Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Hops combinations

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Tebuken, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Tebuken

Tebuken Savant (375) Argentina Jun 6, 2009

So i would like to hear your experiences regarding hop combinations.I have noticed Cascade + EKG is not a good combination.I have brewed a few beers using this combination with poor results.

Best regards
  2. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (895) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member Verified

I think it's dependent on the style, but:

Amarillo and Citra, are pretty much a match made in heaven. Simcoe mingles with them just as smooth. My favorite combo, period.

Cascade and Centennial are really nice together. Columbus obviously rolls with these 2 guys pretty well, too.

Nugget and Willamette are awesome together as well for darker beers that don't need a million ibus.
    barfdiggs likes this.
  3. hiphopj5

hiphopj5 Savant (415) Colorado Jan 29, 2010

I recently brewed an IPA with Simcoe, Centennial, and Columbus that came out really nice.
  4. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (305) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Since I like my APA's to have a little earthy and spicy to go with the citrus I like EKG, Amarillo and Willamette. Weird combo but it is awesome- I also like EKG, Cascade and Willamette. So it is in line with that the OP doesn't like!

For IPA's, a whole bunch:
    Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo- a favorite
    Columbus, Centenntial- dank and resinous hop flavor
    Millenium and Galaxy- passionfruit city- with a nice herbal undertone
    Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo and Cascade- a whole mess of citrus and tropical fruits with a super dank finish
    and of course Chinook, Centennial and Cascade- SN Favorite as used in Celebration

I rarely use any of these 1:1- so it depends upon which hop I chose to play the dominant part of the hop profile.
    jivex5k likes this.
  5. Tebuken

"I also like EKG, Cascade and Willamette. So it is in line with that the OP doesn't like!"

I love the Combination of Fuggles and EKG,but as i stated before i don´t like Cascades + EKG, maybe our argentine Cascades differ to your US ones

6. Yes, Argentine Cascades is different than US Cascades:

“Argentine Cascade Hop Pellets

These are NOT Cascades! Through translation the name is the same but they are not to be used as an alternative for US Cascade. That being said, these are perfectly fine aroma hops. What we know so far is they are versatile but more of an aroma or finishing hop and can be adequately substituted for Tettnang or Spalt. •3.2% alpha acid”

jlpred55 and Tebuken like this.
  7. I personally like Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade together in an IPA.
    JrGtr likes this.
  8. leedorham

leedorham Champion (845) Washington Apr 27, 2006

To be quite honest, I've yet to brew a beer where I thought the hop combination was a fault. The only way I think hops don't go well together is when one variety is overpowering and masks any character contributed by the other varieties.

I'm interested to hear about situations where homebrewers feel otherwise, but am also interested to hear how exactly you pinned those faults on the hop combination.
  9. I reckon my favorite is Simcoe, Chinook, and Centennial.

Orange juice, pine, spice, and a great brightness without being too fruity.
    2ellas likes this.
  10. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (895) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member Verified

My all time favorite is Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra. Just a bright tasting, hop bomb that keeps it a nice clean fruity hop flavor and aroma.

I love Amarillo though. I think it's probably the best tasting in any pales, period. I have a single hop Amarillo on tap at the house right now that is just epic good. It's so bright and juicy, I almost giggled like a little girl when I pulled my first glass.

I might do amarillo and cascade or chinook next. I like the earthy spice in there, but I'm not huge on the pine elements in my IPAs. Enough to balance, not enough to notice.
    jmich24 likes this.
  11. jthahn

jthahn Aficionado (225) Indiana Jun 1, 2009

i'm going way against the grain here looking at the previous posts. i don't like simcoe...at least not in any noticeable quantities. so i say simcoe and anything is a bad combination.
    i'm with everyone else on the amarillo/citra combo.
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  12. jmich24

jmich24 Advocate (535) Michigan Jan 28, 2010 Verified

I just did a Columbus/Simcoe "session ipa" that is a dank bomb @ only 4% ABV. Big fan of this combonation when Im in the mood for dank rather than citrus. As far a citrus/tropical goes, I really like to combination of Cascade/Citra and Citra/Amarillo.

I'm really looking forward to my next combo of wet hops off the bine. Centennial/Cascade/Zues/Chinook I am using my grain bill of Daisy Cutter that I am trying to dial in. I think the grassiness of the wet hops will get me close to Daisy Cutter even though the hop combo is all wrong.
  13. Tebuken

I really don´t know what happen when these hops are combined.It seems like there might be a weird reaction where hop flavor goes too much citrusy and overpower the malt flavor regardless IBUs added.
  14. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (400) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I often go with a Citra/Nugget combo.
  15. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Poobah (1,120) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010 Verified

This is a pretty interesting topic, both from a homebrewing perspective as well as an infusion perspective (using a Randall/french press).
    Sean, I'm curious if a few years of drinking/brewing experience has changed your quoted answer at all?

I'd also love to get some additional answers from the community above what's already in the thread, especially with all the hops that didn't exist or weren't as readily available back in 2012, so I figured I'd resurrect it!
  16. DVoors

DVoors Aficionado (225) Indiana Jan 6, 2014

centennial and cascade
    simcoe and Amarillo
    citra and Amarillo
    cascade and amarillo
  17. Just made an APA with Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin.

Will see how it turns out.
  18. LehighAce06

Now we're talking! That sounds delicious.
    HokiesandBeer likes this.
  19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (690) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Just did a meh APA with mandarina and northern brewer. Mandarina comes across as a subdued cascade to me. I do enjoy citra with chinook and centennial. Borders on high art...
    LehighAce06 likes this.
  20. FWIW, I have also perceived Mandarina in commercially brewed beers in a similar fashion.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  21. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Savant (250) Vermont Jun 24, 2015

ipa- citra casacade Chinook Columbus ammarillo or horizon nugget cascade simco, or Columbus mosaic nugget

stouts northern brewer or goldings fuggle or willamet or brewers gold

pumpkin/fruit/burton ales tettnang perle
    LehighAce06 likes this.
  22. LehighAce06

I had never thought of it this way before, but thinking back to Mandarina beers I've had (at brewpubs mostly) that's pretty spot on.
  23. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Savant (405) Illinois Jan 5, 2015

You won't get some of the flavors that are commonly associated with the hops by running cold beer through a randall. You would get some of the aromatic qualities but not to the same extent as dry hopping. For example, Citra is a tasty tropical hop with flavors of mango, pineapple and orange. A randall would infuse some of the dank aromatic qualities of Citra and wouldn't contribute much tropical fruit flavor.
  24. LehighAce06

Interesting. I'll have to try it out a few times and get a feel for what it does accomplish, but in the meantime I'm curious what is the point (if you aren't getting those qualities).

Also interesting, I tried using a randall with hops (previously had only used fruit) for the first time a couple days ago, and learned a very valuable lesson completely unrelated to this: Don't use fucking pellets.
    SFACRKnight and premierpro like this.
  25. premierpro

premierpro Savant (350) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

Hallertau-Sazz, Tetnang, or Spalt
  26. premierpro

premierpro Savant (350) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

Last year I was at a brewery that had no hoppy beer on tap but did have Centenial cones on the bines around their patio. I ordered a Kolsch and added some cones and it was not long before the flavor and aroma came through. By the time my glass was empty there was more hop flavor then I wanted. Take care.
    SFACRKnight and LehighAce06 like this.
  27. Brew_Betty

I have a friend that likes to bust out the randall with pro kegged beer. My opinion of putting hops in a randall is it sounds like a reasonably good idea worth trying, but I haven't experienced good results. It wouldn't surprise me if good results are possible.
  28. Cadmando18

Cadmando18 Aficionado (120) Oregon Feb 14, 2015

I like Fuggle and Cascade. For IPA.
  29. Brew_Betty

Said no one ever until now.
    Cadmando18 likes this.
  30. Westyn

Westyn Advocate (540) Texas Feb 12, 2014

I'm thinking of brewing with Citra, Williamette and Nuggett (maybe Hallertau depending on nugget availability with at my store) for an IPA... Anyone ever tried that combo with good results?
  31. 1beerbaron

1beerbaron Aficionado (170) Ohio Mar 24, 2009 Verified

I did an IPA that was mostly Apollo, Columbus, and a bit of Amarillo. Dankest beer I've ever tasted or smelled. Amarillo added a nice depth to it as well. Apollo is a super clean bittering hop, but later in the process is by far the dankest hop I've come across.

So Columbus for bittering (since Apollo is clean bittering), I did probably 3:2:1 Columbus:Apollo:Amarillo for whirlpool, then 2:3 Columbus:Apollo for dry hopping. Super dank and super tasty.
  32. pweis909

pweis909 Champion (750) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005 Verified

I have had a commercial beer witness two hops, if I recall correctly, and it seemed fine. I have to say that for some reason or other, my homebrews with Kent goldings have not been stellar. I am prepared to attribute this to variability in the quality of the English hops available to the s homebrews market. Commercial breweries likely son the cream of the crop, and travel and storage may hurt a percentage of the remainder. Or I am just making up excuses for my poorly crafted beers.
    Tebuken likes this.
  33. Peter,

How would you describe your disappointment with EKG hops?

34. Tebuken

Too much citrusy flavor?
  35. pweis909

pweis909 Champion (750) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005 Verified

Minimal aroma when I open the pacakage, lack of character in the beer. I've never really loaded up a beer with them, and I am having difficulty conjuring up my memory of the hops contribution to those beers, which speaks to lack of impact as well as passage of time since I last used them. I have had better luck with fuggles, challenger, and whitbread goldings variety. Maybe what I need to do is a beer where I amp up the late contribution but when I look at English beer recipes they do not usually do this.

@Tebuken Not too much citrus. The opposite - not enough character in general.
  36. 2ellas

2ellas Advocate (565) New Hampshire Feb 20, 2014 Verified

I like centennial, mosaic and nelson sauvin. Just brewed yesterday with those three and added some galaxy for a 30 minute hopstand/whirlpool. I'm not really a citra guy at the moment though. I've been getting the "cat piss" flavor and aroma from it lately. Hoping that changes soon because it's a fairly recent issue.
  37. Peter,

I brew an English Bitter Ale every year and I load up that beer with EKG hops; a total of 4 ounces for flavor and aroma. I add once once with 10 minutes remaining in the boil, 1 ounce at the end of boil (and a 30 minute hop-stand) and 2 ounces for dry hopping (10-14 days of contact time). In that beer EKG provides a nice but subdued aroma/flavor of herbal/floral to my palate; it tastes of English beer to me.

There is no doubt to me that EKG is a non-potent hop as compared to other hops but I personally appreciate its flavors.

pweis909 likes this.
  38. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (930) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009 Verified

How early in the boil are you adding it?
  39. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (450) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006 Verified

I did an IPA last year that was Citra, Mosaic and Falconer's Flight and it came out great.
    I personally like the Simcoe / Chinook combo.