1. Stop lurking! Log in to search, post in our forums, review beers, see fewer ads, and more. — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Great Lakes Alchemy Hour Double IPA

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by BB1313, Feb 6, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB1313

BB1313 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,278) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Great Lakes just released some info on the releasing of this one.
    https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/news/glbc-releases-alchemy-hour-double-ipa

It taps tomorrow (Feb 7th) at GLBC. Their giftshop will start selling 4pks on Feb 15th and it will hit markets starting Feb 18th.

I'm personally really excited for this one. Been excited since it was announced. It's going to be very interesting to see what Great Lakes has up their sleeve with their interpretation of a westcoast style DIPA.

Ri0, Extravadanza and forrestbetts like this.
  2. awlcordell

awlcordell Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Ohio

Still disappointed they are sticking with 12oz bottles.
    I guess it's just a personal preference of mine, but i like breweries to mix it up with 12's and 22's.
    but still, very excited to try this !

3. Raime

Raime Pooh-Bah (1,935) Jun 4, 2012 Korea (North)
    Pooh-Bah

From their Facebook. " our brewers used a sweet honey malt for Alchemy Hour Double IPA, and the Mosaic hops provide earthy tropical fruit notes. All of this adds up to a sweet, full-bodied Double IPA with resiny Nugget hops and crisp Cascade hops for balance. " I"m sure it will be great, I've never disliked anything by GLBC.

4. miketd

miketd Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

I will probably swing by Friday for a pint.

robconoclast likes this.
  5. chilidog

chilidog Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2002 Ohio

Sounds good, been waiting for something new and big. I'll be seeking the 4.

6. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2010 Ohio

excited about this kinda hoping for a hoppy west coast style but im thinking it'll be a little different than that.

7. awlcordell

awlcordell Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Ohio

I think the term alchemy hour is throwing people off. Thinking it might be kind of off centered a'la dogfish head.
    Really it's just about surfing on Lake Erie

8. fakewadeboggs

fakewadeboggs Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2011 Ohio

Over the summer they had a DIPA brewed with Honey on tap at the Brewpub...it was amazing. I brought 2 growlers home to CBUS that weekend. I really hope that this will taste close to that beer. Either way I'm excited to try it.

9. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

Going tonight. I'm glad they're bottling it.

10. Extravadanza

Extravadanza Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2011 Ohio

cant wait for open distro since I wont have time to make it up to clev :slight_frown:

11. DogfishJoe

yeh im pretty sure ive heard about people surfing erie when its real cold out. don't quote me though

12. nategibbon

nategibbon Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2008 Illinois

Correct, It has more malt presence than a West Coast DIPA, the name is just an homage to the surfers on the lake.

13. BB1313

BB1313 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,278) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yep, people are nuts. There's an episode of Anthony Bourdain No Reservations when he visits Cleveland and is watching the surfers in the winter while drinking some Dortmunder Gold. haha

stayclean likes this.
  14. DogfishJoe

Yep I knew I saw it on tv somewhere.

15. klek

klek Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2010 Ohio

A good video on Cleveland surfing:

Extravadanza likes this.
  16. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Oh yeah, there was a whole hour long program on one of the Travel channels about surfing the great lakes. The best waves are on Lake Erie and on the north short of Minnesota on Lake Superior. I have people surf in the winter in front of our house on Lake Superior monthly, depending on the ice build up and wind obviously...

17. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

Had it. Very middle of the road. Had a firkin and regular. Ok, but nothing special.

18. fmccormi

fmccormi Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2010 California

Really? Damn. I'll definitely still try it for myself, but I've had kinda high hopes for this one. I love(d) the Doppelrock, and love Erie Monster and Nosferatu—figured that if they replaced Doppelrock with something hoppy, it must be really something special in order to justify the decrease in stylistic variety in their line of 4-packs.

19. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Maven (1,390) Jun 18, 2003 Ohio
    Trader

Had it at the special beer school with Pat Conway. Excellent brew. Citrus (mangoes, pineapples) up front with the hop bitterness balanced by the honey. Alcohol was well hidden which amazed considering it's a 9+abv. It will be a big hit and brings GLBC up to par with the new kids--White Rajah and HeadHunter.

Extravadanza and BB1313 like this.
  20. Extravadanza

Extravadanza Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2011 Ohio

That's what I like to hear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.