How much beer is unhealthy?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RochefortChris, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Treyliff

Treyliff Grand Pooh-Bah (4,711) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A beer a day keeps the doctors away.

twb0392, jzlyo, BBAVUSO21 and 2 others like this.
  2. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Pooh-Bah (2,421) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If your consumption is something that you are genuinely concerned about, then you are drinking too much.

DemoniChris, jzlyo, j47paco and 7 others like this.
  3. Dope

Dope Pooh-Bah (2,751) Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Werd.

Dope

ChrisChagnon likes this.
  4. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

I was referring to the myth of dehydration which is often confused with thirst.Of course, if you're thirsty that's a sign that your body is ready for more fluid (though it's an early warning message like saying your gas tank is under half full) , it's when people drink in anticipation of needing it when they don't that the problems begin.

5. lovethebelgians

lovethebelgians Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 Illinois

does any body else get the bloated gut after a couple as well? Got any remedies or reccomendations to avoid this?

6. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

Burp.

7. azorie

azorie Pooh-Bah (2,409) Mar 18, 2006 Florida
    Pooh-Bah

I think its common sense. Are you drinking until you pass out? Do you think you are drinking too much? How do you feel about that? ok where do I send the shrink bill too? :grinning: Since you say your very conscientious about your drinking, why even ask us?

WE drink beer. Heck I drink lots of beer. Never had an issue as long as I was NOT driving. Only you know how much is too much. If you got a headache after ever time you drank, well either you drank too much or the lines at the bar need cleaning.

For some 1 beer is too many, for me I can drink many many beers...

cheers!

8. Leepa_Time

Leepa_Time Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2013 Maryland

make sure you don't have a gluten sensitivity. and burp.

9. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin
    Deactivated

23 a day is to much anything under that and you are golden:slight_smile: Of course I say this as a owner of a Landscape company and not a Doctor.... Much like most people commenting who most likely have no idea about your specific situation, body type, other diet, risk factors and so on....

With that said a max of three or four, and most the time one or two with days off in between is way below the line of "problem drinker" IMO.

Fun Fact that I am sure most people on here have no idea about... Only under 10 percent of extremely heavy drinkers ever actually develop Liver Failure... When people start talking about thinking they are going to develop it when they have a couple beers a night, yet the old guy drinking a 1.75 of vodka a day and smoking 5 packs of reds is still kicking it at 79.... It is all chance, anything CAN be bad for you... Just do not go overboard and you will be fine!

Cheers

Nick

LordRogan likes this.
  10. Drucifer

Drucifer Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Illinois

Technically, the more alcohol you consume, the better it is for your heart!

However, drinking too much beer can lead to other nasty things such as cirrhosis of the liver, alcoholism, and obesity (which ironically can lead to heart problems!).

Therefore, drink up! (but in moderation... :stuck_out_tongue:)

MRsojourner likes this.
  11. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

This line of thinking is actually a bit dangerous. Having a beer or a glass of wine a day is good for your heart, but it's not necessarily good for your waistline or your liver. In fact, a good friend of mine (who happens to be a Harvard-educated physician) told me that drinking every day is especially bad for your in terms of gaining weight, as alcohol of any kind in your system will slow down your metabolism for nearly 24 hours. He said if you want to 4 drinks in 4 days, it's much healthier to drink 2 beers on 2 of the days and drink 0 beers on the other two days than to drink one beer a day for 4 days.

luwak likes this.
  12. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2009 New York

Nobody has mentioned throwing up. If you feel like you have to vomit then you've probably had too much.

LordRogan likes this.
  13. ChrisChagnon

ChrisChagnon Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 Connecticut
    Deactivated

Moderate alcohol consumption is assocoiated with an abundance of health benefits. The long-term effect on insulin sensitivity and body weight (via insulin or decreased appetite) may be of particular interest to us.

* The thermic effect of alcohol is high and the real caloric value is not 7.1 kcal: it's ~5.6 kcal. However, it's still easy to overconsume calories by drinking. Calorie for calorie, the short-term effect of alcohol on satiety is low. Adding to this, intoxication may also encourage overeating by disinhibition of dietary restraint.

* The negative effects of alcohol on testosterone and recovery has been grossly exaggerated by the fitness mainstream. Excluding very high acute alcohol consumption, or prolonged and daily consumption, the effect is non-significant and unlikely to affect muscle gains or training adaptations negatively.

* Alcohol is converted to acetate by the liver. The oxidation of acetate takes precedence over other nutrients and is oxidized to carbon dioxide and water. However, despite being a potent inhibitor of lipolysis, alcohol/acetate alonecannot cause fat gain by itself. It's all the junk people eat in conjunction with alcohol intake that causes fat gain.

14. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

<1 is unhealthy.

But really, IMO it's anytime you're dependent on it, or if it is interfering with health or life. If nobody could say anything bad about your drinking, that's a good sign.
    Any amount daily is a habit, not an inherently bad one, but the line between healthy and harmful is different for everyone

15. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

[​IMG]
    That is unhealthy and I forgot the growlers...

parksed24, MattyG85 and Roguer like this.
  16. CJRubes

CJRubes Zealot (660) Jul 18, 2013 Massachusetts

Everything in moderation is my belief. A beer or two after work or with dinner never hurt anyone and is completely fine IMO. I'm not ashamed to say I drink beer during the week, though not everyday. I try to limit myself to 1 or 2 during the week, though on Friday nights and the weekend I'll have a few more...

Speaking of which I'm enjoying one right now while watching the Red Sox game.:slight_smile:

17. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

Whatever amount I had in Reno last weekend = too much.

LordRogan and 5thOhio like this.
  18. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

I eat healthy (80% of the time), workout regularly, and try to schedule my drinking so that it doesn't interfere with work and social obligations. It's not terribly difficult. Of course we've all gone in to work with a raging hangover from time-to-time, just don't make it a habit.

Jsteez likes this.
  19. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Pundit (855) Feb 25, 2013 California

I have a great love for great food, wine, and beer.........and for a number of years I was packing on the pounds. Over the last 2 years I almost have my BMI back to normal, and I did it this way:
    -lots of cardio, 5 times a week plus a less strenuous bike ride on the weekend. Weights are good to keep your heart rate up while you switch between cardio machines
    -cut out crap food like junk fast food and soda

That's all it took. I drink as much beer and wine as ever, but I'm also healthier than ever (according to my blood numbers, endurance, and weights). And I just turned 40. As others have said doing similar things, it's not that difficult, and you will be very glad you did, plus you will feel better.

gueuzedreg, Dmbphoenix and GetTheYayo like this.
  20. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Pundit (855) Feb 25, 2013 California

Sometimes. For me it's simply been carbonation filling up my stomach that get's trapped if I'm sitting or reclined. Just stand up and walk around a few minutes - it all comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.