Goose Island Baudoinia - Fulton & Wood Series (Fungus BCBS)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by BlastBeats, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2011 Illinois

"Baudoinia is a collaboration between Brewmaster Brett Porter and John Laffler. Baudoinia is the name of a fungus that grows on barrels stored low to the ground in distillery rickhouses. Given these barrels uniqueness, they have aged Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout solely in these Baudoinia covered barrels for a new spin on Bourbon County."

Looks really interesting.. check out the video;

2. tcman128

tcman128 Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2012 Illinois

I had this at FOBAB. Brett came over and talked with us for 20-25 minutes about the variations they were serving. He was VERY excited about the Baudoinia. I need to try it semi-sober to formulate a solid opinion of it vs. regular BCS. But my memory tells me it was solid!

SIDE NOTE: I can confidently say (and this was Brett's opinion too).....Bramble Rye with a year on it is better than Cherry Rye.

Mposha, VonZipper and tonyclifton36 like this.
  3. jmgrub

jmgrub Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2010 California

Had this at FoBAB as well. It was my second favorite of the 4 treatments behind apple brandy, and I'm pretty confident about my assessment as I used my second ticket on the BCBS flight.

4. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2008 Oregon

I'm surprised the press release doesn't mention: "We're pretty sure we can do any damn thing with the BCS series so long as it's limited and has the name Bourbon County Stout on it.

5. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2008 Illinois

But will Cherry Rye follow the same progression as Bramble has in a year? That's the more pertinent question to be asking in my opinion.

I didn't like Bramble fresh at all, but it is drinking very well right now. I also wasn't a huge fan of Cherry Rye at FoBAB or Black Friday, but hoping I'll be as impressed with it in a year as I am with Bramble now.

Also Baudoinia was very good at FoBAB, but not quite as good as the Apple Brandy Koval barrel aged version. Can't wait to try it side by side with regular Bourbon County in the coming weeks.

Cheers!

cnbrown313 likes this.
  6. Bond111

Bond111 Zealot (696) Feb 14, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

It's a shame I won't be anywhere close to Chicago to get to try this. The whole concept sounds very interesting, and I would only imagine it would taste lovely. BCBS with more smoothness and less of an "hot" taste and only 1% less abv, I'd gladly drink this everyday until the tap runs dry.

7. tcman128

tcman128 Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2012 Illinois

Yeah very true! Honestly ANY BCS varient is awesome. I'm also optimistic that Cherry Rye will turn out to be a true whale in a year. Just not sure it has the initial "punch" that might be needed to age into that. (Like I know what it takes:slight_smile:)

Just sayin'

8. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Wisconsin

Not sure why Cherry Rye gets as much slack as it has, it's a fucking incredible beer. If you dont want your bottles, I will gladly trade you for them. I want to drink as much of it as possible.

9. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

It was fantastic at FoBAB. Really smooth and rich. My favorite of the 4 samples.

Just to clarify, Fulton & Wood series means draft-only, Chicagoland only.

BlastBeats likes this.
  10. Atlas1977

Atlas1977 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2010 Illinois

Anyone know if this is on tap at Clyborn right now?

11. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

Supposedly available starting next Monday

12. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2008 Illinois

Introducing Baudoinia, the next beer in our Fulton and Wood series. The beer comes out December 10th on draft in the Chicago area only.

From the Goose Island Facebook Page.

Cheers!

BlastBeats likes this.
  13. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2012 Illinois

I am going to try to make it to the tapping at Clybourn next Monday......I'll just hop on the train as long as I am able to get this annoying work done this week.

I love Goose, but I also realize that they could probably release literally any BCBS variant and we will buy it up.

14. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2011 Illinois

Thanks for the info; I forgot to put the release date in my original post.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  15. dipaguy

dipaguy Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Florida

How much are the bottles of cherry rye and bcbcs going for on the shelf. Thanks

16. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Pundit (897) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

i wonder if brett porter realizes that his name could be a style of beer

17. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Sounds good.

18. mykey120

mykey120 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2012 Wisconsin

like 20-25 sounds like the average

19. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Poland

If Goose Island started distributing to Oregon you would be singing a very different tune.

BlastBeats, cavedave and BreakingBad like this.
  20. TomFoolery_x

TomFoolery_x Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, if you can find any lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.