Honest proclamation from Modern Times Beer

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by sandiego67, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandiego67

sandiego67 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2008 California

WHAT WILL MAKE MODERN TIMES DIFFERENT? PT. 3

ON JANUARY 15, 2013 - 0 COMMENTS - IDEOLOGY
    Our beer will not be brewed with the finest all-natural ingredients, nor will it be made by hand. These are meaningless clichés trotted out when a brand has nothing to say.
    Let’s take it one word at a time.
    What is gained by using “finest”? Nothing is gained. It cannot possibly make a positive impression on a single shopper. And the absence of “finest” does not lead one to assume that a product is made with shit ingredients.
    “All-natural” means nothing. It’s not even a phrase that was once meaningful that now means nothing, like “local.” The entire notion that some products are natural and others aren’t is absurd. At what point does processing make an ingredient “unnatural”? There is no meaningful answer to this question. Malt is processed. Whole leaf hops are processed. Your poop is processed.
    No one makes beer “by hand.” At a production brewery, hands might be used to open and close valves or turn on and off a pump, but under no circumstances are they better than the automated version. In fact, manual process controls lead to more mistakes, which leads to less consistent beer. And I have yet to hear anyone comment on a beer’s rough-hewn, handmade quality because it tasted different than the last batch.
    We will use whichever ingredients lead to the tastiest beer and the most efficient workflow, in that order. That might mean we use the cheapest malt, or it might mean we use the floor-malted heirloom shit imported from a castle on a scenic European river. It makes no difference to me.
    It only matters that the beer taste mind-bogglingly delicious, and I will use any tool available to reach that goal: downstream hop products, enzymes, Fermcap, whatever. I could not care less about tradition.
    In my ideal brewery, everything would be automated and our beer would be brewed and packaged and shot straight into your mouth by robots. It would taste better that way, which is the only thing that matters.

ThePaleRider, MacNCheese and ZX6Chris like this.
  2. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2011 California

ISO: Beer Robot

SageO, vurt and tyrsis like this.
  3. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Pooh-Bah (1,899) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah

Cool story.

4. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ad copy which tears into the tropes of other ad copy is still advertising. But if the beer is good, I will drink it.

5. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2006 California

I fail to see the purpose of this post.

6. MrFootstones

MrFootstones Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2008 California

The Mad Fermentationist has a hand in formulating their recipes. That's the aspect of their beer that piques my interest.
    www.themadfermentationist.com

afrokaze likes this.
  7. besaunders

besaunders Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2007 California

So, is sandiego67 Jacob McKean?

8. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2011 California

It's an advertisment. You're not worthy, brah.

9. Xul

Xul Pooh-Bah (2,115) May 18, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This x100. Jacob is doing a good job of getting the word out there and keeping the name in the news, but the only reason I'm following them more than I would any other new brewery (which is not much until they're actually open) is Mike's involvement on the recipe side.

10. Levitation

Levitation Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2009 California

"our manifesto:

we don't believe in manifestos. it should just be about the beer. i shall write a long public declaration of my intentions, objectives, and opinions on the matter."

11. OldSock

OldSock Maven (1,406) Apr 3, 2005 District of Columbia

Thanks! I'm hoping to be out there for a couple months after everything is installed and approved to make sure the stuff coming out of the brewery is better than my homebrew (not to mention procuring/filling/innoculating barrels of sour beer).

Really happy with the way the beers are coming along so far. First test-batch of an IPA took 2nd of 42 last weekend at a local homebrewing competition. Citra/Amarillo Wheat and Coffee Stout are both pretty much where I want them, and the Hoppy Red/Rye and Amber IPA are really close too. Planning another batch of the session saison, and some other first-shots soon.

DrAwkward82 likes this.
  12. robL

robL Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 California

In addition to Modern Times openness and social presence, what I find intriguing is their plan to provide recipes for all their beers and encourage homebrewers to clone their beer and bring in to compare it to the original at the brewery.

I'm not a homebrewer, but if I were, I'd be seeking this place out and spreading the word based on this idea as well as Mike's involvement.

13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

We will throw any shit into a pot as long as it yields tasty beer.

14. TheBoog013

TheBoog013 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2011 California

K... Slow clap?

15. ModernTimesJacob

ModernTimesJacob Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2012 California

I think you're misunderstanding the post. I never said I don't believe in manifestos. My point was to call bullshit on a couple specific phrases that are used by craft brewers out of laziness. We can do better. We actually have things to say. We don't need to rely on these tropes.

No. I posted once about Modern Times, and then I figured if people were interested, they'd find us on their own without me having to spam these boards.

16. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2011 California

Let your beer do the talking.

17. besaunders

besaunders Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2007 California

In that case, you need to muzzle one of your buddies. :slight_smile:

18. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2005 California

None of their points are incorrect. I'll be interested in trying their beer.

domtronzero and nanobrew like this.
  19. ModernTimesJacob

ModernTimesJacob Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2012 California

Looks like this was the first time sandiego67 posted about Modern Times, so s/he's not exactly a biblical flood of promotional copy. People post this kind of thing all the time here.

Beer doesn't talk; it's liquid. There are things to say about the process of making beer and starting a brewery, and clearly some people are interested. If you're not, that's fine, but I'll keep writing for the people who are.

20. sandiego67

sandiego67 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2008 California

I've never met Jacob and wouldn't know him if I bumped into him on the street. I read the passage on their website and thought it was a funny/clever take on the fad of using certain marketing terms.

If it is a problem, I will make sure to keep on script and only post mind altering topics like, "Which Alpine beer should I drink first?" and "Where is a good place to get local beer in San Diego?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.