Infected Flat 12 Pogues Run Porter...

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by cadizkyguy, Sep 9, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2008 Kentucky

Just wondering if anyone else has picked up a six pack of Flat 12's porter, only to find the beer tasting very sour and bitter and I'm thinking it's possibly an infected batch.. Strange, though, because the first bottle of the six was wonderful, but then I packed the remaining five in ice for a six hour drive, the ice wound up melting,leaving the bottles submerged in ice water, cold still, but the next night I opened three and all were foam bombs and drainpours. Just wondering if Flat 12, like with some other breweries, namely Short's, has experienced bad batches. I had this beer in growler last summer and it tasted nowhere like the three I drainpoured.

2. denimdemon

denimdemon Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2009 Indiana

I'm a fan of this beer but yeah, picked up a six to send as extras and had a couple left over. My trading partner and I both experienced the "green apple" off flavor. I'm guessing they rushed the batch and didn't let it ferment long enough or it was just a bottling problem/being new to it, having the new bottling line. Hopefully the problem is isolated to this one batch. I hated for my trading partner's first Flat12 experience to be negative.

3. aasher

aasher Grand Pooh-Bah (4,471) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Which bottle date?

4. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 Indiana

Be curious as to the date as well. I haven't heard any issues from customers on anything like that but its entirely possible. Hope it was just bottle variation and not a whole batch

jtosh likes this.
  5. rdailey76

rdailey76 Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2003 Indiana

I can't speak to the bottle date, but I definitely had a six pack that was way too over carbonated for my tastes. I was picking up a bit of an off flavor, but I don't know if it was acetaldehyde or not, but there was definitely something amiss. I bought it at the Crown Liquors off of 116th St in Downtown Fishers and it was probably 4-6 weeks ago or so.

6. Flat12Weaver

Flat12Weaver Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2011 Indiana

Clarification: we are aware of and are monitoring for quality control issues with this first batch of Pogue's Run bottles. We have noted issues in a few select bottles, but it doesn't seem to have affected the entire batch. (We haven't seen any signs that make us think it is an infection)

We appreciate your input on this thread. Please contact bob.weaver@flat12werks.com if you are unsatisfied in any way. We thank you for your continued support.

brew3crew and jtosh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.