Hill Farmstead expansion plans approved

Discussion in 'New England' started by bugdoc, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugdoc

bugdoc Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2011 California

2. smo

smo Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

Direct sales/shipping to customers would put so much strain on them. I can't even begin to imagine haha.... We can only hope though :slight_smile:

3. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Direct shipping to customers would be awesome!

4. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Deactivated

Love the avatar Hosser.

BottleCaps80 and FrankLloydMike like this.
  5. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

Now I just need MA to get their act together if the direct shipping pans through.

jglowe77 likes this.
  6. Squidly

Squidly Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2006 New Jersey

Excellent story...thanks for linking.

7. Flashy

Flashy Pooh-Bah (1,755) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

HF was distributed by someone for a time, we had it on tap in Southern Vt for several months. Surprise they were able to get any business venture signed off on in this state.

8. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

HF has got to be the biggest boost to the VT economy in years. They're so remote that you pretty much have to stay overnight, if not make a weekend of it. Before HF I went to Waterbury for The Alchemist, but I never would have fathomed staying there and/or spending so much time as I do now...

Anyway, this is great news.

Gushue3 likes this.
  9. nathanjohnson

nathanjohnson Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2007 Vermont
    Deactivated

Yea... Not at all. Four letters: GMCR.

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  10. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Well fair enough - HF can't compete with a multi-billion dollar company. :slight_smile:

But in terms of tourism, do people actually go up there for coffee the way beer geeks flock for HF?

11. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I would hope not. Green Mountain on the same level as Dunkin Donuts when it comes to coffee.

Chaaaarlieeee likes this.
  12. RochesterAaron

RochesterAaron Initiate (0) May 24, 2007 New York

Made 2 trips to VT this summer because of HF. The first we stayed in Stowe one night, ended up going back for a week. Those trips would not have happened if not for HF.

13. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Pooh-Bah (1,945) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

There are numerous alcohol laws in MA that are more important than shipping rules.

14. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

Yea but will shaun be willing to break the shipping laws and send beer to states that dont allow it? My guess is no. The backlash for a company sending beer to someone is probably much greater than in individual.

15. concealed

concealed Initiate (0) May 7, 2009 Georgia

yeah no one goes to Vermont for skiing either :slight_smile:

AdamP likes this.
  16. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Pooh-Bah (1,841) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Waterbury sure smelled wonderful on those days when John was brewing at the old pub and GMCR was roasting.

17. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

18. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Deactivated

I agree with your logic, but I personallly think the consistent volume of traffic to the Alchemist cannery has a larger impact on the local economy. They also provide enough product to a handfull local reatailers( for now) to increase their traffic.

From the overnight stay prespective I think the Waterbury beer scene/nightlife generates a fair amount on it's own.

Lawson's farmers market events also bring a fair amount to the table, just go to The Three Penny Taproom after a market, it's always full of patrons from out of state that are here overnight.

All in all, we in Vermont need to thank and support the beer industy that puts this tiny state on the map.

19. dunix

dunix Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2011 Vermont

I agree. Although I'll add, there is a vocal part of the population in the Greater Hardwick area that would much rather Hill Farmstead set up else where. Even more than that, would much rather places like Pete's Greens, Jasper Hill, and High Mowing, pick up shop and move closer to Burlington. Even though this area has really been economically depressed since the 1930s, and is just starting to see revitalization because of these businesses. It is an interesting dynamic, where the people that have lived in the area for generations and have struggled, don't want these new businesses bringing in more dollars to the local economy.

As for the economic impact, I'd assume businesses like Ben & Jerry's, GMCR, and Cabot Cheese are doing more individually than the entire beer industry combined for the economy as a whole. Does it really matter who does more? Nope. Either way, spend money here so our state doesn't go bankrupt (and my taxes don't go up more) :wink:

JrGtr and BeerCosmonaut like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

While in theory it would, how much fun would it be to sit and stare at a screen full of "out of stock" notices everyday on their beers?

cfrances33, franklinn and Jnorton00 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.