guilford ct-shoreline area recommendations?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Invinciblejets, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Pooh-Bah (1,636) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Going to be visiting family in about a month in the guilford...its my first visit being of age looking for bottleshops, bars ..must experience stuff In the NE beer world.
    Very excited to visit CT in the fall I miss NE alot I grew up in Clinton ct...plus I'm bringing my purely southern Fiancee hoping the foliage will win her over:wink:
    Any recommendations welcome!!

jhavs likes this.
  2. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,776) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut

You are in a prime spot to hit all the breweries and not have to deal with Fairfield Co. Traffic. In Branford there is DuVig, Thimble Island and Stony Creek. They are worth a visit and they are minutes from one another. NEBCO is 2 towns over from Guilford in Woodbridge. Arguably the best brewery in the state. However, it is hit or miss regarding what is on tap. They could have a solid line up with 3 or 4 taps or, sadly, they could only have one tap of something pedestrian. 30 minutes away you have Black Hog and OEC in Oxford. Steady Habit is relitively close in Hamden but I haven't been there.
    I am not from that part of CT so I don't have a lot of knowledge concerning local bottle shops and bars. Although New Haven has Prime 16 and Cask Republic.

3. Invinciblejets

Pooh-Bah Trader

Wow! Was not expecting that much around the area...looks like the fiancee won't be seeing much of the foliage after all!!

PatrickCT likes this.
  4. bring

bring Zealot (686) Aug 17, 2005 Greenland
    Trader

Bit further, but Beer'd in Stonington is highly recommended. Be sure to check the hours on all of the small breweries suggested, as in most cases, they are pretty limited.

jhavs, PatrickCT and Invinciblejets like this.
  5. PatrickCT

Yes...there is a lot of beer up here. And in my opinion New England Brewing and OEC are the best and make some world class beers. Alas, not many breweries are canning so that may be why you haven't heard of them.

Invinciblejets likes this.
  6. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

Best bottle shop in the area is coastal im branford. You should fill a couple growlers at nebco for sure, probaly a 25 minute drive from guilford. If you are up for a little road trip, treehouse is about 90 minutes away, and they are making some of the best beer in new england right now IMO. If you would rather go to a brewery to just hang out and drink a few beers, stony creek just built a beautiful new facility in branford, awesome place to hang out, but they are not making world class beers like nebco and others. Steady habit in haddam isn't much of a drive, its a new very small startup brewery in haddam doing some great stuff. If you are looking for a good beer bar new haven has some good options. Cask republic, and prime 16 usually have great tap lists, if you go to new haven stop by one of the great pizza places like pepes, sallys, modern or delenga. If you are looking for a place to eat with a decent tap list closer than new haven, check out GW carsons in branford or KCs pub in guilford. Haywire burger bar in westbrook is also a great place to eat with a nice beer selection. You should be able to find sip of sunshine on tap somewhere nearby, and if you are lucky you might be able to snag a 4 pack or two.

PatrickCT, Invinciblejets and jhavs like this.
  7. Shyla987

Shyla987 Zealot (575) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

I would really like to know when NEBCo has recently only had one beer on tap, and more importantly, which beer is pedestrian?

OP: I would skip DuVig, but def recommend Thimble Island, most of their beers are great. Stony Creek is a destination brewery; beautiful spot on the water. Beers are decent.

NEBCo is open Weds-Sat. As other have said, definitely worth a visit. It's not a "destination" to hang out and drink. You get great beers in growlers, then on your way.

Enjoy!

8. Evmo31

August 15th. Sea hag was on for growlers and thats it. August 21st, sea hag and 668. There has been alot of times their taplist was pretty basic.

9. jhavs

jhavs Grand Pooh-Bah (3,551) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

KC's in Guilford gets some pretty good beers sometimes. Tapped a keg of Fuzzy Baby Ducks at least once. And they have also had Sip of Sunshine in the past. I grew up in Guilford, but moved away in late 90's. Its great how much the beer scene has improved in this area.
    Also, Two Roads is not too far away in Stratford. The owners live in Guilford.

BranfordBound and Invinciblejets like this.
  10. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2010 Connecticut

That's the exception to the rule though.

As for a visit to Guilford, Day one I would go to Steady Habbit, NEBCo, and OEC (stop by Modern in New Haven for lunch with the Fiancé). If you have another free day, go over to Beer'd and stop at Gray Sail (take your Fiancé around Mystic on this leg of the trip, eat at the Engine Room). A trip to Tree House is worth it (great beer), but if your Fiancé is anything like my wife, it would be hard to justify a minimum 4-4.5 hour round trip just for beer. Good luck and I hope you both have a great time in CT.

Shyla987 and Invinciblejets like this.
  11. Invinciblejets

Pooh-Bah Trader

Wow great recommendations!!!! This is turning into a Beercation pretty fast!

12. Evmo31

Ya i agree, since then they have had a consistently awesome tap list, most of the time they have at least one beer available that is brewery only, and not cannned. I was just backing up @PatrickCT 's statement that it is a good idea to check their facebook page and see what they are pouring before you head there. If OP had limited time for beer trips in CT, a trip to steady habit might make more sense than a trip to nebco if they are only pouring sea hag and 668, when he could just pick up cans of those beers in multiple stores around the guilford area.

BranfordBound and Invinciblejets like this.
  13. PatrickCT

Question:
    Answer:
    I was giving the OP a heads up so he doesnt waste his vacation time.

14. Invinciblejets

Pooh-Bah Trader

Yup only have a about a week.. so if been alotted one beer day to go to brewery and nice bar..
    I'm flying there but driving home in a new car so will be stocking up at the bottle shop..plus getting parts to bring home for the rx7 from a guy on the rx7club forums.

#14 Invinciblejets, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Evmo31 and PatrickCT like this.
  15. PatrickCT

II would hit breweries with your one day and load up on growlers. But that's me. Either way, I hope you and your fiancee have a good time and that she enjoys CT!

16. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Grand Pooh-Bah (5,080) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

@Invinciblejets I didnt see anyone mention Overshores in East Haven. Good belgian style place with some cool one offs on tap and bottles and growlers available. You can literally hit the three Branford breweries and Overshores all in less than 2 hours without a problem. Steady Habit is great in Haddam and is just under 30 minutes from me in Branford. I also think there is a spot starting up in Niantic East Lyme, but the name escapes me right now. A great beer bar in Branford with awesome food is HOME. only 6 taps but they are all good, and a solid bottle list too. only craft beers from New England region.
    Outer Lights is in Groton and is maybe 45 minutes east and if you go there you should definitely hit Beer'd in Stonington. There is a ton going on in the CT craft beer world these days. Hit me up I may be able to meet up with you for a pint somewhere.

17. Shyla987

Shyla987 Zealot (575) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Yup, mid-August. I said "recently", when I should have said very recently. And since then they've had multiple beers on each day, usually the Fat Ten-ers and Hag or 668. I just think the Fat Ten-ers are a bit under appreciated; definitely worth a trip.

Still waiting for an answer on which of NEBCo's beers is pedestrian. :slight_smile:

18. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wont Nebco be closed in a month for renovations?

19. t8000shx

t8000shx Zealot (588) Mar 2, 2004 New York
    Trader

Fun thread. I'm born and raised in Guilford, moved out in 2000. Go back regularly to visit my folks, but haven't paid close attention to the beer scene in the area. Very familiar with Nebco of course, but some of these others are new to me. Great to hear about all these places!

20. BranfordBound

BranfordBound Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2010 Connecticut

You mean Noble Jay Brewing? They have a new spot up on Freedom Way in Niantic, I think they are still setting up shop, right @NobleJayJesse ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.