HBO & Brewery Ommegang Team Up for "Game of Thrones" Themed Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by THANAT0PSIS, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Pooh-Bah (2,201) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

According to the New York Times, HBO is teaming up with everyone's favorite Cooperstown, NY based, Belgian-inspired brewery: Ommegang to create an initial run of four Game of Thrones themed beers.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/coming-soon-the-beer-of-kings/

acevenom likes this.
  2. kevanb

kevanb Pooh-Bah (2,569) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Can't wait!!

3. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

Gimmicky, but cool idea. Hopefully this will be a gateway to craft brew to average BMC only drinkers.

4. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Pooh-Bah (2,825) Apr 14, 2008 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Omigoshomigoshomigoshomigosh! Two of my favorite things are coming together! Beer and George R. R. Martin's work?! The only way it could be better is if the Audubon Society did collaboration beers with Founders.

Bubbalito, chianski, afrokaze and 5 others like this.
  5. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Pooh-Bah (2,201) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

I'm personally looking forward to the label artwork more than anything. They could do a lot of really cool stuff, given all of the great imagery in the books and TV series. Ommegang has some decent, if minimalist labels; hopefully they don't screw up this opportunity.

Maxwell likes this.
  6. sullenbee

sullenbee Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 Michigan

7. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

First beer: Blonde ale. Then what? A wheat.

8. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

Ugh, I had this idea long before the HBO series for my homebrewery :slight_smile:

-The Hound (sharp, brutal black IPA)
    -The Kingslayer (strong golden ale, cross between Duvel and a tripel, with honey and a touch of saffron...beautiful, golden, and deadly).
    -The Imp (a pint-sized: read, 7-8%, English-style imperial stout)
    -Night's Watch Porter (Baltic style porter, sustaining for those winter months with medium-high gravity but significant amount of unfermentables as well...lagered long and cold)

9. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Maven (1,389) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

One of my favorite breweries already... I'm halfway through the first book and loving it. I wonder how many they'll try to do, since there is only like, a million characters. Ha ha. I'm all for them brewing new stuff anyway.

10. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Maven (1,389) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

Love the theme and names. Just because they are gonna make it popular, it doesn't mean you didn't have a great idea to begin with :slight_smile: Nothing for the bastard? or a dragon themed beer?

11. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

I like where your head's at...gimme some time :slight_smile:

12. seakayak

seakayak Pooh-Bah (1,757) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

For the luciously pale Daenerys Targaryen: Allagash White
    For the deviously rutting Cersei Lannister: Sweaty Betty

VABA and Kuemmelbrau like this.
  13. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

Nimble Dick needs his own beer.

14. Creetoper

Creetoper Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2011 Ohio

Blood of the Dragon: a smoked imperial red ale brewed with chilies for a touch of heat.

fmccormi, sullenbee and zappafrank like this.
  15. mjryan

mjryan Maven (1,485) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

I kind of wish the beer was based more on the books. What I mean is, that while I'm sure Iron Throne blond will be a fine beer, it seems they are just pairing what will most likely be a beer with broad appeal with a catchy name from the story.

gueuzer likes this.
  16. Creetoper

Creetoper Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2011 Ohio

If they did that there'd be a lot of sour ale and the black ale from Braavos so thick you can chew it.

Kuemmelbrau and Jnorton00 like this.
  17. merc7186

merc7186 Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2010 New York

Back it up a second, you do know that we are talking about Ommegang here, right? It will be the same Belgian Yeast for every beer, which I am pretty sure is not anywhere associated with the era of Game of Thrones. Sorry, but I have little hope for these beers to be anywhere original for Ommegang...merely gimmicky.

18. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

They'd be fools not to make a wight ale.

Kuemmelbrau and sullenbee like this.
  19. Rosty

Rosty Devotee (337) Nov 29, 2006 California

Can't wait to use the Blonde ale for the GoT drinking game. Every time they show a boob or nudity. . .drink. Every time someone gets their head cut off. . .drink. With just those two rules you are wasted in an hour. Shoot, one could just use the first rule. HBO loves themselves some TnA. Can't wait to see what the labels look like.

Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  20. Maxwell

Maxwell Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I love the concept. Sure its gimmicky, but they went to Ommegang and not to a BMC for it, which is great. There is also a strong chance they do a Flanders Red for a southern beer (maybe the Tyrells?) and some chili beers for the Martells, both of which I would love to see Ommegang try. I also hope they get George RR Martin in there with the brewers to craft some of the beers, his food is always elaborately explained in the books so it would be cool to see what he'd come up with.

Bubbalito likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.