"Hopslam Mania" Nearly Ruins a Good Night Out...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jpro, Feb 5, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Wrong moral to story.

2. NoLeafClover44

NoLeafClover44 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2011 Delaware

3. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

So...If that establishment recognizes that you're a regular and they truly appreciate your business, then you should have a word with the manager or owner.

You should have asked the "Hopslammers" if they were going to (insert bar name across town here) for the tapping of (insert name of beer way better than Hopslam here) in 10 minutes.

jmw likes this.
  4. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

Meh. I can't get too bent-out-of-shape about a situation like this.

I mean, it was a bar, wasn't it? I wouln't necessarily expect peace & quiet, and the occasional obnoxious drunk group has been known to frequent them. Romantic restaurant...different story.

Respect beer? I don't think my liver is gonna fall for that line.

mdillon86 and ant880 like this.
  5. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Really surprised at the backlash toward the OP on this one. Sure, everybody's got the expectation of having their own brand of good time on a given night, but this sounds kind of nightmarish to me. I feel for you jpro. Only thing I can think to suggest is to leave the establishment in order to keep from witnessing it, and maybe mentioning to your 'keeper or the owner (in a non-accusatory way) that the crowd had turned away from your liking. Maybe a comment like that from a regular would encourage them to handle the situation differently in future.

KFBR392 likes this.
  6. ant880

ant880 Savant (1,179) Nov 7, 2010 New York
    Trader

Drunks didnt used to do dumb drunk things at bars?

It seems to me that this exact type of thing has been occuring since bars came into existence..the only difference in this example is the particular alcohol being consumed. Is it possible that this was just a group of d'bags getting bombed on HopSlam that, had HopSlam not been available, would have just been getting sloppy by drinking something else? I dont buy into the fact that this is some indictment of where craft beer is heading. It just sounds to me like a typical group of drunk a-holes playing out a scene that has occured countless times

JulianB, BMitch and checktherhyme like this.
  7. benjaminahudson

benjaminahudson Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2012 North Carolina

Maybe the regular patrons should've tried harder...

8. Wolfpack2005

Wolfpack2005 Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2010 North Carolina

That I'm not going to hop around from store to store chasing it or call around to track it down (like I did in years past). One less person geeking out about it.

9. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

jmw: people just need to relax about what other people do with their time. Sometimes O'briens, a pub here - is dead. Other times they do a 2 week advance notice PtY release. Whether the bar is packed, dead, noisy, quiet - I have no problem with other people enjoying their life. All too often we get our panties in a bunch and try and "change" what other people do - or block them from having their breed of fun - instead of just minding our business and living/let live. Waah - the bar was noisy.

10. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Hear, hear! Such debauchery does not bode well for monocles.

11. Nectar

Nectar Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 New Jersey

Hate overly hyped beer on tap. Im VERY in control of how much I drink and have never driven drunk. I just hate when I see someone sitting at the local bar drinking 3-4 12oz pours of BCBS or KBS when ive seen it on tap there then driving home.

12. evilc

If you think they are drunk then call 911. At this point, minding your own business isn't the rule as they are potentially harming/killing others.

nanobrew likes this.
  13. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,509) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wait...I did what????

14. Nectar

Nectar Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 New Jersey

I agree but my point is, how many times does this happen, especially with rare releases? People try to hoard 2 extra pours then they really should be drinking inside their bloodstream just because its "rare".

15. vivasbeer

vivasbeer Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2012 Michigan

You don't know?

16. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,509) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I drank a Coors once...only once...honest...

vivasbeer likes this.
  17. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota

If this bar had any common sense they wouldn't serve "piss drunk" people.

18. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Pooh-Bah (2,492) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Can we consider that a Hopslam flash :grimacing: mob?

Douberd likes this.
  19. teal

teal Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

I'm at a loss to see where in the OP's story that explains how he and his party were prevented from ordering a Hopslam themselves while this Caligula style orgy of broseph behavior was going on.

Friday I stopped by my craft beer bar for a couple of Old Rasputins. They were out. Seems like the jerks drank it all at the beer tasting event on Wednesday. I was pissed till I remembered I was one of those jerks.

I wasn't angry about it. Probably because they were putting Bigfoot on tap...

Just me tho....

ant880, mdillon86, JulianB and 3 others like this.
  20. evilc

Sounds awesome. Take pics if you see one!

bozodogbreath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.