General Ignorance among AB-Inbev employees

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DHS1029, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Coming from a Hokie, I'm not offended.
    Edit: I'm also not a native WVian by any means.

HokiesandBeer likes this.
  2. cmannes

cmannes Pundit (943) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

What does Quality taste like? If you were writing a book on "Quality Beer" how would you explain the attributes of Quality Taste?

FUNKPhD, teal and herrburgess like this.
  3. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

Haha hey don't point the finger at me, I didn't bring West Virginian's into this conversation, that was leedorham! I simply said I was happy for them!

4. Brokentalontsi

Brokentalontsi Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2012 Texas

Never had an old red huh? Bud is actually brewed with generous "quality" and "drinkability" although the 2013 has a little less "refreshing" in it.

5. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

To be fair the only WVian's I've ever met have been at football games, strip clubs and firework shops. If they aren't representative of WVian's as a whole than I apologize for lumping them all in together.

6. danp14

danp14 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2011 Michigan

"Piss" and "Crap" i think are figurative descriptors people use to emphasize their disdain toward AAL's. I litterally think that Budweiser tastes like dirty socks smell. I'm not saying all lagers are bad, or anything tastes like crap or piss by any means. I'm just saying i get a taste and smell i don't care for, and that i antequate to dirty socks and to me, it does taste bad, but that's just my personal taste.

7. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

I thought that was Busch Bock? :grinning:

leedorham likes this.
  8. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

And meatballs. Oh wait...

EyePeeAyBryan and raffels like this.
  9. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

:grimacing:Don't trash Ikea. It can withstand my 5 yr old boy = well made.

Brew33 likes this.
  10. BetterBeerPlz

BetterBeerPlz Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 Arkansas

It's subjective and based on comparison to other product. Quality with respect to a beer revolves around "tastes good" to me. From there, I guess I could develop a more sophisticated scale to measure characteristics of the beer. Aroma, flavor, and yes, consistency could be a factor in that.

We can debate semantics, but it would be a waste of time. The definition of "quality" is broad enough to encompass varying meanings and standards. I'm just pointing out that "consistency" of product does not mean "high quality" to me.

Budweiser and most AAL simply don't measure very highly to me when I compare them to other beers.
    qual·i·ty

/ˈkwälətē/
    Noun
    1. The standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind; the degree of excellence of something: "quality of life".

11. StarRanger

StarRanger Crusader (482) Nov 27, 2006 North Dakota

Sure, if we were referring to just 'consistency', but in this case, we are referring to AB making beers 'consistantly without flaws that can be detected in a product that does not cover up flaws'.

With that definition, I think they do make a high quality product since they make exactly what they are intending to make without flaws when going through a proceess prone to have flaws that are noticable.

cmannes likes this.
  12. tharte

tharte Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 New York

I think it's kind of a chicken / egg issue. They have billions of dollars because they made a quality consistent product for years. They were first kind of like Ford was first. If they made an inconsistent, crap product they wouldn't be the largest brewer in the world, and they would probably be out of business.

13. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

To the folks saying, "It actually is difficult to consistently produce an American Adjunct Lager that delivers the same results every time" :

Is it difficult, or is it expensive? Seems to me that if you gave a brew master at any of the craft breweries we love the same amount of money ABI has, they'd probably be able to nail down a consistent product as well.

Just my two cents.

pjeagles, jcb7472, brewsader and 2 others like this.
  14. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sierra Nevada, Boston Beer Co., Stone, Anchor etc. (among others) already do this. As far as the "difficult vs. expensive" question, I don't think the two can be separated. For most of us, expense makes quite a few things difficult or impossible. I have an endless list of things I'd like to do; the only thing that keeps me from doing them is the expense.

15. teal

teal Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

Except they got the $$ for all that machinery and process engineering by making a product consistently on equipment before they had the technology.

The process technology made it easier but it was there before they had it.

Brew33 likes this.
  16. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Source?

dman5400 likes this.
  17. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

I vote that this thread be renamed. Regardless of ensuing disagreements, it seems that the OP's original premise has been essentially debunked. Suggestions on a new thread title anyone?

18. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

How about "Playing chess with pigeons?"

FUNKPhD likes this.
  19. BetterBeerPlz

BetterBeerPlz Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 Arkansas

I agree that under that definition AB is making a "high quality" product. I'm just questioning the benefit of that definition for a consumer looking for "high quality" taste.

20. teal

teal Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

Common sense.

You don't get where they were (in a position to buy due to earnings) by putting out inconsistent/bad beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.