road trip this Saturday and get me some...of this beer, I mean.

Hey, now...wait a second...I work for a cranberry company...hmmm...can I sell it as market research, so I can leave now???
  30. Pretty sure this isn't the same as the 'Cherry Version' you're referencing... That was the Berliner BRAUN aged with Cherries, and this is their Berliner WEISSE aged with Cranberries. I would expect the Berliner Weisse with cherries (coming in next 1-2 weeks I think) to be lighter in color as well.
    LeRose likes this.
  31. JacksAbbyBrewing

The cherry version that we released before was based off our Berliner Braun which was a darker beer. The beers we are releasing the next few weeks are barrel aged versions of our Berliner Weisse. The lighter base allowed it to pick up the colors.

Next week we are releasing the Cherry version. 10/29 will be the plum version. 11/5 we are releasing a blend of all three.
    Pahn, Circleo12 and LeRose like this.
  32. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (650) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011 Verified

Right...my mistake with the similar names. Wasn't thinking. Thanks for catching that @WesFoxlove (and @JacksAbbyBrewing)

So these versions will all be growler only, correct? Any limits? Number of fellow beer fans/home brewers here in the labs are quite interested in the cranberry variant, but I don't think we can all make the trip. I did put the word out though :)

Love to try them all, but I suspect if I wait until the blend is available, the cran will be long gone.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  33. JacksAbbyBrewing

They are all 32oz growler only and each will only be available for one week. If there is any left over of a variant it will be saved for events in the future.
  34. I recognized I was being emotional and reactive. I wanted some clarification of why the story was relayed before I responded in such a way.
  35. No judgment in that comment? Really? I interpreted it differently, which is why I asked my question. But you are right, there is no need to discuss this here.
  36. MattOC

MattOC Savant (440) Massachusetts Jan 13, 2013 Verified

@Providence I got it. I respect the passion even though it was premature.
  37. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (635) Maine May 1, 2011

I just read about Lager Ness Monster, a 15% abv Imperial Baltic Porter aging in bourbon barrels since spring and releasing (brewery only) in November. Sounds like a must have!
    Pahn likes this.
  38. GonzoHomebrewer

GonzoHomebrewer Savant (495) Massachusetts Sep 15, 2012 Verified

Double concoction mash on dat lager ness beast for all the brew geeks out there, cant wait to try it myself, though i must admit im eagerly awaiting an iced version, maybe we can get jack and the guys to fly out to de struise and make a monster ice blend of black albert and framinghammer? @JacksAbbyBrewing please?
    BlueRogue and Pahn like this.
  39. Pahn

Pahn Champion (840) New York Dec 2, 2009 Verified

holy shit @ that.
    BlueRogue likes this.
  40. JacksAbbyBrewing

We just finalized dates for our next few releases.

LeRose, AirBob, Auror and 3 others like this.