Ice Harbor brews lager in honor of hydro races

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by woemad, Jul 24, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woemad

woemad Grand Pooh-Bah (5,145) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Perhaps of interest to eastern/central Washington BAs.

This weekend is the 50th running of the unlimited hydroplane race known through the years as the Atomic Cup, Columbia Cup, and, currently, the Gold Cup, part of a group of festivities in the summer known as the Water Follies. The sport isn't doing particularly well these days, but the Tri-Cities race has been hugely popular, with many thousands crammed along the shores of the Columbia to watch.

Ice Harbor has brewed a Vienna Lager to commemorate the 50th running, called Atomic Gold Lager.

Here's some info:
    http://www.khq.com/story/29392149/tri-cities-water-follies-commemorative-wines-beer

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Atomic-Gold-Lager/1456017321379944

About the race itself: http://www.waterfollies.com/

2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ya know, I've wondered why one of the Seattle breweries has never brewed a Seafair beer. Seems like if the Seafair Pirates teamed up with a brewery, with x% of proceeds going to the Pirates charity of choice, why a ton of it wouldn't be sold in late July-early August.

sharpski and woemad like this.
  3. ekesz13

ekesz13 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2015 North Carolina

Original TC guy here, will be back in the Tri next week and will have to try it.

woemad likes this.
  4. woemad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's in 22oz bombers, available only at Ice Harbor's locations. I paid $3.99 for one at the brewpub the weekend before last (haven't gotten around to drinking it yet).

BBThunderbolt and ekesz13 like this.
  5. ekesz13

Wonder if there are any other TC Advocates on here? I am there a lot and have a handful of places I like to go: White Bluffs, Fox and Bear, McKays, Barleys. But no good bottle shops, only one I knew of in W. Richland closed down.

woemad likes this.
  6. woemad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm in Spokane (and have been since the mid-90s) but I get down there frequently to visit family. Don't know McKay's or Barley's, and Fox & Bear usually opens later than I tend to be passing by, so I've never been there. There's two Mid-Columbia Wine & Spirits (Kennewick and Richland) that are kind of like a local attempt at Total Wine with a pretty decent selection.

ekesz13 likes this.
  7. woemad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

With all the beer made in Seattle, that does seem like a no-brainer. Hell, it took a Super Bowl win for anyone to do a Seahawk themed beer, so maybe the Seattle brewers are just too cool for that.:rolling_eyes:

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  8. ekesz13

Woemad, love the avatar! Yeah, I have hit Mid-Columbia a few times, only thing I don't like is they don't do singles of everything. It is hard enough to bring stuff back, having to bring a six pack of something just to try it is a pain. I did just stop by there on my way back to buy a shipper box which worked fantastic. Ended up with 12 bombers in the box and a slew of cans and 375ml bottles in my luggage, mostly all from Portland area though.

woemad likes this.
  9. jmbond

jmbond Initiate (141) Jul 15, 2015 Washington

I'm proud to be new to the forum and this group in general, but since the closure of the place in W. Richland, I've been subjected to frequent visits to the Growler Guys simply to get new offerings. Sad, but true. Pleased to hear about Ice Harbor's release. I think I'll head down there and see what's left.

ekesz13 likes this.
  10. ekesz13

Welcome! I talked to the bartender at Barley's brewhub in Kennewick one night. A young lady who knew her beer. She was the manager or asst. manager at the W. Richland bottle shop before it closed. She said Growler Guys put a big dent in their business. Can be a tough market for sure.

11. woemad

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think the location had as much to do as Growler Guys. I grew up in the Tri-Cities, but have been to W. Richland maybe 3-4 times, tops. Not exactly a hotbed of, well, anything.

ekesz13 likes this.
  12. ekesz13

You have a good point. I grew up in the Tri-Cities and didn't make it to West that often. Much more than 3-4 times, but it was still a rarity. I do love Brickhouse pizza out there now, but it is BARELY in West.

woemad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.