Got Pliny Jacked today at Whole Foods

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RBassSFHOPit2ME, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

I walk in, see there's no PtE in the beer isle. Knowing today is their RRBC delivery or shipment day, I go over to the cheese counter where they hide them in the back and ask the clerk if they have it.

Clerk - Yes, How many.
    Me - There is no limit correct?

Before she answers, some a**hole shoves his basket at her and says give me 15. The bigger shocker was that she did it, and didn't finish my transaction first...oh well.

Clerk - How many was that for you?
    Me - Five.

She comes back with 4 and says all out. So one shy of what I wanted...life could be worse but I needed to vent some here. Now I feel what it must be like to be a woman shopper on Black Friday. (Yes, set myself up for some humor here I'm aware)

Any similar beer store drama stories?

2. Giovacchini

Giovacchini Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 California

Boo hoo. No just kidding. At my work they don't keep Pliny stocked all the time (it sells twice as fast as anything else) and one time this guy came up to me and asked if we had any in the back. I grabbed 6 bottles for him and he tipped me 20 BUCKS! I could of bought 5 Plinys for that!! Then like a month later another guy came in got Pliny from the back from my coworker who got it for him and he got tipped like 10 bucks also. I guess it got out that Pliny tastes better out of the back.

jbear68 likes this.
  3. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2012 Colorado

I hope he drank one every minute. I hear Pliny falls off a cliff after 15 minutes.

sukwonee, LostTraveler, vande and 4 others like this.
  4. RBassSFHOPit2ME

Deactivated

Pays better too.

clabier likes this.
  5. NEO68710

NEO68710 Crusader (479) Mar 6, 2006 Washington

Sadly, I am the patron who buys up all the Pliny when I can but butting in front of another customer I will not do.

6. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'm usually pretty cool-headed but if I'd been in that situation I would have kindly told the other guy he could wait his goddamn turn.

7. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

least you get pliny

Bluecane, Stockfan42, zeff80 and 4 others like this.
  8. RBassSFHOPit2ME

Deactivated

Yep, should have and usually I'm not cool headed or rather should I say not quiet in those situations, but the shipment couldn't have been there more than an hour so I figured I was in the clear...

9. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

Please give the community your contact info so we can send you care packages in your time of need.

*not intended as a shot to the people who have legitimately gone through hardships.

10. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

A similiar thing just happened to me when a Pliny shipment came in. oh wait, we don't get Pliny. Never mind.

BarryMFBurton and kmello69 like this.
  11. ravot

ravot Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois

was at whole foods in petaluama, plenty of pliny. i brought back about 6 or 7 with me. was in town from chicago. is pliny usually limited in stores?

12. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Most Whole Foods I know of have a limit of something like 2 or 4 bottles. Other bottle shops generally do too.
    Seattle gets a shipment every few weeks of maybe a few dozen cases.
    I never buy more than a couple bottles at a time for a couple reasons:
    A. Share the goodness.
    B. They'll never stop making this.

13. beerme411

beerme411 Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2010 California

Depends, I have yet to find a store that puts limits on pliny in the bay area. how fast they run out depends where you are, what store, and how much they get. Also sometimes production gets delayed and whatnot.
    honestly though I want more blind pig, but I hear they are bottling some of their ipa's that were draft only so more good news well mabe not they need to increase production even though vinnie doesn't want it to grow anymore.

14. KAF

KAF Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2007 Iowa

Similar story. My sister went to a tasting at a local grocery store and they tried Sam Smith's Stingo. The guy doing the tasting said they had a few in, but that it is rarely available to them. My sister texted me and asked if I would like one and never having tried it I said that would be great. After the tasting she went to a clerk to ask for help finding the Stingo and he started walking her back to the cooler. She said she noticed another guy lurking behind her and the clerk as he directed her to the Stingo. The clerk pointed out where the beer was and the other guy ran to the cooler and grabbed the one remaining bottle. Douche.

15. hiphopj5

hiphopj5 Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2010 Colorado

Pretty much every store I've got it at here in Denver has a 1-2 bottle limit now.

16. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

Posted on the web site of the liquor store I frequent. Granted, this is in Denver, not California but...

New Arrivals
    May, 16th
    • Russian River- Pliny the Elder- LIMIT, 1 BOTTLE PER PERSON

Prospero likes this.
  17. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

I just finished off a case of Pliny that was shipped to me. I feel the pain of no Pliny.

afrokaze and ravot like this.
  18. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

It wouldve been on like MotherF****in donkey kong at that point.

Cheers!

Zimbo, Orca and FUNKPhD like this.
  19. bugdoc

bugdoc Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2011 California

City Beer in SF has a 6 bottle limit, so even in Pliny-land, there're stores that put up roadblocks.

20. Prospero

Prospero Pooh-Bah (2,606) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Denver gets it once every 5-6 weeks, sells out in 24 hours typically and almost always, 1-2 bottle limit. The one store that sells it with no bottle limit typically sells out in 3-4 hours. And it's $6 here, not $4-5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.