Heading to Germany

Discussion in 'Germany' started by spartan1979, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Grand Pooh-Bah (3,697) Sep 11, 2002 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have been to some Bockbieranstiche that were insanely packed (e.g., Mahrs, Keesmann, Greifenklau), but I loved it. If you want to avoid the crush, go early, as early as they begin serving the Bock, often around 4 pm or 5 pm. As herrburgess said, some of them in the small towns are more subdued.

You will be too late for the Schlenkerla Bockbieranstich, but definitely visit Schlenkerla and get some of their Bockbier while it is available from a barrel!

spartan1979 and herrburgess like this.
  2. bergbrew

bergbrew Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2004 Minnesota

I've been to both Wagner's, and of the two, Kemmern was less crazy (note I refrained from using the word subdued:grinning:) At the Merkendorf event, we watched a couple of 16 year old girls slam liters of wine straight from the bottle:grimacing:

herrburgess and UncleJimbo like this.
  3. TreinJan

TreinJan Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2006 Netherlands

Well at least Wagner in Oberhaid has stopped brewing.:slight_smile:

UncleJimbo likes this.
  4. spartan1979

spartan1979 Pundit (946) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

Well, Stu's tour is officially cancelled, we're on our own. Fortunately my wife likes to drink bier! We've decided to hit Köln on our way to Dusseldorf and not spend a night there. We'll have lunch there, take a tour of the Dom, maybe hit another brewery and then go on to Dusseldorf.

Anyhow, what are your favorite two Kölsch breweries? Which one would you recommend for lunch? We don't want to travel too far from the Dom and the Hauptbahnhof? We've been to Sion, Peters and Pfaffen.

Thanks.

5. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Favorites are Paeffgen and Malzmuehle. Sounds like for your purposes a trip through the old town from the Dom down to Heumarkt and Malzmuehle will be the way to go. If you're willing to ride the U-bahn, you could head west and hit Paeffgen -- the walk there would be less exciting than to Malzmuehle, but Paeffgen is IMO the best Koelsch in town.

6. seanyfo

seanyfo Pooh-Bah (1,656) Jan 2, 2006 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah Society

7. spartan1979

Paeffgen was the other brewery we visted last time. I get confused between that and Pfaffen.

We'll definitely have to walk down to Malzmuehle. Probably for lunch. It may make sense to just go to Früh after the Dom and then catch the train to Dusseldorf.

seanyfo and Gutes_Bier like this.
  8. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

I'm sure Früh is the touristy-ist of the spots, but I went there with a friend after we walked around the Dom a bit and it's pretty much perfect for what you describe - a quick pit stop with perhaps some lunch after touring the Dom.

9. spartan1979

Weather permitting, we're going to try the Funf Seidla Steig on the Saturday that we're in Bamberg. We want to spend some time wandering around some smaller villages. This seems to fit the bill plus five breweries!

We also have a bike ride planned for the day before to go to Memmelsdorf and Merkendorf.

The backup plan for either day would be Forcheim. I'm assuming the Keller Express is a bus to Hallendorf? It looks like the Kellers will still be open the last weekend of the month.

There doesn't appear to be convenient transportation to Aufsess.

Thanks for the suggestions on Forcheim and the Bockbieranstichen.

10. herrburgess

Pooh-Bah Society

Sounds like a blast. And you are correct about public transport to Aufsess; it's a bit off the beaten path, which is bad for transport options but (very) good for authenticity. The Keller Express is easy to find and catch; and still the Kreuzbergkeller retain a good deal of authenticity (well, Lieberth and Rittmayer do...Friedel has become a bit too much like a U.S. brewpub for my liking). Do report back so we can live vicariously through you for a bit. Prost!

seanyfo likes this.
  11. UncleJimbo

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I read on another site that Roppelt's Keller has already closed for the season. You should call ahead before you head anywhere this time of year.

herrburgess likes this.
  12. herrburgess

Pooh-Bah Society

Yea, especially when the weather today in parts of Bayern looked like this:

[​IMG]

einhorn likes this.
  13. spartan1979

I am planning on warm and sunny.

herrburgess likes this.
  14. spartan1979

Even without the kellers there's enough breweries in Forcheim and it's easy to get to.

herrburgess likes this.
  15. UncleJimbo

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Roppelt's Keller is not in Forchheim, it is in Stiebarlimbach near Hallerndorf.

16. herrburgess

Pooh-Bah Society

Don't know how many of you can see this, but Stephan Michel (aka Pitschi Greulich) from Mahr's Brau just posted a video of the line to get into the Mahr's Bockbieranstich on his Facebook timeline: https://www.facebook.com/stephan.michel

Holy cow. Looks like Germany does have its version of the "rare release" party!

17. spartan1979

Are you talking about the four guys in his cover photo? :slight_smile:

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  18. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

I just got this.

19. UncleJimbo

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't see it on his pages. Can you provide a URL for the video not simply to his page?

20. herrburgess

Pooh-Bah Society

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.