Foam/CO2 Problems

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by coldrushy, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldrushy

coldrushy Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2015

Hello,

I'm new so bare with me if some of my questions seem novice. I have a fairly new (1 year old) Nostalgia Kegerator. Yes, I'm well aware that they are cheap and a piece of junk, but buying a better one is not an option.

That being said, I'm having two issues, which I believe are connected but I'm not entirely sure.
    Issue #1: I can't seem to get a good pour without foam. It doesn't matter if I set the PSI levels at 6 or 15 or anywhere in between. The pours tend to be foamy -- especially the first few pours. The first few pours are basically all foam.
    Issue #2: Randomly, the kegerator fails to pour at all -- like nothing. If I jack up the PSI or lower it, it simply will not pour. I end up having to de-tap the keg, tap it again, then jack up the PSI again to finally get it moving and pouring. It's as if there's a pressure bubble somewhere that's preventing flow or something. From there, I have to play the 'adjust to the right pressure' game all over. Issue #2 doesn't happen a lot, but I would say it happens twice over a 3 month period that I have the same keg.

I'm assuming that both of these problems are related, but perhaps I have multiple issues here. What I'm hoping to get from some of you is some advice on items I can troubleshoot. I'm willing to troubleshoot, but I'm not entirely sure where to start. I thought about buying a new regulator, but it's not leaking (a very small CO2 has been through probably 5 or 6 kegs without needing a refill) and I don't want to spend the money on it if it's a matter of a gasket or something like that.

OK here are some things that hopefully will help your advice, should you be kind enough to provide it.

• My first step to troubleshoot this was to buy one of those fans that pumps cold air up into the tower. While that did wonders to make my beer colder -- especially the first couple pours, it didn't solve the foam problem. I'm still having the foam problem even though the tower is 100% cold.
    • My lines are not frozen.
    • I haven't gone into the kegerator to measure the exact internal temperature, but I'm willing to believe (for now) that the temperature is fine - it feels very cold without freezing. Some of you temperature purists will probably laugh at me, but I've been around enough properly working kegerators to believe that the temperature feels right. If ya'll truly believe that it's worth my time to inspect the temperature and play that game, I certainly will -- but that doesn't fix Issue #2 -- at least I don't think it would.
    • My beer line length is whatever it came with. I have reviewed some forums posts before and there seems to be a pretty healthy debate on whether it really matters. I'm hoping people have other suggestions before messing with beer lines. But once again, I'm at a loss so if that's a viable option (would it really fix issue #2?) I'm all ears.
    • I run water through the beer lines before tapping every keg.
    • Most of my kegs are standard IPAs -- nothing crazy.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to provide as much info as I can. I appreciate any help, suggestions, or tips you can provide. I'm wondering if I should just pay the $60 for a new regulator and see if that fixes everything. What do you all think about that?

Edit: So I stopped acting like an idiot and started searching the forums for foam problems and everyone seems to think temperature and beer line length is important so I'm guessing that is the next logical step. But that brings me to Issue #2 -- what the hell could possibly cause it to just stop flowing entirely?
    Phil

#1 coldrushy, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  2. bkbuilds

bkbuilds Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2015 Pennsylvania

My foam issue was solved by replacing the pretty much everything from the faucet to the coupler. Longer beer line, new shank, Perlick 630 faucet. The faucet that came with my el'cheapo kegerators had some strange spring in the faucet that the beer flowed across on its way out... Now once I get the PSI set correctly and the system equalizes, I get good foam free pours on the second + pour. Since I don't have a tower cooler foam is to be expected on the first pour.

3. coldrushy

coldrushy Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2015

Ugh, I was hoping that wasn't the overall answer. To top off the first two issues, I also have this weird issue where if the kegerator is stagnant with a keg that's kicked (tapped or untapped), the faucet gets stuck and is insanely hard to pull down. Once I get it unstuck, it pulls fine. Maybe this is related to the faucet somehow...

4. bkbuilds

Beer gets tacky when its sits exposed to air so I wouldn't be surprised if your faucet is sticking because of that. How long between uses when it starts to stick? I clean everything when I swap kegs and I've never had a faucet stick like that.

Also I'm just saying what fixed my issues... not saying you need to do what I did. Unfortunately with my el'cheapo unit I couldn't replace the beer line without replacing the shank due to the design of the barb. The Perlick facets are pretty sweet though, I would have changed them out even if I had resolved my issues before I got to that part.

5. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Good news is that you have read up on the common problems and will be able to fix this. Perhaps.

Bad news is that it will cost you time and money. Probably as much if not more than you "saved" with the bargain Nostalgia.

If you bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond, take it back. That appliance has one very specialized job and it doesn't do it very well.

FWIW,
    about 6' bev line, 3/16" ID.
    38F liquid temp.
    tower cooler.
    quality faucet.
    quality regulator.
    quality coupler.
    tower fan.

Good luck.

6. bkbuilds

X2 on Quality Regulator, if your regulator doesn't have at least indicators for ever 2 PSI then its not good. You need to be able to dial in 9PSI or 13 PSI ect. I bought the Micromatic duel gauge regulator and its awesome!

7. PortLargo

PortLargo Pooh-Bah (1,737) Oct 19, 2012 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society

Recommend you read these two posts:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/foaming.193492/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/help-with-balancing-my-system.248243/#post-3183725

Also:
    1. Get a decent thermometer (you can use it for other kitchen duties), then ignore air temp in the kegerator and concentrate on beer temps . . . without this number you will always struggle.
    2. Learn how to read a keg carbonation chart, this tells you what psi to set . . . without this number you will always struggle.
    3. Adjusting your line length is the final step. Resist the urge to fiddle with psi settings . . . until you can apply the pressure from steps 1 & 2 you will always struggle.
    4. Unrelated to your foam problem, but ditch the water for cleaning . . . search Google for Beer Line Cleaner
    Reference Q2: This doesn't appear to be a regulator problem. If you have a pressurized keg and nothing comes out the faucet then troubleshoot the liquid side for problems. My guess is you have an el-cheapo faucet that likes to mess with you. Give considerable thoughts to replacing with a stainless Perlick . . . for less than 50 bucks you can have a faucet that mourners will be pouring from at your wake.

8. ravensjeff

ravensjeff Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2013 Maryland

Replacing your original standard faucet with a Perlick one will solve sticky faucet issues completely. They seal differently. Standard faucets stick with inactivity.

Crappy regulators are the root of all evil. Sounds like you have one.

9. nwyxf

nwyxf Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2015 Georgia

I have a somewhat similar issue regarding my pour coming to a halt. Mine however, happens ewhen my generator temperature falls below 41 degrees. I can have fine pours above 41 degrees, but get any colder and everything stops. Any ideas why this is happening?

10. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (1,162) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

What is your beer temperature?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.