1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Fou Foune for DDG

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by black13, Mar 12, 2013.

?

How many bottles of Fou Foune is reasonable for a bottle of DDG

1. 1

22.7%
  2. 2

20.6%
  3. 3

19.6%
  4. 4

9.3%
  5. I like pickles!

27.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean9689

Sean9689 Pooh-Bah (2,270) Mar 17, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

2x FF for 1x DDG...you might have to use older vintages on the FF for the 2:1...3:1 should get done very quickly, IMO.

SpeedwayJim likes this.
  2. youradhere

youradhere Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2008 Washington

Why not just hold an auction, that way you can ensure that you get the most out of the trade without advocating beer?

jshusc, Etan, Jnorton00 and 2 others like this.
  3. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

Based on empirical data, it appears 1x Fou Foune + a large jar of quality pickles should get this done.

4. pmoney

pmoney Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2011 Illinois

I believe it would probably take 3 FF. Would I ever trade 3 FF for DDG? Absolutely not.

Shakory and claaark13 like this.
  5. Sean9689

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Better yet, how many FF for a Blabaer? :grinning:

6. doobliebop

doobliebop Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2010 Colorado

Following BA2.0 etiquette, you post in ISO:FT 1:1, then wait for a response. You then post that you got a bunch of responses in General/Help and try to auction it up for a case.

Franch likes this.
  7. Sean9689

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Haha, damn you're ISO/FT game is on, bruh.

8. ridglens

ridglens Pundit (806) Jan 10, 2010 Indiana

i think these polls are only worthwhile when people would actually do the trade. I'm saying 1-2, but there's no way in hell i would trade 3 FouFounes for a DDG, that's just too much hard-to-get-but-actually-amazing beer for one real-hard-to-get-good-beer.... unless i had a shit ton of FF i guess, and didn't have to pay $30-40/each (maybe international?)

I think 2 is fair, and i'd probably do that. I don't think people should vote in these polls on trades they wouldn't do, that's kind of the point in any trade-value poll right? it doesn't matter if everyone thinks it should pull 3 FF, if all of the guys with 3 FF wouldn't do it, we've proven our thoughts wrong...

gpawned, DaveHack, corby112 and 2 others like this.
  9. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2010 Illinois

Devil's Advocate: why would I give multiple Fou'foune for a (now) overly acetic 2009 DDG when a fresh batch is on the horizon, especially considering that fou - fresh or aged - is still better than DDG?

10. thetomG

thetomG Savant (1,051) Feb 17, 2010 Illinois

BINGO.

All that being said, I suppose I could, in theory, see a scenario where someone fell into a few FFs and hasn't ever had the chance to try DDG and is willing to overpay. Highly unlikely IMO, but possible I guess...

11. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

seeing how that is what everyone is saying, I don't think that is really devil's advocate.

I will play devil's advocate to your statement. (Note: I don't have now nor have ever owned a DDG and currently have no FF, I have tried both beers numerous times)

FF is by far easier to get. Either wait until a store gets it or order online when available. Sure it cost a good amount but it isn't hard to get, but even still my store doesn't rip people off when it gets it, so it is at most $30. Plus when available in Belgium it is what? $12, and you can buy a shit ton. DDG was brewed 4 years ago and you cannot buy it anymore.

Yes a new batch is supposedly coming out, but who knows the quality or quantity of that, especially given LA's random at best QC issues. Either way, vintages, and first in series always trade for more (Crooked Stave Persica, BT, CR, Abyss, etc).

Comparing just based off taste is silly. For one, taste is subjective. Second, it isn't like DDG is a drain pour, it is a highly regarded beer that might be past it's peak, but not terrible (I had it last November and enjoyed it). Lastly, taste is not that high of a factor in overall trades (personal decisions? sure) otherwise wouldn't KH (or other Barleywines) be a steal for M? M has been said to be past prime, and not close to the top tasting beer. But that doesn't affect the trade value. I don't even know how many KH it would take to land an M, but I would guess it would involve a forklift.

p.s. OP I don't like the idea behind this thread as it does appear to be an auction for DDG. If you listed the beer FT I am guessing you have some personal value on it considering you listed beers you were ISO. Trade for what you think is fair rather than trying to squeeze every bit out of the beer.

JustXBeer likes this.
  12. black13

black13 Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Oregon

p.s. OP I don't like the idea behind this thread as it does appear to be an auction for DDG. If you listed the beer FT I am guessing you have some personal value on it considering you listed beers you were ISO. Trade for what you think is fair rather than trying to squeeze every bit out of the beer.[/quote]

Actually, quite the opposite. I haven't been trading much lately and was wondering if I was off. I'm actually considering going with a trade that includes no FF!

13. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2010 Illinois

I like where this is going...

First, your assumption of buying Fou'Foune from Belgium is off. Try €35 PLUS shipping, making the total cost closer to $60, or double what DDG originally cost. Etre may have been cheaper, but BiaB is who has it in stock...

Finding Fou'Foune on shelves is a lot more difficult than you make it out to be as well, even from shops that regularly receive Cantillon shipments. Yes, buying bottles of Fou'Foune is easier than finding a time machine to take you to 2009, but that's not saying much. Short of a gouge job from Etre/BiaB, it would be a LOT easier to get in line in San Marcos and wait out your half case of Duck Duck Gooze. Then there's a party afterward!

Tomme has confirmed that Lost Abbey intends to bottle DDG again in 2013. Sure, QC is a continuing issue with Lost Abbey, but rarely has it impacted their sour program.

Sure, taste is subjective; you're right. However, I don't think I know anyone with a well-experienced palate that would put any American sour over Fou'Foune. Do those people exist? Possibly, but let's be real: Fou'Foune is arguably the best regularly brewed lambic; Tomme - and every other American sour maker, for that matter - brew beers that desperately want to mimic lambic, hence Duck Duck Gooze (not gueuze/geuze) and the myriad of 'lambic-style' American Wilds.

And regarding trade value, you're right: taste is by no means the largest part of the equation. The largest factor for 'rare'/limited releases would probably be the desire to tick. I know from personal experience that Wooden Hell is garbage right now, and I'm sure many people who are currently trying to trade for it know as well, but they just need to put that notch in the bedpost.

Safely assuming that there will be a release this year, why should any ticker pay a premium for older, scarcer bottles from a release 3 1/2 years ago when they can trade with someone that will have potentially half a case (the 2009 release limit) in hand? Nobody can say what the bottle limit will be, of course, but it's fair to guess that it will be more than one bottle, and having a pool of active traders with multiple spare bottles in hand is going to drive the trade value down in the short term.

14. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Maven (1,396) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Here Here

15. nanobrew

I agree with most of your points as to why one would not want to trade for DDG, however, that does not mean it's value is not that high. Basing the value of a previous (4 years) batch one release off of a newer brewed batch is wrong. That is similar to the person in the Huna thread trying to say that Huna should trade for more this year because of last years batch #s being low. Each batch is different and will hold different values, especially when talking about spread out vintages. If Midnight Sun said they were going to brew M again, the value of the original would not plummet. Similar to Drie Fonteinen Framboos, Dirty Horse, AftW; the new batch is easier to trade for than the older/original batch.

I did not mean to state that FF is super easy to get, but it is possible. Sure trying to buy FF right now would be hard, but if you looked for it during the release it would have been easier. My friend brought me some FF from the recent batch, he says it was $10 to $12 at the brewery.

I feel your argument about American verse Belgian sours is irrelevant. There are plenty of other rarer and harder to trade for american sours (including LA). Therefore, it is possible for an American sour to be more "valuable" than a Belgian version, even if it the latter taste better. As you said, FF is a regularly produced lambic, just like any other regularly produced beer, it's value is going to be less than a beer produced infrequently, even compared to new batches. I would argue that the new DDG would trade for more than 1 FF (may be close to even, but time will tell, depending on cost, bottle count, hype, quality and whether a clusterfuck)

If someone is just trying to tick DDG, then yes, wait for the new batch. But if you are looking for batch 1 DDG...you gotta pay to play.

I agree.

just to make sure. I agree with your point; I would not trade multiple FF for DDG either, but I could see how that is what it would take. There are plenty of beers that "cost" too much to try. I would love things like KH, Rare, or BT09, but I am not willing to part with what it would take, that does not mean their "values" are not set there, it is just out of the reach of us 99%ers

yeahnatenelson likes this.
  16. black13

black13 Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Oregon

Cause tickers got tick :grimacing:

doobliebop likes this.
  17. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

It's frequently in stock there precisely because it is overpriced. Labeling Fou Foune's trade value at $60 is no different from using Ebay prices as trade value. FF is a roughly $30 beer, whether you buy it domestically on shelves or from overseas shipped. $30 is the most reasonable trade value if you're looking to factor in $4$.

As for trades... I look at it this way... "FT: DDG ISO: 1 FF" would fill up an inbox. "FT: 1 FF ISO: DDG" would get crickets. So, it's clearly higher than 1. 4 strikes me as absurd on a number of levels. So, the right number is probably somewhere between 2-3, and it's going to depend on how much FF one is sitting on and how badly they want a DDG.

18. doobliebop

doobliebop Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2010 Colorado

lolz

sources cited: just about any cdT post 2009 & red poppy 2012

bmcalister1897 likes this.
  19. nanobrew

and overcarbed FdA in 2010

20. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I dont think it was overcarbed. There was just too much fruit sediment at the bottom of some bottles causing the gushing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.