General Ignorance among AB-Inbev employees

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DHS1029, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Jeff, do you agree with the 25% figures? I don’t know if the grist of Budweiser is published anywhere bit I would have guessed from the lightness of the body of Budweiser than something like 40% rice would be closer to the mark.

My personal view on the use of adjuncts (rice, corn, corn syrup) in beer making is that the ‘problem’ is with the amounts used and also perhaps with the manner in which they are used by BMC type breweries. In other words, I am of the opinion that breweries like AB and Miller-Coors (and some regional breweries) just use too much adjunct (and sometimes the ‘wrong’ format of adjunct) to create a super-light beer.

Cheers!

Jack

P.S. I had a brother-in-law (who is no deceased) whose favorite beer was MGD, Budweiser, etc. As a birthday present I tried to make clones of beers (Molson Ice clone, Heineken clone, etc.) that I thought he would like. Each of those batches turned out ‘good’ but they really didn’t taste like the beers they were supposed to emulate. Yeah, I have a lot of admiration for how the big breweries make light tasting beers. I sort of understand the point that Bulletrain76 made but I can’t help but think there is indeed some “skill” involved here.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  2. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

So you would be checking so you could reprimand or fire them. I would have used caps but I don't want you to think I'm yelling.

3. Vav

Vav Savant (1,025) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

That's neither here nor there. Again, just because you dont enjoy a product doesnt mean it's lesser in quality.

Well, it's good to know you're both ignorant AND judgemental.

BrettHead, Mandark, FUNKPhD and 2 others like this.
  4. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

The two tend to go hand-in-hand.

5. beernut

beernut Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2008 New Jersey

Have you heard of Mitch Steele?

You set a fine example for those who enjoy craft beer (sarcasm).

6. beernut

beernut Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2008 New Jersey

You obviously never been to Cheese Advocate.

7. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks for the warning on the Kuhnhenn's -- I have a terrible allergic reaction to rice when used in brewing (whether it's malted or just the sugar mashed out, I don't know). One sip of a beer brewed with rice and I have an instant hangover -- it's why I don't judge American lagers in competition anymore.

But honestly, how many beers can you really find with rice in the grain bill?

8. IceAce

IceAce Pooh-Bah (2,220) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I hope he has taken the time to teach you more about jewelry than he has about beer...it's a bummer when the successor to a family business is not a member of the family.

harrylee773 likes this.
  9. phooky

phooky Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2010 New York

hope I'm not the only one who just google'd cheeseadvocate.com

10. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Please elaborate.

Watching the ABI apologists flail used to be annoying, then it became tiresome, and now it's got a certain entertaining quality... like watching a motorhome overheat and catch fire on a mountain pass.

mfnmbvp and starkmarvelo like this.
  11. PatKorn

PatKorn Zealot (685) Aug 30, 2007 Hawaii

Budweiser is the most well made beer made on the planet. It is nearly impossible to hide a flaw in that type of beer. It tastes exactly the same whether you are in Portland Maine or Portland Oregon or Europe or Asia. The consistency of the product is mind blowing. As a brewer I aspire to be as good as Budweiser.

12. Boitnott

Boitnott Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2010 North Carolina

And every once in awhile, I am reminded why I avoid the "Beer Talk" forum...

13. leedorham

Consistency does not equal "well made." IKEA makes consistent furniture.

beastmammoth and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  14. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

FUNKPhD likes this.
  15. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota

PLUS he ended his sentence with a preposition, so there's that.

Sarlacc83, mfnmbvp, FUNKPhD and 4 others like this.
  16. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

IKEA makes consistent furniture parts. Then IKEA customers make inconsistent IKEA furniture.

FUNKPhD, teal and leedorham like this.
  17. leedorham

FUNKPhD likes this.
  18. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania

If you don't understand why saying something like, "Some countries have yet to figure out how to make flushing toilets" is dumb then I'm afraid you're a bit of a lost cause. I don't really feel the need or desire to elaborate it for you, I just had to comment on your dumb reasoning, that's all.

19. DHS1029

DHS1029 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois

Backfiring or not, I am by no means naive enough to expect everyone on BA to agree with my thread or like what I have to say. I expected to chap a lot of asses and I don't take back anything I said, so really, it didn't backfire but thanks for the witty commentary

20. Brokentalontsi

Brokentalontsi Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2012 Texas

There are plenty of reasons to call ABI employees arrogant and ignorant, quality and quality control isn't one of them. The douchebag mentality that retailers should feel privileged to sell ABI products is probably their worst offense, at least in my experience with them.

I've never understood bashing on people who drink BMC beer. Suprising as it may be, lots of people prefer less flavorful, cheaper products. McDonald's tells us of the billions and billions served but surely we all know of a better burger joint. Nothing to do with advertising, give them a choice of unlimited BA old Rasputin or unlimited bud light and they will happily choose bud light.

Haters gonna hate.

FUNKPhD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.