Good Las Vegas Taproom/breweries

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by logadacious, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logadacious

logadacious Initiate (0) May 12, 2012 California

Anybips. Looking for some good taprooms with wide selections to show an up and comer in beer appreciation. Or some good breweries. Let me know.

2. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2011 California

Aces & Ales

3. TCMike

TCMike Pundit (791) Sep 30, 2010 Minnesota

Todd English Pub has a good selection, but be prepared to spend $11/pint.

4. denver10

denver10 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yard House had decent choices

5. mmurphy525

mmurphy525 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2011 Canada (NS)

I was in las Vegas a few weeks ago while my girl friend was on a conference. By far my favorite place was the public house at the venitian. Great staff and great food and a lot of beer, labyrinth was my favorite. I would also recommend Holstiens at the cosmopolitan. They have a nice beer list and their burgers are crazy good.

Also, being from Canada my opinion on good selection may not be that of others, but whole foods at the end of the strip has alot of the same beers as the bars for a 1/3 of the cost. I even found mikkeller beer geek brunch weasel and a couple bottles of sucaba there.

6. Jstark5150

Jstark5150 Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 California

Aces & Ales

7. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

32 draft at the M Resort.

8. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

I made the trek to Aces and Ales and found it to be a colossal disappointment. It might not be so bad if you have a car (and can leave easily if you have the same experience I did), but cabbing it is probably not the best idea.

On the strip almost everything is way overpriced. That's just something you'll have to come to grips with. I think the Pub in the Monte Carlo probably has the best selection, but you're not going to get anything cheap. Holstein's has a good bottle list, but is even more pricey. Burger Bar is probably the most affordable of those 3 and has a good line-up.

9. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2012 Nevada

Freakin' Forg by UNLV. Off the strip and has a large assortment of whiskies upstairs.

10. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Pooh-Bah (1,760) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Destral has replied to several of these inquiries; you should be able to do a search and find them. I'd add Ellis Island to his list/reply, not necessarily for great beer (it's quaffable but not anything too special), but it's quite cheap--free if you're playing--and the bbq in their beer garden is great AND cheap.

11. Destral

Destral Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2009 Nevada

This? lol!

If you are just limited to the Strip:

1. Burger Bar at Mandalay Bay - Has a good beer menu and good food.
    2. Yardhouse at Town Square - Located just south of the Strip, big selection and reasonably priced
    3. The Pub at Monte Carlo - Pretty decent tap list (80 or so?)
    4. Todd English PUB at Crystals/CityCenter - Some interesting food items, decent beer menu, and beer engines.
    5. Pour 24 at NYNY - Not a bad little satellite bar to try some good beers
    6. Whole Foods at Town Square - If you are looking to pick up a few bottles, find the leprechaun for the good stuff.
    7. Sin City Brewing at Planet Hollywood - Tickers gonna tick?
    8. Public House at the Venetian - Has a certified Cicerone, Russ Gardner working there. Good selection (some casks too) and service, but very expensive and the food is good but not worth it.

If you don't mind going a few miles:

1. Downtown - You can hit up 777 Brew Pub at Main Street Station and the Chicago Brewing Company hub at Four Queens.
    2. Freakin Frog - Beer bar with the biggest bottle selection in town, but you pay a big premium especially for the bottles
    3. Money Plays - A couple blocks west of the strip, just past The Palms. Small little dive, but local BA Nick (Here4Beer) is doing some good things with their beer selection.

If distance isn't an option (and sadly these are better than any of the above):

1. Aces and Ales - Best draft selection in town, has a lot of tapping parties and beer events, and hosts the local homebrew club. A few miles East of the strip near Sams Town.
    2. Khoury's Fine Wine - The local bottle shop that also has 3 tap lines (Soon to be 11 + Vinotemps). Good selection, knowledgeable staff, and fair prices. We have a weekly meetup every Wednesday from 6-10. Bring something fun in or buy something off the shelf to share.
    3. Big Dogs Drafthouse - The best brew pub in town. Dave brews some great hoppy beers and the food is great. Farthest trip from the strip though.
    4. Tenaya Creek - Another Nevada brew pub. Carl and Anthony have been making good beers for quite a while.
    5. Joseph James Brewery - You can find their beers around town and they do brewery tours if you are into that. Matt, Alex and the other guys are around at most of the beer events and Alex has really stepped up the quality of the beers.
    6. Fireside Lounge - A "Nevada" style tavern (think PT's) with better food and much better beer. Good place to combo with Khoury's since they are about 2 blocks apart.

12. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Pooh-Bah (1,760) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yup; you should get royalties as many times as you post this.

13. Fightthegdfight

Fightthegdfight Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2009 California

Hi All,

Just curious if a place like public house is open to opening bottles. I called and the hostess didn't know right away and had to ask a manager and I was quoted a $25/bottle corkage. Does anyone have experiences bringing in a bottle to Public House or any of these other spots? Obviously we are eating and drinking their, just wanted to open some nice things to share if possible.

14. Here4Beer

Here4Beer Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2006 Nevada

It's been my experience that the only joints in town that really let you bring in a bottle with minimal/reasonable-to-no corkage fees are Aces&Ales, Khoury's FineWine, and Money Plays (on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Sundays from 5pm-1am). I'm sure others will pipe in with additional places.

Fightthegdfight likes this.
  15. Destral

That pretty much sums it up. Any of the strip places like Public House probably won't be open to it, or they are going to bend you over on corkage.

16. Fightthegdfight

Fightthegdfight Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2009 California

Thanks for the tips. I might try and bring bottles and feel out how the vibe of the place is. It all comes down to your server/bartender.

17. Here4Beer

Here4Beer Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2006 Nevada

I'll be holding down the bar at Money's on Fri and Sun this week, 5-1am.
    Usually a couple BA's drop in for a quasi-bottle share there Sun nights- message me if interested m'man and I'll bring something down.

18. NForr

NForr Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 Canada (QC)

Thanks for the info! Any idea how much a cab might cost from the Bellagio to Aces and Ales? Or does public transportation take a really long time? (Sorry, never been to Vegas, so I have no idea how chaotic or expensive these things would be).

19. Destral

From what I've heard trying to do the CAT bus down Flamingo isn't that long...maybe 30 minutes?

I think the cab fare from the strip to Aces is about $25 one way.

VegasHopHead likes this.
  20. VegasHopHead

VegasHopHead Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2012 Nevada

^^what this f'n guy said.

Destral likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.